My original thread was getting cluttered, and XDA asked me to make some changes, so here is the new thread on HOW TO DO THE MOD.
Breaking news available via my twitter feed, or #vibrantFFC
The US/T-Mobile variant of the Samsung Galaxy S had it's FFC borked prior to manufacturing. This has left us an easy way to add it back in and open up the ability to explore video calling. From my experience thus far, their is poor support for software for FFC's in general, but this seems to be changing. As more of these cameras make it out to devs, expect to see more video calling and chatting apps to start appearing in the near future.
To accomplish this you need a few things:
- A camera from the international Galaxy S variant, the i9000s. These are available through a wholesaler that requires a minimum order of 3, sometimes more. If you want to go this route and find a buddy, see my thread for that here.
- A small size 0 flat head screw driver and phillips screw driver. Most eyeglass repair kits include screw drivers that are close enough in size to work.
- An iPod opener tool, or something similiar.
- Something to remove the paint from the digitizer where the FFC goes. Denatured alcohol, and the stronger goo gone varieties are known to work
- Some balls (not really - its easy) and common sense (goes a long ways)!
- An FFC compatibale ROM - eugene's froyo (2.2) or Bionix (2.1)
- Open your phone - Remove the battery cover, sd card, sim card, battery. remove the 7 screws around the back plate, then use the iPod opener tool to snap the rear plate off.
- Unsnap the various buckles to release the motherboard.
- remove the speaker and original camera
- turn the main board clockwise for about an inch to allow some space to work
- locate the FFC molding. It is above where the original camera was located. You can dry fit the new camera in place to see where the FFC goes. This is the area that the paint needs to be removed from
- Use your remover of choice and some qtips to get that paint off of there
- Let things completely dry before putting back together. 10 - 30 minutes should be fine
- snap new camera in place, check your work.
- If it looks good, installation is reverse of removal.
Some ROMs (2.2 base) do not include the font camera driver. If you cannot get it to work, try copying the attached file (unzip first - should have .yuv extension) to /system/camera on your phone. (requres root)