[DEV][S-OFF] Custom MTD Partitions (resize data, system, and cache)
Good news for those who have disabled security on their HTC Desire.
Having tried Firerat's Custom MTD patch on my HTC Desire and almost bricking it twice, I decided to break it apart and examine things in more detail.
As it currently stands v1.5.3 of his patch will
corrupt your mtd0 partition if applied to your desire, so do not try it!
I read through lbcoder's custom partitions layout
thread, then broke apart Firerat's patch
to determine what it was doing, and what was going wrong on the HTC Desire.
The result, I have modified Firerat's Custom MTD script so it works on the HTC Desire and have successfully modified the partitions on my phone so system is 125MB, cache is 5MB, and data is 317MB.
Now after moving all my apps & dalvik-cache from SD-EXT back to DATA I still have 130MB free! w00t!
I will be providing minimal support for this, I am purely providing this to allow others to modify their partition table just as I have done. Ensure you read Firerat's original thread
for further information and/or troubleshooting, it's 99% his patch/work, I just made a small change to stop mtd0 from being overwritten.
These are the steps I performed on my phone and are based on ClockworkMod Recovery v126.96.36.199.
If none of this makes sense to you then this is not for you:
- Disable security on your phone. (S-OFF in FASTBOOT)
- Place bravo-recovery-v1.5.3-CustomMTD.zip & bravo-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD.zip on SD card
- Reboot into recovery
- Take a Nandroid backup
- Create mtdpartmap.txt on SD card with size of system & cache, the example provided sets system to 125MB and cache to 5MB, this will depend on your ROM: echo "mtd 125 5" > /sdcard/mtdpartmap.txt
- Format system, data, and cache (found under mounts and storage)
- Flash bravo-recovery-v1.5.3-CustomMTD.zip, this patches recovery to use the new partition sizes
- Reboot into recovery
- Format system, data, and cache again for good measure (found under mounts and storage)
- Flash ROM, or restore Nandroid backup, it will be flashed to NAND based on new partition sizes
- Prior to rebooting, flash bravo-boot-v1.5.3-CustomMTD.zip, this patches ROM kernel to load with same partition sizes.
Do not attempt to flash radio via recovery/ZIP, only do it via fastboot.
Has only been tested on HTC Desire, may not work on other phones.
Some users have suggested small cache size affects performance in games, if you play games on your phone it may be worth setting cache to 20-35MB
Removing this is simple.
Boot in to fastboot
Fastboot flash the original unmodified clockwork img
Reboot into recovery
Format system, data, cache
Install ROM/ZIP, gapps etc, reboot
- AlphaRev - for bringing S-OFF to HTC Desire
- Firerat - for the original patch. I will be forwarding you the exact changes/details shortly.
- Lbcoder - for coming up with the idea
- Skraw ( CM forums ) - for getting lbcoder interested
- Koush - for AnyKernel
- Cyanogen & Co - for giving us all such great ROMs to play with
- Amon_RA and Koush - for giving us something to patch
- Techjosh - for fixing the patchers for use with Rogers (EBi1)
- Mblaster - for pointing out my nasty habit of using -r zip flag at the end of command ( breaks compatibility with older zip versions, fixed in AutoPatcher v1.5)
- Kali- for porting CM6 to Desire thanks a bunch
- I don't take any credit for this, other than the time invested to get it working on the Desire.
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
tmpfs 208112 0 208112 0% /dev
tmpfs 208112 0 208112 0% /mnt/asec
/dev/block/mtdblock3 128000 123932 4068 97% /system
/dev/block/mtdblock5 315008 184048 130960 58% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4 5120 776 4344 15% /cache
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 505636 2307 477224 0% /sd-ext
7431564 5413644 2017920 73% /mnt/sdcard
7431564 5413644 2017920 73% /mnt/secure/asec
/dev/block/dm-0 3124 1504 1620 48% /mnt/asec/com.google.android.stardroid-1