5,598,086 Members 42,887 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anything related to Sound: features or fix requests. v10: Bass Boost

Tip us?

supercurio
Old
(Last edited by supercurio; 10th July 2011 at 08:18 PM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 5063

DONATE TO ME
Default Anything related to Sound: features or fix requests. v10: Bass Boost

Update: Kernel driver source is also released now!
for Kernel and App developers: https://github.com/project-voodoo/sound_kernel_patches
Full Kernels repositories: https://github.com/project-voodoo

Models supported in sources: GT-I9000, Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G, Fascinate, M110S, Galaxy Tab and Nexus S!

GT-I9003 board and audio hardware are entirely different and not supported.

28/03/2011 : 5.5.3 release: includes Voodoo sound v7 :definite fix for the DAC direct call issue with much better audio path management, lagfix code updated.
21/03/2011 : 5.5.1 release: includes Voodoo sound v6 (fixes reported by some users muted earpiece during calls with DAC direct option enabled: proved inefficient)
17/03/2011 : 5.5 release: includes Voodoo sound v5 and a new kind of 16GB Galaxy S.
02/03/2011 : 5.4.2 maintenance release added support to Samsung Froyo 2.2, Ext4 conversion for some new Spanish 8GB phones.
31/01/2011 : 5.4.1 release: added missing cifs.ko
31/01/2011 : 5.4 release: includes Voodoo sound driver version 4!
27/01/2011 : 5.3 release

FROYO kernels:
Flash with ClockWorkMod recovery or SGS Kernel Flasher App (available in Market - needs root)
Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-unsigned-update.zip

Flash with Odin or Heimdall.
Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-odin-pda.tar

Note: This Kernel is the reference implementation for Galaxy S GT-I9000 (will work also on GT-I9000M GT-I9000T). Other Galaxy S variants will have issues or won't boot.
It also contains the usual stable Voodoo lagfix, and ClockWorkMod as default recovery.
If you don't know how to flash kernels, I recommend the community written guide, updated by Eitam Doodai

Don't forget to support my development effort so I can continue working hard on it

You can also take a look at an additional list of potential features

Other kernels implementing Voodoo sound:

You'll find plenty of other kernels implementing Voodoo sound for your device in this forum

"Voodoo Control" in market screenshots:

A few countries miss Market, so I put also a download link. Downloading through market is still strongly recommended if you can:
http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/

FAQ:

How to get the best sound quality ?

The best quality for headphone is obtained:
1/ by setting the Android digital sound level to the maximum or close to it
2/ then using the new analog level to choose the sound pressure that suits your needs
This way, you will get the lowest hiss, best signal-to-noise ratio and lowest distortion.

Original post:

Hello
My first bounty, lagfix is a success so here I am again!

Galaxy S line phone have a few sound issues and as a sound junkie I'm working on improving things with Voodoo sound

Quote:
Here is what I'm implementing for the first Voodoo sound release:

Headphone amp analog gain:
Reduce the hiss or give you a much louder output. Configurable from very low levels to very high.
Already tested with sensitive in-ear very prone to hiss and brilliantly confirmed with Sennheiser high-end 300 Ohms headphones.

Hardware Parametric equalizer:
Change the frequency response to correct your headphone deficiencies or to adjust the sound how you like. Use 0 battery and work on every sound source. 100% configurable

Hardware 3D effect:
Finally, a good specialization effect. Can improve sound-stage if used wisely. Configurable.

Here is the link to Voodoo sound source repository if you are curious about it.
Those are new features, exciting capabilities your phone didn't had before
Galaxy S phone is at the top of the line about sound capabilities because it uses a high end Wolfson WM8994 sound codec.
That's why it's worth it.

I receive already a lot of a few feature asking to fix things, and it's not what i intended to do.

Quote:
If you have a feature request or suggestion please
  • explain it in this topic
  • tell how much you can support the dev effort.

I can be crazy features request. Who knows, sometimes crazy stuff can be done
Then I'll do my best to work on it and you'll vote with donations if you are satisfied with it.
Your turn!
The Following 198 Users Say Thank You to supercurio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashwinds
Old
(Last edited by ashwinds; 12th October 2010 at 05:54 AM.) Reason: Added explanation
Thanks Meter 50
Good luck curio!! Thanks again for the wonderful work on #project-voodoo.

You already know my feature request - my Sennheisser iphone headset working again on the Galaxy S would be awesome. From what I read, here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=713350 the ground and mic is reversed on iphone headsets which keep them from working on Galaxy S - if they can be remapped internally, I'd presume it works.

Will be sure to donate some $ if that happens or if in fact i like the difference i hear on what comes off these changes. Good luck again!

PS: $15 for the headphone fix AND an indeterminate $ for how much I like the other changes

morfic
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 12390
Possible ideas:

1) Change headphone-out to line-out
2) use headphone jack for spdif to go 3.5mm mono out on phone to coax in on external dac -> send up to 24/96 to external dac

$25 per item
The Following User Says Thank You to morfic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cba1986
Old
Thanks Meter 414
Lightbulb good work

A louder speakerphone and earphone.

I can't wait for beta 5. It will blow us away!!!

truemagic
Old
Thanks Meter 47
how about an Equalizer in the ringtone?? So I can choose "Music Clarity" profile for my ringtone, I don't need heavy bass for my ringtone

Any app can do it (Eg. rings extended app which allows you to select ur own mp3 as ringtone)

crossbone85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Heyho! There's something that has been bugging me all the time. It's the sensitivity of the built in microphone. For example if you record videos in a very loud environment (like concerts for example) you only hear noise on playback. Is there any way for auto adjustment of the mic sensitivity, or at least a way to do this manually?

I would donate 15$ for some fix for this issue :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

KhaaL
Old
Thanks Meter 0
One sound related issue that always annoyed me is that the sound seems to work in the old OSS way, that is only one application may give sound at one. For instance, if you listen to music and you get a SMS, then the music is paused while the notification is playing.

is it possible to make them play simultaniously?

GalaxyFan88
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbone85 View Post
Heyho! There's something that has been bugging me all the time. It's the sensitivity of the built in microphone. For example if you record videos in a very loud environment (like concerts for example) you only hear noise on playback. Is there any way for auto adjustment of the mic sensitivity, or at least a way to do this manually?

I would donate 15$ for some fix for this issue :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
+1

I had to delete a lot of videos which I made on a concert because the sound was completely distorted. The mic is definitely too sensitive.

eeyunopper
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Default Lineout

£25 for a switchable headphone out and "true" lineout" from headphone jack.

You're my hero..... :)
The Following User Says Thank You to eeyunopper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ed10000
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaaL View Post
One sound related issue that always annoyed me is that the sound seems to work in the old OSS way, that is only one application may give sound at one. For instance, if you listen to music and you get a SMS, then the music is paused while the notification is playing.

is it possible to make them play simultaniously?
+1

10char

The Following User Says Thank You to ed10000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
voodoo