Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,760 Members 48,773 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

G2 Processor faster than Nexus One?

Tip us?

carlitozway57
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default G2 Processor faster than Nexus One?

I constantly see references to the G2 beating the Nexus One in benchmark tests but the benchmarks always include GPU performance as part of the score. It was established before the phone came out that the GPU performance would beat just about everything else (save the Galaxy S), however that is somehow conflated with CPU performance.

Yes, the G2 can and probably will be overclocked once root is achieved but for now, apples to apples comparison:

Overall score is higher than Nexus One but CPU score is lower

I don't know that this is all that significant and I'd still take my G2 over a Nexus One, but please stop spreading misinformation by saying how the "Scorpion CPU pwnz the Snapdragon LOLZWTF!!!!1!!"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAP201010130304.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	418589  

msmith1991
Old
Thanks Meter 20
And I'm sure once the G2 get clocked At its native speed then its gonna put your point to rest...G2 still runs faster than my nexus .. I don't care about numbers what I care about is real world performance

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
Touch Pro> Tilt> G1> Wing> Touch Pro2> HD2> Vibrant> MyTouch Slide> G2>myTouch 4g> G2>Sensation 4g> Galaxy S2

Superfrag
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Both are Snapdragon SoC (G2 and N1), and both have Scorpion CPU's.. newer one is on a 45nm die while older is on a 65nm (lesser heat emission, lower consumption of power as a result longer battery life on the G2 thanks to the 45nm die).

CPU architecture wise there is not much difference.. the application processing however has been tweaked to perform better overall(thanks to the 45nm die I believe) and obviously as you can see the GPU, Adreno 205 thrashes the older Adreno 200..

Also the newer SoC supports more video codecs(mainly DivX actually) as well. ((MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, DivX 3.11, Sorenson Spark, VP6) vs (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, VP6).

carlitozway57
Old
(Last edited by carlitozway57; 13th October 2010 at 10:17 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith1991 View Post
And I'm sure once the G2 get clocked At its native speed then its gonna put your point to rest
Quote:
I constantly see references to the G2 beating the Nexus One in benchmark tests
Quote:
Yes, the G2 can and probably will be overclocked once root is achieved but for now, apples to apples comparison
I don't know if I came across as bashing the phone. Maybe it was when I said I still prefer it over a Nexus one?

Regardless, my point wouldn't be "put to rest." For now, the CPU on the Nexus One outperforms the G2 on a benchmark. That is what I was addressing, nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfrag View Post
Both are Snapdragon SoC (G2 and N1), and both have Scorpion CPU's.. newer one is on a 45nm die while older is on a 65nm (lesser heat emission, lower consumption of power as a result longer battery life on the G2 thanks to the 45nm die).

CPU architecture wise there is not much difference.. the application processing however has been tweaked to perform better overall(thanks to the 45nm die I believe) and obviously as you can see the GPU, Adreno 205 thrashes the older Adreno 200..

Also the newer SoC supports more video codecs(mainly DivX actually) as well. ((MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, DivX, DivX 3.11, Sorenson Spark, VP6) vs (MPEG-4, H.264, H.263, VC-1, Sorenson Spark, VP6).
My personal experience matches what you've said exactly. Barely a hiccup running the phone and excellent battery life (relatively speaking at least). Like I said, the only thing I'm addressing is people using benchmarks which include the GPU in the score to say that the G2 processor is faster at 800mhz than the N1 at 1ghz.

schriss
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Is there anything like Adobe Flash benchmark or test page? G2 is supposed to hardware accelerate Flash.
HTC One
Previous: Asus Padfone 2, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Desire Z, HTC Touch Pro2, i-Mate Ultimate 9502, iPhone 3G

scottmog
Old
Thanks Meter 71
G2 is pure sex compared to my last phone, motorola cliq hahah

student.driver
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Is there anything like Adobe Flash benchmark or test page? G2 is supposed to hardware accelerate Flash.
This is particularly interesting, as the phone seems to load and scroll webpages faster than my Nexus One did with Enom's ROM. Well, the G2 is faster in everything, basically. Not by a lot, but enough to be noticeable.

Current Android
myTouch 4G (plum, CM7 nightly, SwiftKey Beta, lots of testing)
T-Mobile Galaxy Tab (stock load)

Previous Android
G2 (in park, deciding if I want to sell it)
Charm (Returned)
Nexus One (Sold)
Black G1 (Sold)

SuperFly03
Old
Thanks Meter 6
What is interesting is the obnoxiously higher IO score in the G2 compared to the N1.

I wonder what is entailed in an IO test on a phone...
HTC Thunderbolt - Destroyed
Motorola Droid 2 (Sold)
HTC Sensation 4G - Returned, POS Radio
T-Mobile G2 (Perma rooted - Sold)
Droid Incredible Everlov Gingerbread (Best ROM to date) - Still have it.
Motorola Droid (Sold)
Samsung Droid Charge - EE4, Rooted, Voodoo Fix (Sold)
Motorola Droid Bionic - Sold
Apple iPhone 4s -Sold
Samsung Galaxy SIII - Carbon ROM -Current

Houston, TX:

reddragon72
Old
Thanks Meter 281
here is some light reading, and chart lookin....

http://androidandme.com/2010/10/news...owervr-sgx540/

But jsut remember that the Galaxy class is still stuck on 2.1 so we are missing some updated drivers and JIT and yes that does make a difference.
Remember people, instructions are there to help you not hinder you and anytime you skip them you are doing the same with your phone as it would be to walk off a cliff with a self packed parachute.... did you do it right by following the instructions or did you just shove it in the bag and jump..... think before you leap!

Current - Sprint LG OG running CM11 official nightlies.
New Current - Nexus 5 stock on Sprint

Superfrag
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Oh I forgot.

Better IO scores I believe is thanks to the fact that HTC decided to to with ext3 partition for its OS, thus having faster read/writes(I'm not sure about this.. I think its thanks to the ext3 partition)

Also yeah, like I said, the CPU architecture is similar, (very similar actually), just the overall application processing is better due to tweaks, and one guy mentioned hardware flash acceleration which I forgot to mention, and obviously the GPU. Basically its a very well refined package of the Snapdragons that were on the N1/Desire.

Next year's 3rd Gen Snapdragons will be dual core Scorpion CPU's, even better tweaking and optimization, and HUGE gpu improvement.
Qualcomm says that Adreno 220 is 4-5 times faster than Adreno 205.