Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 42,689 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Live wallpaper] Video Live Wallpaper 0.84b

Tip us?

pikipirs
Old
(Last edited by pikipirs; 20th March 2011 at 04:14 PM.) Reason: New version
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Default [Live wallpaper] Video Live Wallpaper 0.84b

Another creation of mine.

This is a blank live wallpaper that allows you to set your own video as a live wallpaper animation!
Lots of codecs and formats are supported.

You need to have your own video (preferably in MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 or divx) and set it in the Live Wallpaper's preferences. You can also set an entire folder (and optionally all its subfolders) and the Live Wallpaper will choose between all videos inside (randomly or not, your choice).

If you don't have any videos to play with, try this one or this one or this one. Download them with your computer and transfer them on your Android device, or downoad with the Android device directly (a common download destination is /sdcard/download). Then select one of them with the Video Live Wallpaper. (BTW, these videos are all reencoded electric sheeps designed by cqfd93 of the electric sheep project. Original links to the sheeps: 22906|22706|22551)

The preferences of the Video Live Wallpaper include Help which should help you get started with making your video(s) as live-wallpaper-friendly as possible. A copy of the same help document can also be accessed from here if you want.

Use the following link on your android device or scan this QR code:

Alternatively, you can get the Video Live Wallpaper from this link:
VLW-084b.apk [via mediafire]
Or you can get it from the bottom of this post if you are registrered to xda-developers.

0.84b is the most current version.
Attached Files
File Type: apk VLW-080b.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.16 MB, 1705 views)
File Type: apk VLW-082b.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.16 MB, 1073 views)
File Type: apk VLW-083b.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.16 MB, 973 views)
File Type: apk VLW-084b.apk - [Click for QR Code] (2.16 MB, 2990 views)
Dumb phones --> SE XPERIA X1 --> Google Nexus One --> HTC Desire HD --> Samsung Galaxy S III

Apps that I've developed:
* WiimoteController 0.6 Beta for Android
* Mario Live Wallpaper 0.94b for Android
* Video Live Wallpaper 0.84b for Android
* App Dialer 3.0 for Android
Do you like my development? Please consider buying me a cup of coffee (or a pizza).
You could also help me by getting a free Dropbox account using this link (both of us get extra 250 MB).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pikipirs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pikipirs
Old
(Last edited by pikipirs; 20th March 2011 at 04:18 PM.) Reason: New version's changelog
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Changelog:
  • 0.84b, published 2011-03-20 [from post 36]
    - fixed a bug which prevented this app from working on certain devices like Dell Streak (thanks to guyver3869 for testing)
    - fixed a minor memory usage bug, still working on the bigger one
  • 0.83b, published 2010-12-06 [from post 30]
    - fixed a bug where memory consumption would slowly raise and eventually crashed the app
    - a new feature/setting called Rendering mode is introduced
  • 0.82b, published 2010-10-13 [from post 13]
    - fixed a bug where changelog kept showing in settings. Sorry about this!
  • 0.81b, published 2010-10-13 [from post 13]
    - fixed a bug where selecting certain directories would cause force closes
    - fixed a bug where selecting a different video file would have no effect (thanks to rod for discovering the bug)
    - corrected grammatical errors in help
  • 0.8b, published 2010-10-09 [from post 3]
    - initial version

Frequently asked questions - FAQ

I've downloaded and installed it. How do I open it?
This is a live wallpaper, not an app, you can't open it in a traditional sense. That is why the market button is disabled and that is why there is no app icon.
Follow this procedure to set it as a live wallpaper:
  • go to your home screen
  • press the menu button on your device
  • select "Wallpaper"
  • select "Live Wallpapers" *
  • search and select for "Video Live Wallpaper"
  • select "Settings" to see the settings and select the video file to play back. Then select "Set wallpaper" to activate it
(* if you don't see "Live Wallpapers" option in the "Select wallpaper from" menu then your device probably doesn't support Live Wallpapers)

My video loads but it's very jerky/looses frames alot, and it makes the home screen app very slow. What to do?
Not every codec and format is the best choice for the Video Live Wallpaper. The maximum video resolution recommended is 854x480, the maximum FPS at that resolution is 20. You can go as high as 30, but then decrease the resolution. MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MJPEG and MPEG-4 are the best codecs to choose for, while x263 and x264 are two of the worst possible ones because they are complex. If you have your video in a .flv or .mp4 format, try converting them to .mpg or .avi. In any case, please read this page (also embedded in the live wallpaper's help) to learn which kinds of videos are good and which aren't.

Why is there no sound? Will sound ever be supported?
Sound will likely never be supported, because:
  • it's extremely hard (with some codecs even impossible) to sync live wallpaper video to its audio due to how live wallpapers are handled (they often have to pause, they are often killed or slowed down by android in order to make swiping look smoother, for example, etc.)
  • sound just doesn't belong in an app that would play it all the time (or at least all the time that you're on a home screen). Shorter non-spontanious sounds are fine in a live wallpaper, but a long-lasting sound that never stops just starts to annoy the user after a while. Imagine for example you're in a meeting/at your job/in class and you can't even check the time on your phone without interrupting the said event. Imagine someone calling you and you suddenly hear two sounds out of your phone. Imagine listening to mp3s and being in the home menu at the same time. Sound just shoudn't be a part of any live wallpaper.

