Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[WARNING!] Do Not flash Any ROM until you can get the 3 buttons DOWNLOAD MODE working

OP AllGamer

16th October 2010, 10:02 PM   |  #1  
OP Retired Forum Moderator
Flag buried under loads of work IRL
Thanks Meter: 1,580

11,521 posts
Donate to Me
More
[WARNING!] Do Not flash Any ROM (firmware) until you can get the 3 buttons DOWNLOAD MODE working, there is a FIX for that.

Visit the SGS Wiki for details on how to get into the Download Mode
http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki...#Recovery_Mode

You'll be saving yourself a lot of tears by installing the 3 button SPL fix before you flash the new Froyo or any other ROM you want to try out on your phone.

Follow the instructions on this topic to get your 3 buttons working again
ODIN method http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=785201

If ODIN gives you butterflies in the belly, you can try the alternative "SAFE" method via
update.zip http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=821698

Enjoy! ...& Happy Flashing

Note: if you are already bricked and you did not apply the Fix before hand, then your only alternative is to send the phone out for repair, or you can make your own JIG cable to unbrick you phone via ODIN following this guide:
[HOWTO] [REF] Make your own homed made JIG cable for phones without 3-button combo
Last edited by AllGamer; 1st November 2010 at 05:32 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AllGamer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th June 2011, 12:53 PM   |  #2  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
More
Hi there,

The Odin method posted originally by Richtofen seems to be MIA on this forum. I wanted to try that method as in the thread another user with the same phone as me confirmed it had worked for him. Now, however the link is invalid and this only happened in the last few days (???)

Does this mean the more recent, Hiemdall method is now the preferred way of doing the 3BR fix?

Cheers,

Xav.
13th July 2011, 03:33 PM   |  #3  
Flag Sydney

10 posts
More
Bump? Does a link to Richtofen's method still exist?
14th July 2011, 08:34 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 31

195 posts
I didn't have the 3 button modes on my phone. After updating to Gingerbread via Kies (which overwrites the bootloaders) the 3 button modes worked.

So... if it is the first time you are upgrading, just try to go to Gingerbread through Kies - though I do not know if all regions get the recovery and download modes.
The Following User Says Thank You to jutezak For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2011, 05:32 AM   |  #5  
Flag Sydney

10 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutezak

I didn't have the 3 button modes on my phone. After updating to Gingerbread via Kies (which overwrites the bootloaders) the 3 button modes worked.

So... if it is the first time you are upgrading, just try to go to Gingerbread through Kies - though I do not know if all regions get the recovery and download modes.

Yeah, I'm here in Australia and there's been no update to Gingerbread via Kies - just checked again recently after an update to Kies - still reports that the 2.2 firmware I have is the "latest"

However, from other posts and messages here, it seems if I'm willing to risk a jump straight to a Gingerbread ROM, then the 3BR is also fixed as part of the process. Need to do some more reading I guess.

Cheers,

Xav.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread