Proximity sensor failure

17th October 2010, 04:53 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

29 posts
More
My DHD has problems with the proximity sensor. I returned the device to the vodafone store (Netherlands), and they changed the device for a new one that worked.

Today, 1 day later, my second DHD is now having the exact same problem with the proximity sensor.

When I make a call, the screen immediately goes black, and the device no longer responds to any button (not even the power button on top). The ony way to get the device back to life is by removing and reinserting the battery.

Video of the problem

When I receive a call, the screen stays unlocked, even when the device is placed against my ear, so I end up with my ear pressing the active screen....

I've read more complaints about this exact problem on the tweakers.net forum. It is still unknown whether this is a hardware of software failure.

UPDATE
The problem seems to be related to the lightsensor, when holding a locked DHD in front of a bright light source, the device wil unlock (as long as you keep it in front of the light).
It might be, that when used in bright daylight a DHD will function properly.

Also, when calling using the headset, the problem does not occur. When inserting a headset in a "locked" DHD, it will wake up.

UPDATE2
Some facts, to "bust" some myths about the problem:
- It seems the problem can happen on all DHD's, not just devices with a particular S/N, software version, carrier (telco) or color.
- It has something to do with the light sensor (which is the same sensor as the proximity sensor) since the device unlocks when held in front of a bright lightsource, some users claim their device works well, as long as they are in daylight.
- The DHD uses a CM3602 proximity/light sensor, the same as a regular Desire
- The problem might not occur immediately after purchase, sometimes it takes a few days before it starts, thus switching your DHD for a new one might only solve your problem for a few hours/days (this is what happend to my second and third... yes third device)
Last edited by LeonM1234; 20th October 2010 at 04:12 PM.
17th October 2010, 04:54 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Tampere
Thanks Meter: 2,525

3,377 posts
Donate to Me
More
Seems like the same kind of problem: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=811282
17th October 2010, 04:57 PM   |  #3  
Flag Laren
Thanks Meter: 1

54 posts
More
Exactly the same post. Nice detail that I'm also a Dutch user bought it at a Vodafone store.
17th October 2010, 05:12 PM   |  #4  
OP Member

29 posts
More
So, that's at least 3 devices reported with this problem.

Is there a way to turn off the proximity sensor? This would mean I have to turn the screen off manually when I make or receive a call, but that way, I don't have to reset the device every time I make a cell
17th October 2010, 05:15 PM   |  #5  
Flag Lisboa
Thanks Meter: 67

434 posts
More
Maybe you guys have found why it failed the google test ?
17th October 2010, 05:16 PM   |  #6  
Flag Tel Aviv
Thanks Meter: 30

550 posts
More
1-2-3 from the first stock - that is an failure that will come back to all of us...
did you try contact HTC ??
17th October 2010, 05:24 PM   |  #7  
Flag Lisboa
Thanks Meter: 67

434 posts
More
I wouldnt be very worried tbh, this is surely software related else they wouldnt release any batch of cellphones and delay the release for more than just a few weeks.
17th October 2010, 05:27 PM   |  #8  
Flag Wuppertal
Thanks Meter: 23

130 posts
More
Can you make a Video and load it up on Youtube?

If we have a video itīs much easier to show HTC the problem... maybe we can load this video up on facebook to the HTC page...
17th October 2010, 05:27 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 1

27 posts
Really bad if this failure concerns all DHDs. But why 3 devices?

I only count LeonM1234 and WizardX?

Edit: Ah I see 2x LeonM1234 and 1x WizardX. Forget this post
Last edited by name_th; 17th October 2010 at 05:33 PM.
17th October 2010, 05:27 PM   |  #10  
OP Member

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by liorra3

1-2-3 from the first stock - that is an failure that will come back to all of us...
did you try contact HTC ??

Will try contacting HTC Netherlands tomorrow, today is Sunday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_th

Really bad if this failure concerns all DHDs. But why 3 devices?

I only count LeonM1234 and WizardX?

This is my second DHD with this problem

P.S. Can any mod please remove the 1 post per 5 minutes limit, it is quite annoying... thanks!
Last edited by LeonM1234; 17th October 2010 at 05:40 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
desire hd, proximity, sensor
Previous Thread Next Thread