Change Carrier Name in AOSP roms
How to create a custom eri.xml files to change the carrier name in AOSP roms.
Instructions lower are for making your own.
1. Android Device (doesn't have to necessarily be a phone)
3. Working adb connection to phone
5. HxD or another hex editor
1. Connect your phone and mount your it with adb.
2. use adb to pull the framework-res.apk file from the phone
3. open the framework-res.apk file with 7zip
4. go into the res/xml folder
5. pull eri.xml from the zip file and open with HxD or your favorite hex editor
6. scroll down until you find the provider name (usually sprint)
7. Change the name to whatever you want. WARNING! Depending on your phone you can have as little as 9 characters available all the way to 16. It depends on the phone. I have found that the Hero CDMA only has 9.
8. Save eri.xml, and copy it back into the zip file via drag and drop into 7zip.
9. Using adb, push the file back onto the phone. You may have to reset it to get it to show up.
O.S.: AOSP 2.3.4
Device:HTC Hero CDMA
O.S.: 2.3.5 (Stock)
Device: Motorola Droid X!