Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,011 Members 38,986 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

What is Remote Sim Mode?

Tip us?

mikewong27
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question What is Remote Sim Mode?

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knows what "Remote Sim Mode" is on Captivate? I recently upgraded to Froyo from android 2.1. I noticed that whenever I turn on my "bluetooth" on my Captivate, the bluetooth icon will show up. If I push the "bluetooth" button again, a message will show up saying that "Remote Sim Mode Activated". I never seen this message on android 2.1.

cappysw10
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Remote Sim Mode

Hope that helps!
Learning how to use search is priceless...Reading is fundamental!

<<- "B.S. I'll bet you can suck a golf ball through a garden hose!"

Phones -
Samsung Craptivate
Droid 3

n19htmare
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappysw10 View Post
Remote Sim Mode

Hope that helps!
i Googled "android remote sim mode" and it brought me to this thread.

Thanks for your contribution.
Nexus 5 (Current Device)
Galaxy s4
Galaxy Note 2
HTC ONE X
Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Samsung Galaxy S II
Samsung Galaxy S Captivate

Dave the Knave
Old
Thanks Meter 348

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by n19htmare View Post
i Googled "android remote sim mode" and it brought me to this thread.

Thanks for your contribution.
But if you had done it 7 days, before this thread existed, it would not have brought you to this thread.

Google is the internet users best friend. A couple key strokes and some good know-how and you can find anything you want.
Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-i747
Task650 AOKP Build 7/20/2013b
JB 4.2.2
Primary Phone

Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 Build #1012
AOKP Milestone 6
ICS 4.0.4
Backup Phone

Reading XDA makes me want to slam my head against a wall after just 5 minutes.

DJNgoma
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SEARCHING FOR REMOTE SIM MODE, THERE WASN'T A CLEAR SEARCH TERM BUT BROKE IT DOWN INTO SMALLER TERMS IN GOOGLE BEING "REMOTE SIM BLUETOOTH".

RESULT:

Quote:
SIM Access Profile (SAP, SIM, rSAP)
This allows devices such as car phones with built in GSM transceivers to connect to a SIM card in a phone with Bluetooth, thus the car phone itself doesn't require a separate SIM card. This profile is also known as rSAP (remote-SIM-Access-Profile).
SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetoo...SIM.2C_rSAP.29

HOPEFULLY IT HELPS EVERYBODY

*INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY
The Following User Says Thank You to DJNgoma For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

boe_dye
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappysw10 View Post
Remote Sim Mode

Hope that helps!
Saying "Google is your friend" is a failed attempt at saying "I Don't Know".

So please instead of acting like some prissy tech know it all, why not actually contribute something useful to the conversation instead of getting your jollies off by being a smart ass?

I mean not all of us are some lonely geek sitting in their parents basement getting off on some image board, spouting off memes like they are gospel...

It's people like you that make tech forums like this unbearable when it comes to the sharing of knowledge and information. At the very least if you were so wise and sage, you could have posted a link supplying the answer.

But no, you couldn't even take the time out of your busy trolling to even do that. You have to be all cute and cool and go "Google is your friend".

Yes, Google is our friend, it brought us to this place and met idiots such as yourself. Google is an infinitely better friend than you could ever hope to be.

Brynn85
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe_dye View Post
Saying "Google is your friend" is a failed attempt at saying "I Don't Know".

So please instead of acting like some prissy tech know it all, why not actually contribute something useful to the conversation instead of getting your jollies off by being a smart ass?

I mean not all of us are some lonely geek sitting in their parents basement getting off on some image board, spouting off memes like they are gospel...

It's people like you that make tech forums like this unbearable when it comes to the sharing of knowledge and information. At the very least if you were so wise and sage, you could have posted a link supplying the answer.

But no, you couldn't even take the time out of your busy trolling to even do that. You have to be all cute and cool and go "Google is your friend".

Yes, Google is our friend, it brought us to this place and met idiots such as yourself. Google is an infinitely better friend than you could ever hope to be.
Ouch, haha. A bit harsh maybe, but well said. :P

I also had less-than-stellar luck when googling "remote sim mode" when my phone decided to put itself there. Soooo don't hate on us just cause we come here hoping for a little bit more clearly stated answers. :-/

boe_dye
Old
Thanks Meter 0

It just really irks me because these forums exist for a reason. Yes, I will agree that most people don't take the time to look through the forums. But on the other hand, looking through hundreds of posts can be a bit daunting at times too especially if your a noob which can get discouraging.

It's a forum, not IRC. Instead of cluttering it up with nonsense and bickering... just give the answer or shut up...

Now... with that being said, this is what I have discovered: The Bluetooth remote sim mode has something to do with connecting to your cars Bluetooth receiver so that you can make phone calls from your car to your phone.

Why it automatically comes on after you turn off the Bluetooth radio via the drop down menu is beyond me.

So you open up the drop down menu and you push the module and it comes up with "Deactivate Remote SIM mode?" dialogue box.

Click Yes it ideally turns it off. Click No it cancels out of the dialogue box. Clicking yes however... doesn't seem to do anything anyways which is the problem we all seem to be running into.

So what do we do? Well we can reset our phones. Cognition v2.2Beta8 has a nice little reset option when you long hold down the lock button on the side.

Of course this gets kinda annoying every single time.

All is not lost though. What you can do is this: Go into Settings>Wireless and Network>Bluetooth settings and turn on/off Bluetooth from there.

If Bluetooth is off, you can just turn it on from the drop down menu. However if it is on and you want it off, I would suggest turning it off from the settings menu.

When you uncheck the green checkmark that says "Bluetooth", three things are going to happen. One, your going to turn off the Bluetooth Radio. Two, in the status bar there is going to be a message saying "Remote Sim Mode Activated". Three, and this is what we are trying to accomplish, a small dialogue box is going to pop up on the bottom saying "Remote Sim Mode Deactivated". This is essentially what we want to happen.

I don't know why it works this way. However I have noticed that there are a few quirks in the drop down menu from time to time. Perhaps this is just one of the more prevalent ones.

I hope this helped a bit. I'm not a developer or a programmer, just a modder who likes tweaking and likes to learn from the devs who take a lot of time and effort in to making our devices work better. I also hope that you don't mistake the inconsiderate, idiotic reply of "cappysw10" as the general attitude of people who post on this forum.

Most of the people here are pretty cool and are more than willing to help out :)

Good Luck and happy modding :)

klloyd
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I agree, these forums are getting hard to ask and get answers in withlut smart butt comments and flaming. Even when posted in the right place! Its getting out of control. : ( I dont post often, but read ALL the time. Some of us need REAL help. I actualy did Google this very remote sim trouble, found NO good help. Went back to stock. Waiting a real fix.

acrazzyhobo
Old
(Last edited by acrazzyhobo; 26th October 2010 at 01:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Little harsh but necessary I guess