Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[APP] Call recorder (ROOT access needed) [Nov 24 update]

OP avs333

12th October 2010, 01:37 PM   |  #1  
avs333's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 287
 
203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2005
I wrote this program because I was unable to find a good app capable of recording the other side of the call properly.

Except for AirVoice, all such apps record the speaker rather than the line, and you barely hear the other side in the recordings.

The guy who wrote AirVoice knew the trick but seemed to be very annoyed by the negative feedback from Android Market, where the users of various devices (with the list of supported ones clearly stated!) tried to install that program. Because it wasn't open source, I had to disassemble it in order to write what I wanted exactly.

So the app uses an esoteric HTC driver, and NEEDS THE ROOT ACCESS just to open the device. If you do "adb shell chmod 666 '/dev/voc*' ", it'll never ask you for root access (but you have to be ROOT to execute that command).

It writes the calls in either WAV (recommended) or MP3 format (not tested much; needs some time to encode the file after the call, but the size is about 4 times smaller), stereo (left ear is your voice, right is that of the other party), to "/sdcard/voix" directory.

The kernel driver itself is kinda buggy. Actually, the auto-answer mode is non-functional for kendon's & ninpo's kernels (others not tested). Do NOT select it in Settings unless you've got such ROM and particularly need to reboot your phone on each incoming call . It'd be nice if somebody try to fix that.

If you select "Ask each time" for any incoming calls, be sure to wait half a mo until the confirmation dialog appears. The "Foreground service" (default) setting is also recommended because Android may otherwise kill it if memory is low.

Any comments are welcome. I'm not sure that I'll ever add something to this program because I'm too lazy for that, but any bugs will reasonably be fixed. The code is open source, PM me if you're a programmer and have any ideas how to improve it.

=======================
NOV 24 UPDATE

Numerous improvements/corrections/bugfixes (I'm not removing the previous version as this one haven't been much tested).

Enjoy!


Attached Files
File Type: apk rVoix.apk - [Click for QR Code] (167.0 KB, 9125 views)
File Type: apk rVoix_11_24_2010.apk - [Click for QR Code] (264.0 KB, 15085 views)
Last edited by avs333; 24th November 2010 at 05:01 PM.
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to avs333 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2010, 12:16 AM   |  #2  
BuzzFuzz's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Split - Croatia
Thanks Meter: 169
 
647 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2010
More
Thanks dude. Great job
13th October 2010, 05:31 PM   |  #3  
Hi-Fi's Avatar
Member
Flag Sham Tseng
Thanks Meter: 0
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs333

I wrote this program because I was unable to find a good app capable of recording the other side of the call properly.

Except for AirVoice, all such apps record the speaker rather than the line, and you barely hear the other side in the recordings.

The guy who wrote AirVoice knew the trick but seemed to be very annoyed by the negative feedback from Android Market, where the users of various devices (with the list of supported ones clearly stated!) tried to install that program. Because it wasn't open source, I had to disassemble it in order to write what I wanted exactly.

So the app uses an esoteric HTC driver, and NEEDS THE ROOT ACCESS just to open the device. If you do "adb shell chmod 666 '/dev/voc*' ", it'll never ask you for root access (but you have to be ROOT to execute that command).

It writes the calls in either WAV (recommended) or MP3 format (not tested much; needs some time to encode the file after the call, but the size is about 4 times smaller), stereo (left ear is your voice, right is that of the other party), to "/sdcard/voix" directory.

The kernel driver itself is kinda buggy. Actually, the auto-answer mode is non-functional for kendon's & ninpo's kernels (others not tested). Do NOT select it in Settings unless you've got such ROM and particularly need to reboot your phone on each incoming call . It'd be nice if somebody try to fix that.

If you select "Ask each time" for any incoming calls, be sure to wait half a mo until the confirmation dialog appears. The "Foreground service" (default) setting is also recommended because Android may otherwise kill it if memory is low.

Any comments are welcome. I'm not sure that I'll ever add something to this program because I'm too lazy for that, but any bugs will reasonably be fixed. The code is open source, PM me if you're a programmer and have any ideas how to improve it.

thanks, good job

but recorded sound a lit low, any chance to make it loud
13th October 2010, 07:51 PM   |  #4  
MacaronyMax's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 626
 
13,593 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Aha Thats Great Now i can prove my prank calls
14th October 2010, 02:39 PM   |  #5  
Hi-Fi's Avatar
Member
Flag Sham Tseng
Thanks Meter: 0
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2008
More
no auto start, please add (i mean after re-boot)
14th October 2010, 06:15 PM   |  #6  
avs333's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 287
 
203 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Fi

but recorded sound a lit low, any chance to make it loud

No problems with sound volume here, but I'll see if I can add some basic volume normalisation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Fi

no auto start, please add (i mean after re-boot)

Added as an option in Settings. Also fixed a triffle UI bug (forgetting to set proper dialog attributes).
Attached Files
File Type: apk rVoix.apk - [Click for QR Code] (167.6 KB, 2155 views)
19th October 2010, 06:23 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag Up in the North
Thanks Meter: 4
 
28 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
Just tried this, works great on my Hero (Vanilla Eclair 4.0). Thank you very much for this one!
21st October 2010, 07:53 AM   |  #8  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
57 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2010
Interesting software. Could you possibly add a new feature: The app saves all calls, but deletes them, if you don't move them to another folder/to your PC.

This because I could record all of my calls, without the risk of making a huge 1Gt folder to fill up my memory. So if the user could choose how many recent calls (2,5,10) the app saves before deleting them I'd be great!
21st October 2010, 03:10 PM   |  #9  
lmerega's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Genova
Thanks Meter: 20
 
252 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2007
Donate to Me
More
What about battery draining?
This great app is also tiny enough not to reduce drastically battery duration?

TIA
21st October 2010, 03:12 PM   |  #10  
JakeWharton's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks Meter: 0
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
I'd love to see this generalized to not require the HTC driver. Do you think that would be possible?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes