Fun times repairing my G1

OP Dr.Gonz0

18th October 2010, 03:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

337 posts
More
Okay, so I had this G1 for about a month now, works fine, rooting was a blast, but I wanted to get rid of the cracked digitizer glass. So the part comes in the mail... I read and followed the take-apart tutorials to the letter, install it, put it back together, and what's this???

The screen is dark with no display, I slide out the keyboard and I get a display but no back-lighting. I wait for the thing to get to the home screen and I am not getting any touch-screen action. Any ideas? It is safe to assume the digitizer may be dead but what's the deal with the darkness?

Prior to installing the screen I had the back-light issues and I thought "maybe one of the flex cables are loose" but now I am dead in the water. Any info anyone would have about this would be helpful

Thanks
19th October 2010, 05:06 PM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gonz0

I thought "maybe one of the flex cables are loose" but now I am dead in the water.

That sounds like the right thought. Clearly, something isn't connected properly.
3rd November 2010, 05:22 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
As i see, there are three variants (from good to bad):
1.) You`ve connected some cable badly, or, for example, you`ve didn`t put down the black blocking panel on some of connectors where it is. As for me, i`ve additionally put some scotch upon any connector i was attaching - it works.

2.) Some cable went bad due to inaccurate handling. When i was doing the same thing (replacing G1 digitizer) - it was stated in manual, tha flex cables, especialy black ones, connecting mainboard with LCD&touch block - can be easily torn. You should examine then carefully - electrical tester would be a nice idea.

3.) You`ve spoiled some chip on the board with static electricity on your fingers. It is really rare - but really bad variant.
3rd November 2010, 05:26 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 32

337 posts
More
Hehe turns out that the flex cable was already fried before working on it, thanks to a great friend I received a new flex cable and was incredibly surgical putting all those cables back in, but I did it. Back up and running @ 100% muahahaha!

So how do I cook for this device?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread