Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,814 Members 44,114 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] ADB filesystem plugin for Total Commander

Tip us?

sztupy
Old
(Last edited by sztupy; 23rd March 2012 at 01:46 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 856

DONATE TO ME
Default [APP] ADB filesystem plugin for Total Commander

EDIT: Aleq has posted updated versions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=36

Checked whether a project for creating a WinCE like plugin for total commander already exist, but couldn't find one, so here it is.

Disclaimer: This plugin is still in it's infancy, therefore it might crash you, your PC or your phone. It might not even start. But it'll improve.

1. What's this?
This is a filesystem plugin for total commander that let's you browse and modify the contents of your phone while using total commander

2. Why?
Although there are some android file managers out there, none of them I've found integrates into total commander. And if you've already using tcmd as a general file manager you usually don't want to open up a new program just to access your filesystem.

3. How?
The plugin uses the "adb shell" interface to communicate with the phone. It issues simple linux commands, parses the results and shows them to you in tcmd.

4. What's needed?
Total commander on your PC, busybox on your phone (root is not needed, but it will be used if available), and USB debugging turned on as well. Next download the plugin, open it in total commander and let it install.

5. Download location?
Download the latest version from here: http://github.com/sztupy/adbfsplugin/downloads

6. Supported features?
- directory listing
- copying from/to phone (very slow)
- copying/moving/renaming inside the phone
- creating and deleting directories

7. Whats needed?
- Better error handling
- Command line interface
- Attribute changing
- APK management
- etc.

8. Common pitfalls/limitations/etc.
- If the plugin can't start the adb server, wait a bit, then try it again
- The plugin won't ask you whether you want to overwrite a file or not, it will overwrite it
- Uploading and downloading files is very-very slow
- The plugin starts by trying to use su. If it can't get permission to use su (for example you pressed deny on the superuser page), it will run as a normal user.

Licence: GPLv3 (with the added exception that allows you to use the plugin with total commander... duh) and CC-BY-SA

Screenshot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tcmd.jpg
Views:	12636
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	414657  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sztupy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sztupy
Old
Thanks Meter 856

DONATE TO ME
reserved for later use

compi_hu
Old
(Last edited by compi_hu; 10th October 2010 at 12:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
- deleted -

tristan202
Old
Thanks Meter 257
Excellent. I will follow the development of this plugin closely. For now I can't use it. I get an error when trying to browse the phone.

Code:
<0005 - stat failed>

EDIT: I am on a HTC Hero running CyanogenMOD 6.

The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'. So I installed Arch...

playya
Old
Thanks Meter 1,954

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for this... I have been using total commander for a few years now and I love it. I also use it to open up apk files and change images within them if I need too. I have made a lot of changes to my framework-res and com.htc.resources png files by simply using total commander. So great job on this

HTCore
Old
Thanks Meter 50
Perfect, thank you. Must needed tool for total commander and android users.

ratson
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 31
this is fine.
-it doesn't play nice with older busybox versions, there is an app (called Busybox) on the market that tries to install/update busybox, it is a great help
-symbolic links are not playing nice

other ways this is amazing

f3d0r
Old
(Last edited by f3d0r; 14th October 2010 at 09:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 45
very nice idea

It would be nice if the plugin would use my already installed adb server instead of starting it's own (maybe in the future outdated) version.

sztupy
Old
Thanks Meter 856

DONATE TO ME
Symbolink links and more compatibility with busybox < 1.17.1 is coming soon. I'm also working on linking this with adb putty, so running commands from the command line should work too.

jjwa
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I have installed the plugin, and have my phone connected in debug mode, but how do I access it now? I confirmed that adb shell is able to connect, but in Total Commander I see no way to access my phone. (The drive letters that are usually used for access while mounted don't work.)

I have experience with Total Commander, I have used adb shell, but I can't really figure this thing out...

Tags
adb, plugin, tcmd, total commander