Please enable Move to SD.
No. Live wallpapers shouln't be movable to the SD. To learn why, read the official developer guide by Google.

Why does this Live wallpaper require internet access?
It's to download and show ads. They appear in the Live wallpaper's settings.

I can't find this on the market. Where is it?
Try to access it on your device directly using this link. If your Market can't find it then you probably have a version of Android prior to 2.1 which doesn't support Live Wallpapers.

I've downloaded the APK but I don't know how to/can't install it. How do I do it?
Try this:
  • on the phone, go to Settings -> Applications -> check "Unknown sources" *
  • find yourself a file browser on the Market. ASTRO File Manager is a good choice
  • open your file browser app, search for the APK file on your SD card and launch it. The phone should offer you a dialog to install the live wallpaper (or to select the Package Installer)
  • later when installed, go to home screen, press the menu key, select Wallpaper -> Live Wallpapers, search for Video Live Wallpaper
(* if your phone doesn't show the "Unknown sources" option, your carrier has disabled it. You might want to try one of the APK sideloading applications instead, like this one (you need a PC))

I can't download the APK. My phone says "Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone". What to do?
Try downloading the app from the market first. If you can't, then download the APK with your computer and transfer the APK to the phone's SD Card. Or download with your phone using a downloading app, like ByteTornado.

This LWP is very cool. Thanks! How can I contribute?
In a number of ways:
Dumb phones --> SE XPERIA X1 --> Google Nexus One --> HTC Desire HD --> Samsung Galaxy S III

Do you like my development? Please consider buying me a cup of coffee (or a pizza).
You could also help me by getting a free Dropbox account using this link (both of us get extra 250 MB).
The Following User Says Thank You to pikipirs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MrCDWJR
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
great job! trying this now
RETIRED:

-T-Mobile G1: All white front and back running Super E 1.0.2
-Google Nexus One running Enoms rom.
-LG G2X running Eagles Blood
-Samsung Galaxy S3 running Universe S4

Currently rockin Nexus 5 running Purity ROM with most recent Hellscore

frankinstine
Old
Thanks Meter 2394

DONATE TO ME
Awesome job, it does work with some mp4 videos too, just a thought, you can try adding zoom out and timed

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
T-Mobile HTC One M8
Provider: T-Mobile US
Recovery: TWRP
Baseband: 1.16.21331931.LA24G_20.31A.4145.02L_F
Rom: My AOKP May 8
Kernel: Stock

Naffets
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Sounds great, but how much does it hammer the battery?
Samsung Galaxy S3 'Pebble' blue, 16gb
Sony Xperia Z, Black, 16gb + 32gb Class 10 MicroSD
Microsoft Surface RT 32GB + 32GB UHS-I Card

MrCDWJR
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naffets View Post
Sounds great, but how much does it hammer the battery?
i havent seen too much battery drain with this so so far so good.

@OP are there any ideal settings for the best quality or performance?
RETIRED:

-T-Mobile G1: All white front and back running Super E 1.0.2
-Google Nexus One running Enoms rom.
-LG G2X running Eagles Blood
-Samsung Galaxy S3 running Universe S4

Currently rockin Nexus 5 running Purity ROM with most recent Hellscore

ermacwins
Old
Thanks Meter 668

DONATE TO ME
trying this now, has google added slovenia to to market list (so you can release paid apps on market?)
LG Nexus 4: AOSPAL 4.0 [BETA6] 20140222
Samsung Galaxy SII: AOSP NeatROM v2.8
LG G PAD 8.3: Paranoid Android 4.1 Beta 2
iPad 2

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post44803298

mssmison
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 231
very cool app Good job.

pikipirs
Old
(Last edited by pikipirs; 12th October 2010 at 06:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 68

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddie View Post
i havent seen too much battery drain with this so so far so good.

@OP are there any ideal settings for the best quality or performance?
Depends on the codec of the video. Mpeg1, mpeg2, mjpeg and divx are amongst the best, x264 (mp4) is not great because it's complex to decode. See help for details for the best codecs and resolutions/frame rates. Or just do the similar to the sample videos: 560x420 (4:3), 20 fps (can go up to 23.976), divx codec, 2500-3500 kbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinstine View Post
Awesome job, it does work with some mp4 videos too, just a thought, you can try adding zoom out and timed

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App
A tough one, since the rendering is heavily optimized on the idea that the entire video doesn't have to be decoded.

What do you mean by timed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermacwins View Post
trying this now, has google added slovenia to to market list (so you can release paid apps on market?)
No, not yet (what a shame since we're in EU, we can't even buy paid apps yet).

bud760
Old
Thanks Meter 2
awesome app!!!