[MOD] BackLightNotification v2.3 (froyo) - led notifications by touchkey backlight

Search This thread

neldar

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
This modification is ONLY for firmwares with Android 2.2 (froyo)!

What is BackLightNotification?
The BackLightNotification mod converts the touchkey backlights into a notification led.

What is modified?
The BackLightNotification mod replaces the kernel by a modified kernel and it also replaces the lights.default.so in /system/lib/hw/.
In detail: This kernel includes my backlight notification patch and additionally built-in ext4 and tun modules. (For lagfix and vpn support.) The lights.s5pc110.so in /system/lib/hw/ enables android led notification via backlights. This mod does not include any modified app. To enable led/backlight notification for an app/function see the Q&A "How do i enable notification for ...?"

What other features are included with?
  • working recovery 2e (for unsigned/testsigned update.zips - also included in the noroot packages)
  • ext4 support
  • tun support (compiled in - no module)

What Galaxy S phones are supported?
The kernel in this thread is only for i9000 and i9000m (Bell Vibrant).
If you are searching for a kernel for your phone have look at this page: Supported phones by BLN (official list)
If your phone is not listed on that page, then you may ask someone who creates custom-kernels for that phone, whether she/he would like to include BLN. The patches are compatible to all already released Galaxy S phones.

Does this mod drain the battery?
No, that issue has already been fixed in the eclair build (in v0.9.8rc3).
Measurements on eclair showed, that an ongoing BLN increases battery consumption by 0,18% per hour. The average battery consumption without BLN is 1,04% per hour, so an ongoing BLN results in an overall battery consumption of 1,22% per hour. And by the way: ongoing NoLed results in an overall battery consumption of more than 9,5% per hour. Please see the Q&A "How much does this modification affect battery life?".

For more questions and answers have a look at the Q&A in the second post.

Instructions for installation/update:

If you have any lagfix installed, remove/disable it before installing this BacklightNotification kernel.

New method for rooted phones: SGS kernel flasher app:
If your phone is already rooted you can try the SGS kernel flasher app.
Just download&install the app and select any .tar or update.zip that you want to flash from this thread.

Old methods for not rooted phones:

Odin/Heimdall-method (recommend):
(includes also recovery 2e)
  1. Download:
    Android 2.2.1 (JPX and newer): i9000_BacklightNotification_v2.3.2_odin.tar (md5: 8b08af1f946c2fb79d3c41aedf483e21)
    Android 2.2 (JPM/JPO/JPP and older): i9000_jpm_jpo_BacklightNotification _v2.3.2_odin.tar (md5: 81e9e80c6a4a501b7d209a35dee0f0d0)
  2. start odin
  3. select the .tar-file for PDA
  4. power off the phone
  5. boot into download mode (by pressing & holding "Vol Down" + "home key" + "power key" together,
    when bootlogo appears, release the keys)
  6. plug in the usb-cable to the phone
  7. press start in odin (DO NOT select re-partition!!!)
  8. wait for reboot
  9. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

If the liblights is not properly installed you also have to apply this by recovery: bln-liblights-v1-install-update.zip

If you want to have more control over BacklightNotification:
BLN control app - blinking, call notification, scheduler and more to come

Update.zip-method (only with recovery 2e or cwm):
(You wont lose root, if rooted with cf-root or bln root .tar, includes also recovery 2e)
  1. Download for
    Android 2.2.1 (JPX and newer): i9000_BacklightNotification_v2.3.1_update.zip (md5: d13ea101a2c9a646350e012626254b99)
    Android 2.2 (JPM/JPO/JPP and older): i9000_jpm_jpo_BacklightNotification_v2.3.1_update.zip (md5: 17941a7ebbe791e0599544be8d481ace)
  2. copy the zip-file to /sdcard/
  3. rename the zip-file to "update.zip"
  4. power off the phone
  5. boot into recovery mode (by pressing "Vol Up" + "home key" + "power key" together,
  6. apply update.zip (Vol Up/Down to select and Home key to apply -
    you will see strange characters and a flickering screen, that is normal)
  7. wait for reboot
  8. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

BackLightNotification with Universal-lagfix:
BacklightNotification v2.2 with Universal-lagfix v0.3
BLN is disabled by default in this build, you need to activate BLN by BacklightNotification settings app OR by cwm recovery.
Please use this build only until sztupy releases a new Universal-lagfix version > 0.3 .

