Anything related to Sound: features or fix requests. v10: Bass Boost

Search This thread

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
Update: Kernel driver source is also released now!
for Kernel and App developers: https://github.com/project-voodoo/sound_kernel_patches
Full Kernels repositories: https://github.com/project-voodoo

Models supported in sources: GT-I9000, Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G, Fascinate, M110S, Galaxy Tab and Nexus S!

GT-I9003 board and audio hardware are entirely different and not supported.

28/03/2011 : 5.5.3 release: includes Voodoo sound v7 :definite fix for the DAC direct call issue with much better audio path management, lagfix code updated.
21/03/2011 : 5.5.1 release: includes Voodoo sound v6 (fixes reported by some users muted earpiece during calls with DAC direct option enabled: proved inefficient)
17/03/2011 : 5.5 release: includes Voodoo sound v5 and a new kind of 16GB Galaxy S.
02/03/2011 : 5.4.2 maintenance release added support to Samsung Froyo 2.2, Ext4 conversion for some new Spanish 8GB phones.
31/01/2011 : 5.4.1 release: added missing cifs.ko
31/01/2011 : 5.4 release: includes Voodoo sound driver version 4!
27/01/2011 : 5.3 release

FROYO kernels:
Flash with ClockWorkMod recovery or SGS Kernel Flasher App (available in Market - needs root)
Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-unsigned-update.zip

Flash with Odin or Heimdall.
Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-odin-pda.tar

Note: This Kernel is the reference implementation for Galaxy S GT-I9000 (will work also on GT-I9000M GT-I9000T). Other Galaxy S variants will have issues or won't boot.
It also contains the usual stable Voodoo lagfix, and ClockWorkMod as default recovery.
If you don't know how to flash kernels, I recommend the community written guide, updated by Eitam Doodai

Don't forget to support my development effort so I can continue working hard on it :)

You can also take a look at an additional list of potential features

Other kernels implementing Voodoo sound:

You'll find plenty of other kernels implementing Voodoo sound for your device in this forum ;)

"Voodoo Control" in market screenshots:

A few countries miss Market, so I put also a download link. Downloading through market is still strongly recommended if you can:
http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/

VoodooControlApp-0.3.png
VoodooControlApp-0.3-headphone-amp.png
VoodooControlApp-0.3-recording-options.png

FAQ:

How to get the best sound quality ?

The best quality for headphone is obtained:
1/ by setting the Android digital sound level to the maximum or close to it
2/ then using the new analog level to choose the sound pressure that suits your needs
This way, you will get the lowest hiss, best signal-to-noise ratio and lowest distortion.

Original post:

Hello:)
My first bounty, lagfix is a success so here I am again!

Galaxy S line phone have a few sound issues and as a sound junkie I'm working on improving things with Voodoo sound

Here is what I'm implementing for the first Voodoo sound release:

Headphone amp analog gain:
Reduce the hiss or give you a much louder output. Configurable from very low levels to very high.
Already tested with sensitive in-ear very prone to hiss and brilliantly confirmed with Sennheiser high-end 300 Ohms headphones.

Hardware Parametric equalizer:
Change the frequency response to correct your headphone deficiencies or to adjust the sound how you like. Use 0 battery and work on every sound source. 100% configurable

Hardware 3D effect:
Finally, a good specialization effect. Can improve sound-stage if used wisely. Configurable.

Here is the link to Voodoo sound source repository if you are curious about it.
Those are new features, exciting capabilities your phone didn't had before :D
Galaxy S phone is at the top of the line about sound capabilities because it uses a high end Wolfson WM8994 sound codec.
That's why it's worth it.

I receive already a lot of a few feature asking to fix things, and it's not what i intended to do.

If you have a feature request or suggestion please
  • explain it in this topic
  • tell how much you can support the dev effort.

I can be crazy features request. Who knows, sometimes crazy stuff can be done ;)
Then I'll do my best to work on it and you'll vote with donations if you are satisfied with it.
Your turn!

Last edited:

ashwinds

Aug 10, 2010
Good luck curio!! Thanks again for the wonderful work on #project-voodoo.

You already know my feature request - my Sennheisser iphone headset working again on the Galaxy S would be awesome. From what I read, here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=713350 the ground and mic is reversed on iphone headsets which keep them from working on Galaxy S - if they can be remapped internally, I'd presume it works.

Will be sure to donate some $ if that happens or if in fact i like the difference i hear on what comes off these changes. Good luck again!

PS: $15 for the headphone fix AND an indeterminate $ for how much I like the other changes :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ghghgg
D

Deleted member 2086469

how about an Equalizer in the ringtone?? So I can choose "Music Clarity" profile for my ringtone, I don't need heavy bass for my ringtone :D

Any app can do it (Eg. rings extended app which allows you to select ur own mp3 as ringtone)

crossbone85

Aug 26, 2010
Heyho! There's something that has been bugging me all the time. It's the sensitivity of the built in microphone. For example if you record videos in a very loud environment (like concerts for example) you only hear noise on playback. Is there any way for auto adjustment of the mic sensitivity, or at least a way to do this manually?

I would donate 15$ for some fix for this issue :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

KhaaL

Jul 1, 2010
One sound related issue that always annoyed me is that the sound seems to work in the old OSS way, that is only one application may give sound at one. For instance, if you listen to music and you get a SMS, then the music is paused while the notification is playing.

is it possible to make them play simultaniously?

GalaxyFan88

Jun 27, 2010
Münster
Heyho! There's something that has been bugging me all the time. It's the sensitivity of the built in microphone. For example if you record videos in a very loud environment (like concerts for example) you only hear noise on playback. Is there any way for auto adjustment of the mic sensitivity, or at least a way to do this manually?

+1

I had to delete a lot of videos which I made on a concert because the sound was completely distorted. The mic is definitely too sensitive. :)

ed10000

Jun 9, 2010
One sound related issue that always annoyed me is that the sound seems to work in the old OSS way, that is only one application may give sound at one. For instance, if you listen to music and you get a SMS, then the music is paused while the notification is playing.

is it possible to make them play simultaniously?

+1

10char

Reactions: ziggyh4x0r

stranger812

Aug 8, 2010
One thing really pissed me is that whenever I use 3G for exp: surf web or update apps in market.

My westone always gives me a static noise similar to when you have a phone call near the speaker. But if I switch to a cheap earphone this go away. I want to use my fav ear phone on my sgs :(. 15 bucks for a fix. Thank you :)

And by the way my sgs sound a bit too loud not too soft like others :-?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Aj12

Sep 16, 2010

+2

€15.00 (already promised another €10.00 from before developments of Voodoo Sound.. so +€5.00 for this feature)

FloridaK

Aug 6, 2009
London
How about sorting out A2DP? Audio streaming is absolutely useless on this (and from what I can tell quite a few Android devices).

I'd be more than willing to donate £15

Florida.

titooo7

Sep 29, 2010
London
I really don't mind the current loudness of the volume. I think the limits are there for a reason, but of course I would support any work done to improve the quality of the audio :)

KaliKot

Sep 15, 2010
Would it be possible to transfer calls to the media/ringer/notifications output so that the headphones can hear it?

cantIntoCode

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 29, 2010
Glasgow
God curio's at it again. But seriously, we can't thank you enough for voodoo lag fix and I now can't wait for voodoo sound! The Galaxy S' audio just isn't up to the standards it should be..

mcmac7

Apr 30, 2010
make it so the audio of a phone call comes through the headphones. when i plug my phone into my car via 3.5mm jack for listening to music it's fine. but when a call comes through, the call plays through the handset (and not on speaker phone either).

$15

dsellers2

Dec 10, 2007
Erlanger
Moving On?

Hi Curio,
I think you have done a phenominal job on the Lagfix Ext4 Data Conversion, but I'm not convinced that it's completely optimized or "fixed".
Heres why:
I use Touchdown with exchange among a few other Database stuff, and i still see a lot of lag on this device when using these apps.
I'm not sure what folder is used for Touchdown(probably Database) but there is still much lag there. If some apps use folders other than the Data Folder we still have some lag... Do you agree?

When you converted to EXT4 it was only the Data Folder correct? Is this the only directory able to be converted? Dont our apps use other directoryies?

When I used the ext2 fix(Briefly) I believe there were three or four folder converted. Doing this fixed the lag completely on my phone, but I agree with you that it's not the safest filesystem after my research.

So, my question, Why cant you do the same EXT4 Conversion for several other folders that are important to IO "Read" and "Writes"

Is there some stability or issues with doing this?

By the way,
If you could fix the sound issues on my phone, I'd have 50 dollars for you the same day.
;)

Take care and Great Work!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Kernel driver source is also released now!
    for Kernel and App developers: https://github.com/project-voodoo/sound_kernel_patches
    Full Kernels repositories: https://github.com/project-voodoo

Models supported in sources: GT-I9000, Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G, Fascinate, M110S, Galaxy Tab and Nexus S!

GT-I9003 board and audio hardware are entirely different and not supported.

28/03/2011 : 5.5.3 release: includes Voodoo sound v7 :definite fix for the DAC direct call issue with much better audio path management, lagfix code updated.
    21/03/2011 : 5.5.1 release: includes Voodoo sound v6 (fixes reported by some users muted earpiece during calls with DAC direct option enabled: proved inefficient)
    17/03/2011 : 5.5 release: includes Voodoo sound v5 and a new kind of 16GB Galaxy S.
    02/03/2011 : 5.4.2 maintenance release added support to Samsung Froyo 2.2, Ext4 conversion for some new Spanish 8GB phones.
    31/01/2011 : 5.4.1 release: added missing cifs.ko
    31/01/2011 : 5.4 release: includes Voodoo sound driver version 4!
    27/01/2011 : 5.3 release

FROYO kernels:
    Flash with ClockWorkMod recovery or SGS Kernel Flasher App (available in Market - needs root)
    Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-unsigned-update.zip

Flash with Odin or Heimdall.
    Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-odin-pda.tar

Note: This Kernel is the reference implementation for Galaxy S GT-I9000 (will work also on GT-I9000M GT-I9000T). Other Galaxy S variants will have issues or won't boot.
    It also contains the usual stable Voodoo lagfix, and ClockWorkMod as default recovery.
    If you don't know how to flash kernels, I recommend the community written guide, updated by Eitam Doodai

Don't forget to support my development effort so I can continue working hard on it :)

You can also take a look at an additional list of potential features

Other kernels implementing Voodoo sound:

You'll find plenty of other kernels implementing Voodoo sound for your device in this forum ;)

"Voodoo Control" in market screenshots:

A few countries miss Market, so I put also a download link. Downloading through market is still strongly recommended if you can:
    http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/

VoodooControlApp-0.3.png
    VoodooControlApp-0.3-headphone-amp.png
    VoodooControlApp-0.3-recording-options.png

FAQ:

How to get the best sound quality ?

The best quality for headphone is obtained:
    1/ by setting the Android digital sound level to the maximum or close to it
    2/ then using the new analog level to choose the sound pressure that suits your needs
    This way, you will get the lowest hiss, best signal-to-noise ratio and lowest distortion.

Original post:

Galaxy S line phone have a few sound issues and as a sound junkie I'm working on improving things with Voodoo sound

Here is what I'm implementing for the first Voodoo sound release:

Headphone amp analog gain:
    Reduce the hiss or give you a much louder output. Configurable from very low levels to very high.
    Already tested with sensitive in-ear very prone to hiss and brilliantly confirmed with Sennheiser high-end 300 Ohms headphones.

