5,598,297 Members 47,707 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GAME]Cellulon: Attack of the Virii -- Released!

Tip us?

MarcusMaximus04@gmail.com
Old
(Last edited by MarcusMaximus04@gmail.com; 23rd October 2010 at 10:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default [GAME]Cellulon: Attack of the Virii -- Released!

I've put up a game for Android using OpenGL ES 2.0 on the market. It's called Cellulon: Attack of the Virii.

It's a platformer in which the player plays as a single-celled citizen of planet Cellulon. Cellulon is under attack from an evil race of viruses called the Virii. The basic point of each level is to try to make it to the far right of the level.

Anyway, I'm gearing up for release and would like to offer up a Beta Test version here with 3 of the finalized levels as a thanks to the xda community.

So far I've been testing on a Nexus One, Droid, and myTouch Slide, so if you have a different phone and experience something that seems really odd(like, say, crashing), please let me know.

Thank you and Enjoy!

PS. The controls: tilt to move left/right, scroll ball/dpad center -or- menu to jump. Swipe down on the screen to slam down(in order to kill an enemy beneath you). If you have spines, press on the screen in the direction you want to shoot to shoot one. Note that on phones with capacitive menu buttons, slamming/shooting cannot be done at the same time as holding it down.

Update: Now released on the Market for $1.99(for a limited time)! Also has a demo version that has the first three levels(2 of which are different from the version here). Thank you everyone who's tested this.

Get it now in the Android Market!

Oh, and here's some screenshots:

Attached Files
File Type: apk Cellulon.apk - [Click for QR Code] (3.87 MB, 336 views)
Device: Nexus 4/Nexus 7/Nexus 10

elracing21
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Ok so im not sure how you take criticism so i'll go easy.

First off. Props on making this game, im sure it takes alot and i can tell your taking your time with this.

I noticed its a little boring, you should add more verticallity like in one part of the level where you jump on a platform and on another one is another enemy. I dont like the controls. I wish you can just hit the menu again wile in the ait to perform the slam move. This would be easier.

I didnt get any other things to test out like the spike you mentioned.

You should add more monsters with more platforms and maybe coins or mini cells to collect around the level for a better score at the end of each level. Maybe add a grade score?

IDK this is just some suggestions.

Good luck
T-Mobile
  1. Sidekick slide
  2. Sidekick Lx2009
  3. G1
  4. G2
  5. HTC One S

Samsung Galaxy S3
First Samsung device so go easy on me!

Rooted
Rom: Stock
Kernel: Trinity by Morfic

If I help you please thank me.

Old
(Last edited by MarcusMaximus04@gmail.com; 11th October 2010 at 10:57 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Thanks for the feedback! I get what you're saying with a lot of this, and have thought of adding a score(more enemies and different upgrades are coming in future updates). The only real reason why I haven't so far, actually, is because I didn't want to deal with displaying text in opengl(I probably shouldn't be so lazy).

Also, valid concern about the slamming. I'll take this into consideration.

One note: It's only the first level that's that flat. It's intended to be an introduction and probably on release will have pop-ups when you encounter certain areas of it to give instructions on how to play.

If you continue on to level 2/3, you'll see there's a lot more acrobatics/enemies on platforms/etc.

At any rate, I'm fine with criticism, and I certainly appreciate your input(plus, I'll receive MUCH worse when I post the game to the Market).

Also, you didn't have any complaints about stability and the like, I guess I can check off another phone for compatibility.

kevin2516
Old
Thanks Meter 1350
can you make it work for the wildfire?

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2516 View Post
can you make it work for the wildfire?
Ah, sorry, no. This uses OpenGL ES 2.0, which isn't backwards compatible. In order to make it work, I'd essentially have to redo all of my drawing code and even then it would probably look terrible.

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
New version is up. Beta 2 now with performance enhancements and some great new features.

elracing21
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Sweet goin to test the new version out. Oh and yes its totally smooth on the g2.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
T-Mobile
  1. Sidekick slide
  2. Sidekick Lx2009
  3. G1
  4. G2
  5. HTC One S

Samsung Galaxy S3

Rooted

elracing21
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Ok just tried version 2. Also went on to level 2. Pretty sneaky of you to hide the second gene on the left wile dropping lol.

Ok some more feedback... When slamming I noticed when you bounce off of an enemy you never bounce up straight. Idk. If this is intentional or not but just saying. I like how the spikes shoot out. I don't like how the levels just end and too need to back out to the main menu to go to level 2. Also at the end of every level you have a piece of blank background it doesn't look good.

The pop ups do help a lot so props for that.

Keep it up man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusMaximus04@gmail.com View Post
New version is up. Beta 2 now with performance enhancements and some great new features.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
T-Mobile
  1. Sidekick slide
  2. Sidekick Lx2009
  3. G1
  4. G2
  5. HTC One S

Samsung Galaxy S3

Rooted

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elracing21 View Post
Ok just tried version 2. Also went on to level 2. Pretty sneaky of you to hide the second gene on the left wile dropping lol.

Ok some more feedback... When slamming I noticed when you bounce off of an enemy you never bounce up straight. Idk. If this is intentional or not but just saying. I like how the spikes shoot out. I don't like how the levels just end and too need to back out to the main menu to go to level 2. Also at the end of every level you have a piece of blank background it doesn't look good.

The pop ups do help a lot so props for that.

Keep it up man.
Thanks again. I hadn't noticed that level 1 doesn't give a pop-up for retrying/main menu when you win. That's a bug and will be fixed in the next version.

I know what you mean about the blank background. I'll try to get that fixed as well(I don't THINK that'll be too hard.)

Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Another update. Beta 4. Doesn't really add much but makes it a bit better looking(I think) and gets much more stable and a bit higher framerates.

Tags
android, cellulon, game