BackLightNotification with Voodoo lagfix(-only):
Download from the project-voodoo.org website.
Support for voodoo lagfix:
xda - Discuss about Project Voodoo / lagfix, color

Removal:
Download for:
JPx and newer: "i9000-remove-bln-froyo -update.zip" (md5: 8463aa118645c5bb94a385d1ba6ff7a7)
JPO/JPM and older: "i9000-jpm-jpo-remove-bln-froyo -update.zip" (md5: 303b8e7f2f3804d3da1f937306460ec0)
(if you have the voodoo package, use the package from project-voodoo)
and continue with step 2. of the instructions above.

Credits:
supercurio (for voodoo lagfix and the kernel-update.zip-template)
chainfire (for the cf-root ramdisk)
sztupy (for universal-lagfix)

Attachments

• i9000_BacklightNotification_v2.3.2_odin.tar
    5.5 MB · Views: 1,758
Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
Questions & Answers:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
  • sms: notification by default
  • touchwiz email: notification by default
  • gmail: notification by default
  • Google talk: notification by default
  • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
  • call: my BLN control - Pro from market
  • any other apps:
    ask the author of the app for notification led support

What lagfixes are supported?

How much does this modification affect battery life?
With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Tested with flight mode enabled.
How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
That is not possible, hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off.

I got the message "Cannot open update.zip (bad)". What does this message mean?
That means the file got corrupted, you should delete the update.zip in /sdcard/ and download the zip-file again, copy it again to /sdcard/ and rename it to "update.zip".

Source:

Chancelog:

BLN v2.3.2:
* fixed: install script not working

v2.3 (stable)
* added: blink sysfs file

v2.2 (stable)
* new sysfs interface (/sys/class/misc/backlightnotification/) - recommend update

v2.0 (stable, based on rc1)

v1.1.4 (release candidate 1)
* minor fix (typo)

v1.1.3 (beta2)
* fixed: backlight notification broken in sleep mode
* fixed: recovery broken
* fixed: pixel noise/snow during boot

v1.1.0 (beta1)
* build with Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1

Last edited:

woeds

Aug 13, 2008
Leiden
Voodoo is listed as compatible in the second post, but in the first one it says 'not yet build'. Which one is it? :)

Meister_Li

Jun 26, 2010
Cork
I just got Voodoo to run, and I don't want to redo everything again, so I'll hold off of this for now. But as soon as a Voodoo version is released, I'll be all over it. Thanks a lot for your great work! :D

goingwrong

Sep 13, 2009
Enschede
just flashed "i9000_BacklightNotification_v1.1.4_RC1_odin _root.tar" on jp6. after the S i get a black screen and the 2 BLN buttons are blinking. ive already tried a reboot.. what shall i do?

/edit: i restored factory settings and now it continue with booting :D

Last edited:

thunderteaser

Jul 22, 2010
I flashed the CF-Root kernel on my JP6 official Froyo (updated through Keis), so I have the 2e version Recovery. I have some questions:

1) If I use the update.zip method which you state to be no-root, will my phone be unrooted again? (I suppose so, but I wanted to ask anyway);

2) Which pit should I use to flash the root version with the Odin/Heimdall method?

3) Should I check Re-partition with Odin method and lose data? (And if not, why do we have to specify a pit?)