Hardware Parametric equalizer:
    Change the frequency response to correct your headphone deficiencies or to adjust the sound how you like. Use 0 battery and work on every sound source. 100% configurable

Hardware 3D effect:
    Finally, a good specialization effect. Can improve sound-stage if used wisely. Configurable.

Here is the link to Voodoo sound source repository if you are curious about it.
    Those are new features, exciting capabilities your phone didn't had before :D
    Galaxy S phone is at the top of the line about sound capabilities because it uses a high end Wolfson WM8994 sound codec.
    That's why it's worth it.

I receive already a lot of a few feature asking to fix things, and it's not what i intended to do.

If you have a feature request or suggestion please
    • explain it in this topic
    • tell how much you can support the dev effort.

I can be crazy features request. Who knows, sometimes crazy stuff can be done ;)
    Then I'll do my best to work on it and you'll vote with donations if you are satisfied with it.
    Your turn!
    I digress... but hey supercurio are you developing/ planning to develop an app similar to voodoo sound for the Galaxy Nexus? Publish it and I will be the first to grab it from market. :)

Yes Galaxy Nexus will receive Voodoo Sound improvements!
    I started the research phase but didn't actually developed it yet.

Features planned:
    - Analog headphone amp
    - Mono switch
    - DAC high performance mode (instead of default: low power)
    - Speaker tuning: a bit more bass.

As usual: no ETA so please don't count too much on it as long as it's not actually released ;)
    Hi dear sound lovers.

The compilation of your feature request was so promising for me that I suddenly couldn't resist to write some Voodoo sound code :)
    So there are already 2 commits related to Voodoo sound:

Headphone amp gain :
    http://github.com/project-voodoo/linux_gt-i9000/commit/62e580cd4de97ec0039bf22a297d415f0f986a95
    First usage of the parametric EQ: an anti-alias filter for bright headphones
    http://github.com/project-voodoo/linux_gt-i9000/commit/df44533e336c5fde76a0912ad1c68d5f08f38e08

The second one may become obsolete once I'll get total knowledge of the WM8994 sound codec, sound driver and Android sound system internals.
    And, you guessed, i very much plan to do that!

Now about the Bounty

1/ Mic sensitivity

This is the big winner of this bounty contest ;)
    Both in term of requests and amount. Logically, I'll work on this one first.
    Expect it to be included in first or second Voodoo sound release.

Of course this enhancement will need to be done very carefully. I'll take the highest care not disturbing voice calls, voice memos, Shazam/Shoudhound song recognition.
    Because I already studied the subject, I can tell you that people who know code may find the patch very short.
    Most of the work will consist to elaborate ideal settings for every possible situation.

From filming insect's buzz :
    RTEmagicC_Mouche-Macro-Condylostylus_Opo-Terser-CC-by.jpg.jpg

To capturing music video during the latest Deftones live show
    5.jpg

If default are not good enough, I'll implement more complex code but will propose a usable interface to control it.
    ETA 2 weeks
    asked by: crossbone85, BronzedDroid, crossbone85, BronzedDroid, mike.sw, webcrtor, darkflyer1983, efegue, nsgtr34, rafalense, Anduru, Cazador-, GwynBleidd

2/ True line-out

18rca12foot.jpg

I don't have yet the confirmation it can be done yet, but as it's a requested feature I'll study it and you know that if it can be done... it will !
    If the hardware don't allow a direct line out from the DAC bypassing the headphone amplifier, I will improve the sound quality of the output anyway.

The very first release will already allow you to set the output gain to the standard level you expect from a Line-Out. This will resolve most headaches currently caused by the fact that the default output is very quiet.
    asked by: morfic, eeyunopper, NeronLux

3/ Headphone amplifier gain

hd650.jpg
    UltimateEars_Marshall_WhiteSM.jpg

Yes, some headphones needs special capabilities because
    - Their impedance is high, sound is too quiet
    - Their sensitivity is very high, and you hear too much hiss.

Sensitive in-ear tend to become the norm and because of their isolating nature you hear even more this annoying hiss.

Headphone amplifier gain is the adequate answer to these 2 problems, and if it appear very simple, device in our digital era are extremely rare!
    Now Galaxy S will be part of this ultra-elite club.

You planned to buy an expensive external amp because you thought your beloved headphones sound bad? Think again !
    − however you can think about my donation link :p

4/ 5-band Hardware Parametric EQ

This one will be totally awesome. Too bad a system-wide EQ is not part of Android.
    Will combine
    - sound quality: +-12db adjustment without saturation or distortion
    - with the best power efficiency: use no battery.

5/ Radio Noise
    62_thumb_2.jpg

Will probably be the most difficult to archive, but I already have some ideas about it.
    However, don't expect a "perfect" solution.
    asked by: stranger812, Aj12

6/ iPhone headset support

133445-etymotic%20hf2.jpg

Want to use iPhone IEM+mic on your GT-I9000? You're not alone!
    asked by: many people.

7/ Call through headphones

I don't understand why you cannot do that. Do you?
    Looks obvious but may require some profound changes in several software and hardware layer... or not.
    Not studied yet.
    asked by mcmac7, darkstar2k77. Maybe more people.

8/ General sound quality

2006_150.jpg

Optimizing the sound quality and squeezing the best performance out of the top-notch WM8994 hifi audio codec is the main essence of this project, by a sound lover for sound lovers.

Count on me to make this phone the best Android phone to enjoy music, if not one of the best mobile audio source in all categories.
    Is it ambitious ? Yes but thanks with the Wolfson Micro high end hardware present in this phone you could be surprised ;)
    asked by dsellers2

8/ Bluetooth gain & A2DP streaming issues

330px-Bluetooth_logo.png

Bluetooth stereo is not audiophile's favourite but sometimes it's so much more convenient!
    I'll study and also improve this way of listening to music.
    asked by FloridaK and TheTodFather .

9/ Specialization effect for headphones & Crossfeed

One of the first version will include support of the hardware 3D effect.
    In my opinion, most effect called "3D" something are pure crap. This one is the exception because it's able to improve soundstage and preserve musicality at the same time.

True crossfeed will be trickier to get done, but nothing is impossible. Once again, this is a bout system-wide solution that work on every sound source.
    asked by cbdrift

10/ Other various requests

- Multi-track recording support by thurtig
    - VOIP fixes by magpolson

PS : remember it's a Bounty thread.

Format:
    - Feature requested + description
    - development contribution

Voodoo sound v8 driver sources pushed on the 14 Kernel supported as template!
    Just tell me if I forgot one.

Sample commit with Changelog:

https://github.com/project-voodoo/a...mmit/19f3a63c06b43cc938e6bde8ec9e505bb688337c
    The problem I see is that's how you like it.and not all developer do that way.
    I don't mind to share code, but I don't like to share code that I don't tested and controlled for bugs. What you like is to share bugs to. That's the main different between us.
    You think that real time sharing is a good thing, but I don't like it at all.
    That lower the quality of sharing code and it's a wast of time.
    Also if I want to put others code in my code I want to know what it does.
    That's how you make quality code/program that works and have little bugs in them. The way you think is good is just Alfa/beta code that never will be good.

Standard practice when you develop in the open:

- dev branches, where you publish work in progress as often as you want
    - stable branches, where you publish what correspond to stable releases, distributed for other people who can reuse your code safely.

Benefit with dev branches is that you get comments and suggestions, even sometimes bug reports from developers following your work, well if the work in question is worth it of course. But there are a lot of people in forums, including silent people who only send mails after reading code.

In stable branches, you publish tested validated code for releases.
    Publishing work with SCM with git and an open development model help improving quality and security of stable releases, ask Linus!