Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[APP] 27-OCT-2010 Circular battery Indicator with % (No root required)

OP irkan

15th October 2010, 07:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Muscat
Thanks Meter: 57

740 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hi

*For the latest update, check the bottom of the post, ENJOY*

Desire
yesterday i wanted to get a battery status bar for my desire just like the picture below

found a thread here that explain how to get it

Super Circle Battery with % |Version A-I & Z (Custom)| Desire 2.2 ROM

Problem
However i found out that i am un-able to use it because the requirments for installing (what i have been told in the thread) is that your device has to be

1. Rooted
2. Have different ROM than the stock ROM

personally i find it very inconvenient to root & flash a new ROM just to get this battery circular percentage (thats all i want, I am pretty satisfied with the stock FROYO 2.2)

Solution
I have modified an APK, used an existing programming logic (Battery Indicator - Open Source Project) but with different presentation.

the APK can be installed to your Desire (and probably other android phones without any problems) and it will show you what you want in the notification bar, just like in the screenshot below

Advantages
- You will not need to root your device (this APP will not change any system files in the framework-res.apk)
- You will not need to install different ROM
- Small size APK, you can just download, install and enjoy

Disclaimer
I have tested this APP on my Desire with stock FROYO 2.2 without any problems I have not tested it on any other device.
The App does not alter any system files, worst case scenario you will get FC. but just to be on the safe side, install on your own risk

wold appreciate any feedbacks

Credits
- Battery Indicator from Darshan Computing (Freeware & Open Source)
- Graphics provided by Fightspit (Thank you!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To answer some of the questions
- the Circular Battery Indicator does not use a lot of battery resources, the device broadcasts a message when the battery status changes, the app catches this broadcast and update itself to show the right percentage, it is as simple as that, so it is extremely light weight on the CPU.

-It is impossible to remove/hide the original battery icon on the status bar without root privileges, and if you have root you dont need this app, chances are you already found away to alter the original/stock battery icon to match your desire (check first post for the link on how to change stock battery icon if you have root).

-I am considering uploading this to the market, to reach a bigger market and making the updating process easier, dont have lots of time to do this now, but i am surly considering it

-for all the people who are interested in the control switch more than the app itself Lol ... its called "SwitchPro" widget

Enjoy
Irkan

UPDATE 27-OCT-2010
A version for the Desire's twin brother, Nexus One (and all other phones that has white status bar) check the attachments for downloads

UPDATE 17-OCT-2010
Fixed some small FC issue reported by a friend

UPDATE 16-OCT-2010
Alright a new version, with gradient color fill, less complicated code, and new icon

if you liked the app, hit the "Thanks" button
Last edited by irkan; 5th July 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: New version uploaded 27-oct-2010
The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to irkan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th October 2010, 09:07 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 131

1,693 posts
More
Great stuff irkan, where is the download link though?
15th October 2010, 09:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Muscat

740 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiseer999

Great stuff irkan, where is the download link though?

darn it, was sleepy forgot to attach, Lol .. thanx for the heads up
15th October 2010, 09:56 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 72

487 posts
More
I like this idea for non-rooted users. Nice work!
Anyone have any ideas for hiding the original one? (without needing root preferably since obviously with root you could install this as a morph/flash).
16th October 2010, 10:01 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Muscat

740 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik101

I like this idea for non-rooted users. Nice work!
Anyone have any ideas for hiding the original one? (without needing root preferably since obviously with root you could install this as a morph/flash).

that could be tricky, since altering any default component in the bar requires system privilege (i.e. root)
16th October 2010, 10:07 AM   |  #6  
XDA Portal Team / Senior Moderator
Flag T r a v e l i n g Likes: HTC & XDA Dislikes: apples...
Thanks Meter: 3,045

22,289 posts
Donate to Me
Thanks for sharing!
16th October 2010, 05:24 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 21

235 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkan

that could be tricky, since altering any default component in the bar requires system privilege (i.e. root)

How can I hide the origional one and move the circle in its place i do have root but do not know how to hide the origional and move the circle one. Im using DX
16th October 2010, 05:57 PM   |  #8  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 48

180 posts
App not as advertised, its Battery Indicator http://www.appbrain.com/app/battery-...tteryIndicator
16th October 2010, 10:17 PM   |  #9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Muscat

740 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orb3000

Thanks for sharing!

thanx for passing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob296

How can I hide the origional one and move the circle in its place i do have root but do not know how to hide the origional and move the circle one. Im using DX

check http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=724778

Quote:
Originally Posted by euqiddis

App not as advertised, its Battery Indicator http://www.appbrain.com/app/battery-...tteryIndicator

read the whole post I used Battery Indicator (Open Source Project) as a base and gave the owner credits (Darshan Computing)
Last edited by irkan; 16th October 2010 at 10:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to irkan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th October 2010, 01:26 AM   |  #10  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 48

180 posts
My bad, the first link that i downloaded was definately Battry indicator, but i've just tried it now and got it working on my Wildfire. Thanks again.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
battery, circular, percentage, stock, without root
Previous Thread Next Thread