Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,541 Members 52,227 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[WARNING!] Do Not flash Any ROM until you can get the 3 buttons DOWNLOAD MODE working

Tip us?

AllGamer
Old
(Last edited by AllGamer; 1st November 2010 at 04:32 PM.)
Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1,578

DONATE TO ME
Arrow [WARNING!] Do Not flash Any ROM until you can get the 3 buttons DOWNLOAD MODE working

[WARNING!] Do Not flash Any ROM (firmware) until you can get the 3 buttons DOWNLOAD MODE working, there is a FIX for that.

Visit the SGS Wiki for details on how to get into the Download Mode
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...#Recovery_Mode

You'll be saving yourself a lot of tears by installing the 3 button SPL fix before you flash the new Froyo or any other ROM you want to try out on your phone.

Follow the instructions on this topic to get your 3 buttons working again
ODIN method http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785201

If ODIN gives you butterflies in the belly, you can try the alternative "SAFE" method via
update.zip http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821698

Enjoy! ...& Happy Flashing

Note: if you are already bricked and you did not apply the Fix before hand, then your only alternative is to send the phone out for repair, or you can make your own JIG cable to unbrick you phone via ODIN following this guide:
[HOWTO] [REF] Make your own homed made JIG cable for phones without 3-button combo

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AllGamer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xavieda
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hi there,

The Odin method posted originally by Richtofen seems to be MIA on this forum. I wanted to try that method as in the thread another user with the same phone as me confirmed it had worked for him. Now, however the link is invalid and this only happened in the last few days (???)

Does this mean the more recent, Hiemdall method is now the preferred way of doing the 3BR fix?

Cheers,

Xav.

xavieda
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Bump? Does a link to Richtofen's method still exist?

jutezak
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I didn't have the 3 button modes on my phone. After updating to Gingerbread via Kies (which overwrites the bootloaders) the 3 button modes worked.

So... if it is the first time you are upgrading, just try to go to Gingerbread through Kies - though I do not know if all regions get the recovery and download modes.
The Following User Says Thank You to jutezak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xavieda
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutezak View Post
I didn't have the 3 button modes on my phone. After updating to Gingerbread via Kies (which overwrites the bootloaders) the 3 button modes worked.

So... if it is the first time you are upgrading, just try to go to Gingerbread through Kies - though I do not know if all regions get the recovery and download modes.
Yeah, I'm here in Australia and there's been no update to Gingerbread via Kies - just checked again recently after an update to Kies - still reports that the 2.2 firmware I have is the "latest"

However, from other posts and messages here, it seems if I'm willing to risk a jump straight to a Gingerbread ROM, then the 3BR is also fixed as part of the process. Need to do some more reading I guess.

Cheers,

Xav.