Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 51,098 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][ROOT][19/Nov] r14: VISIONary + one click root

Tip us?

paulobrien
Old
(Last edited by paulobrien; 12th September 2011 at 09:38 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5681
Default [GUIDE][ROOT][19/Nov] r14: VISIONary + one click root

Note: This application is no longer being updated and is only recommended for use on Froyo builds.

What is VISIONary?

VISIONary (so named because it was originally an application designed for the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision) is an application you install on your device that allows you to Temproot or optionally Permroot your device, using the 'rageagainstthecage' exploit.

How do I use it?

It's pretty simple really. The options appear as follows:
  • Temproot on boot - use this to automatically Temproot on each boot (I suggest Temprooting manually first to confirm all is well before enabling this)
  • Run visionary.sh after root - this allows you to run a script (as root) after rooting. The script file is /data/local/visionary.sh
  • Set system r/w after root - this allows you to leave the /system partition read/write after root
  • Temproot now - root temporarily (the root wil be lost after reboot)
  • Attempt permroot now - attempt to apply a permanent root (please read the safety information below before doing this!)
  • Unroot now - this will unroot your device
Safety information!

You use VISIONary at your own risk! Although we test it as much as possible, we are unable to guarantee that weird things won't happen.

As a rule, the 'Temproot' option of VISIONary should be completely safe. It installs an application (Superuser) in the conventional way and then sets up a 'ramdisk' for the other parts, which is wiped on boot. As such, no changes are made to the system partition of your device, hence it is considered a 'safe options'.

Permroot on the other hand is inherently more risky. Permroot does make changes to the /system partition of your device. Technically speaking the only change that is made is the installation of a small file to /system/xbin, but any system partition change comes with risks. If you try to permroot, be aware that you might get into a situation where your device will not boot. For this reason, we recommend you have a 'safety net'.

In general, the best 'safety net' for going ahead and doing a Permroot is ensuring that you have a copy of the stock ROM to reinstall should things go wrong. This should be an original update EXE or zip from your device manufacturer / provider which matches the software version currently installed on your device. Bear in mind that flashing older versions is often not possible, so if your device has been updated over-the-air, an update may not yet be available in this form. Hence, you may not be able to find a 'safety net' and attempting to Permroot would be inherently risky. For HTC devices at least, one option would be to Temproot, edit the MISC partition to revert the 'mainver' to an older version, thereby allowing you to flash an update older than the currently installed version should things go wrong. That option is currently outside the scope of this post, although I will provide details on how to accomplish this in another post.

Got your safety net? Aware of the risks? The download is below.

Download
  • r14 - (see changelog below for details) - DOWNLOAD
The download is in APK format (if it is downloaded with a 'zip' extension simply rename). Copy to your device and click to install (or run 'adb install -r com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk' if you have the SDK installed).

NOTE: USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED FOR VISIONARY TO WORK!

And finally

Details on how to donate should you wish to do so are in download topic at MoDaCo.

Enjoy!

P
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien

Follow MoDaCo Android on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to paulobrien For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thatruth132
Old
Thanks Meter 55
thanks for you guys work
from the htc 8125 to samsung galaxy note 2 ....I think I know what im doing.........

f231f
Old
Thanks Meter 24
works perfectly! thanks

add3421
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Awsome. I clicked it now it seems to be using heavy data and syncing with google? maybe thats something entirely different.

Nexus 4

Galaxy Nexus

HTC Doubleshot A.K.A. T-Mobile TouchMe

T-Mobile G2

Samsung Vibrant - POS

Nexus One

HTC Dream G1

T-Mobile Wing

T-Mobile Dash

v8pwrdz28
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Does nothing for me, just sits there saying rooting device, flashes every few seconds

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
T-mobile HTC G1/CM 5.0.8/Sold
T-mobile HTC Nexus One/Stock 2.3.4/Sold
T-mobile HTC G2/Virtuous Unity Sense 3.0 1.24.0/Overclocked 1210mhz
T-mobile HTC Sensation 4G/S-OFF & Rooted/Android Revolution HD™ 6.2.1
HP Touchpad/32gb/Cyanogen 9 Alpha

PlankLongBeard
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Default Question Answered..

Thank you P, my reboot question has been answered... just click and proceed. (To Be Tested)

It feels so good to see you on the scene.. It's been a while.. Since the N1

last4ever
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pwrdz28 View Post
Does nothing for me, just sits there saying rooting device, flashes every few seconds

Same here

paulobrien
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5681
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8pwrdz28 View Post

Reboot and try again...

P
Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien

Follow MoDaCo Android on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

last4ever
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulobrien View Post
Reboot and try again...

P
How long should the program run?

add3421
Old
Thanks Meter 34
Works fine for me. Once rooted the app closes, no confirmation. I know it has root because wireless tether now works (latest beta).

Now all we need is one click temp root/cyanogen mod 6. LOL

Nexus 4

Galaxy Nexus

HTC Doubleshot A.K.A. T-Mobile TouchMe

T-Mobile G2

Samsung Vibrant - POS

Nexus One

HTC Dream G1

T-Mobile Wing

T-Mobile Dash