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work! :)

Last edited:

neldar

Jul 4, 2010
twitter.com
I flashed the CF-Root kernel on my JP6 official Froyo (updated through Keys), so I have the 2e version Recovery. I have some questions:

1) If I use the update.zip method which you state to be no-root, will my phone be unrooted again? (I suppose so, but I wanted to ask anyway);

2) Which pit should I use to flash the root version with the Odin/Heimdall method?

3) Should I check Re-partition with Odin method and lose data? (And if not, why do we have to specify a pit?)

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work! :)

1.) if you have already cf-rooted (or used bln_root.tar) then the phone will stay rooted by using the update.zip.
may be i should rename it, to avoid confusion. ;)

2.) Well, i dont know what happens if you not select a pit. maybe you want to try it? for jp6 i think 803 is the recommend pit file, only use 512 if you also used it to flash jp6/jpm with odin.

3.)NO, DONT select re-partition!

xan

May 21, 2006
Crack-ow
2.) Well, i dont know what happens if you not select a pit. maybe you want to try it? for jp6 i think 803 is the recommend pit file, only use 512 if you also used it to flash jp6/jpm with odin.

I'm on 803pit(not 100% sure here), flashed with JPK, then flashed JPM w/o repartition. Working flawlessly.
After that flashed BLN kernel, witout pit selected. Works as expected :)

thunderteaser

Jul 22, 2010
1.) if you have already cf-rooted (or used bln_root.tar) then the phone will stay rooted by using the update.zip.
may be i should rename it, to avoid confusion. ;)

Oh, thank you, thank you, neldar! :)
I used the update.zip method: it was very easy and fast and everything went smooth as silk!
I confirm that my phone is still rooted (yippie!) and I'm really really enjoying it!

Since I opted for the update.zip method, I'm also asking someone else to try it. By the way, when I flashed the CF-Root kernel through Odin I didn't have to specify a pit and, obviously, I did not select re-partition. On the other hand, Heimdall does not support repartitioning yet, but requires you to specify a pit file. I'm still confused a bit.

I'm on 803pit(not 100% sure here), flashed with JPK, then flashed JPM w/o repartition. Working flawlessly.
After that flashed BLN kernel, witout pit selected. Works as expected :)

EDIT: Great!

3.)NO, DONT select re-partition!

Okie dokie! If I'll decide to upgrade to the next release through Odin, I won't select it! Though, when you already have a rooted phone and 2e recovery, I think the update.zip method is the easiest/safest/fastest!

Finally, here's my feedback: It really does what I expect it to do, and it does it pretty good! I really don't care about all the fuss on the blinking feature, I prefer a battery-friendly/lite kernel that just works. Moreover, you scored a bull's eye by adding the "Super Optimized" kernel! So far, it's a 10 out of 10!
I'm waiting for you to add Voodoo support, once it's released!

Thank you again and keep up the good work! :)

Last edited:

aatifsumar

Aug 2, 2010
Bricked my phone

Your instructions are very confusing
First, you said this version supports FroYo.
Then you said it supports Voodoo and thanked @supercurio.

So OF COURSE i assume that means his froyo voodo lagfix is supported.
Guess what? Later on its mentioned that its not. Too late for me though, its bricked and no way to recover. Have to reflash JPM, redo Voodoo. All data gone.

aatifsumar

Aug 2, 2010
Correction On Bricking

okay i didnt have to reinstall JPM, i just reflashed voodoo and it came back

lagigia

Feb 4, 2008
Your instructions are very confusing
First, you said this version supports FroYo.
Then you said it supports Voodoo and thanked @supercurio.

So OF COURSE i assume that means his froyo voodo lagfix is supported.
Guess what? Later on its mentioned that its not. Too late for me though, its bricked and no way to recover. Have to reflash JPM, redo Voodoo. All data gone.

Which method do you apply? Odin or update.zip?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This modification is ONLY for firmwares with Android 2.2 (froyo)!

What is BackLightNotification?
    The BackLightNotification mod converts the touchkey backlights into a notification led.

What is modified?
    The BackLightNotification mod replaces the kernel by a modified kernel and it also replaces the lights.default.so in /system/lib/hw/.
    In detail: This kernel includes my backlight notification patch and additionally built-in ext4 and tun modules. (For lagfix and vpn support.) The lights.s5pc110.so in /system/lib/hw/ enables android led notification via backlights. This mod does not include any modified app. To enable led/backlight notification for an app/function see the Q&A "How do i enable notification for ...?"

What other features are included with?
    • working recovery 2e (for unsigned/testsigned update.zips - also included in the noroot packages)
    • ext4 support
    • tun support (compiled in - no module)

What Galaxy S phones are supported?
    The kernel in this thread is only for i9000 and i9000m (Bell Vibrant).
    If you are searching for a kernel for your phone have look at this page: Supported phones by BLN (official list)
    If your phone is not listed on that page, then you may ask someone who creates custom-kernels for that phone, whether she/he would like to include BLN. The patches are compatible to all already released Galaxy S phones.

Does this mod drain the battery?
    No, that issue has already been fixed in the eclair build (in v0.9.8rc3).
    Measurements on eclair showed, that an ongoing BLN increases battery consumption by 0,18% per hour. The average battery consumption without BLN is 1,04% per hour, so an ongoing BLN results in an overall battery consumption of 1,22% per hour. And by the way: ongoing NoLed results in an overall battery consumption of more than 9,5% per hour. Please see the Q&A "How much does this modification affect battery life?".

For more questions and answers have a look at the Q&A in the second post.

Instructions for installation/update:

If you have any lagfix installed, remove/disable it before installing this BacklightNotification kernel.

New method for rooted phones: SGS kernel flasher app:
    If your phone is already rooted you can try the SGS kernel flasher app.
    Just download&install the app and select any .tar or update.zip that you want to flash from this thread.

Old methods for not rooted phones:

Odin/Heimdall-method (recommend):
    (includes also recovery 2e)
    1. Download:
      Android 2.2.1 (JPX and newer): i9000_BacklightNotification_v2.3.2_odin.tar (md5: 8b08af1f946c2fb79d3c41aedf483e21)
      Android 2.2 (JPM/JPO/JPP and older): i9000_jpm_jpo_BacklightNotification _v2.3.2_odin.tar (md5: 81e9e80c6a4a501b7d209a35dee0f0d0)
    2. start odin
    3. select the .tar-file for PDA
    4. power off the phone
    5. boot into download mode (by pressing & holding "Vol Down" + "home key" + "power key" together,
    6. plug in the usb-cable to the phone
    7. press start in odin (DO NOT select re-partition!!!)
    8. wait for reboot
    9. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

If the liblights is not properly installed you also have to apply this by recovery: bln-liblights-v1-install-update.zip

Update.zip-method (only with recovery 2e or cwm):
    (You wont lose root, if rooted with cf-root or bln root .tar, includes also recovery 2e)
    1. Download for
      Android 2.2.1 (JPX and newer): i9000_BacklightNotification_v2.3.1_update.zip (md5: d13ea101a2c9a646350e012626254b99)
      Android 2.2 (JPM/JPO/JPP and older): i9000_jpm_jpo_BacklightNotification_v2.3.1_update.zip (md5: 17941a7ebbe791e0599544be8d481ace)
    2. copy the zip-file to /sdcard/
    3. rename the zip-file to "update.zip"
    4. power off the phone
    5. boot into recovery mode (by pressing "Vol Up" + "home key" + "power key" together,
    6. apply update.zip (Vol Up/Down to select and Home key to apply -
      you will see strange characters and a flickering screen, that is normal)
    7. wait for reboot
    8. see the Q&A "How do i enable backlight notification for ...? and install apps, if needed"

BackLightNotification with Universal-lagfix:
    BacklightNotification v2.2 with Universal-lagfix v0.3
    BLN is disabled by default in this build, you need to activate BLN by BacklightNotification settings app OR by cwm recovery.
    Please use this build only until sztupy releases a new Universal-lagfix version > 0.3 .

BackLightNotification with Voodoo lagfix(-only):
    Download from the project-voodoo.org website.
    Support for voodoo lagfix:
    xda - Discuss about Project Voodoo / lagfix, color

Removal:
    Download for:
    JPx and newer: "i9000-remove-bln-froyo -update.zip" (md5: 8463aa118645c5bb94a385d1ba6ff7a7)
    JPO/JPM and older: "i9000-jpm-jpo-remove-bln-froyo -update.zip" (md5: 303b8e7f2f3804d3da1f937306460ec0)
    (if you have the voodoo package, use the package from project-voodoo)
    and continue with step 2. of the instructions above.

Credits:
    supercurio (for voodoo lagfix and the kernel-update.zip-template)
    chainfire (for the cf-root ramdisk)
    sztupy (for universal-lagfix)
    Please, When a gingerbread Version??? I need it.

I am working on that, of course.

The kernel and the liblights have been finshed over a week ago, but after that it was obvious to me that samsung dont like bln or somebody at samsung is totally incompetent. Because samsung disabled the led notifications in their android build, either intentionally or unintentionally. And their changes are not yet found, that means bln for gingerbread (on i9000) is delayed until me or somebody else will find a solution.
    Samsung did not change anything in the NotificationManagerService, the changes has been introduced in asop. :rolleyes:
    You will find infos about the changes in the thread of the upcoming bln-gb release.

If bln is indispensable for you, then stay with android 2.2.1 -> dont upgrade to gingerbread.

Btw, these "me too"-posts are not really helpful... ;)
    Questions & Answers:

How do i enable led notification for ...?
    • sms: notification by default
    • touchwiz email: notification by default
    • gmail: notification by default
    • Google talk: notification by default
    • calendar: download "Calendar notifier" app from market (alternative)
    • call: my BLN control - Pro from market
    • any other apps:
      ask the author of the app for notification led support

What lagfixes are supported?

How much does this modification affect battery life?
    With backlight notification permanently powered on, the battery lasts around 82 hours (around 3,5 days, 1,22% per hour). This means, that activated backlights will increase battery usage by about 0,18% per hour. If there is no backlight notification ongoing, battery life is normal (around 96 hours, 1,04% per hour). Tested with flight mode enabled.
    How do you test the battery consumption? This is a common and reliable method.

Could you add a fade feature?
    That is not possible, hardware is limited (by controller firmware) to simple on/off.

I got the message "Cannot open update.zip (bad)". What does this message mean?
    That means the file got corrupted, you should delete the update.zip in /sdcard/ and download the zip-file again, copy it again to /sdcard/ and rename it to "update.zip".

Source:

Chancelog:

BLN v2.3.2:
    * fixed: install script not working

v2.3 (stable)
    * added: blink sysfs file

v2.2 (stable)
    * new sysfs interface (/sys/class/misc/backlightnotification/) - recommend update

v2.0 (stable, based on rc1)

v1.1.4 (release candidate 1)
    * minor fix (typo)

v1.1.3 (beta2)
    * fixed: backlight notification broken in sleep mode
    * fixed: recovery broken
    * fixed: pixel noise/snow during boot

v1.1.0 (beta1)
    * build with Sourcery G++ Lite 2010q1
    Hi neldar

Firstly, can I apologise in advance for my noob question but:

I have an SGS running stock 2.2 Froyo (Baseband: I9000NEJP2, BUILD: FROYO.NEJP5)...which of the 2 files below should I download to flash on to my phone for the BLN please?

Download:

Again, sorry for the noob question but I have only just run the 3-button fix, so I'm new to all this :D

Many thanks

You should use the second kernel for android 2.2.
    Hi Neldar,

I have a SGS running stock gingerbread. I am struggling in getting BLN to work with the stock SMS app.

For missed calls, BLN works just great, but I can't get it to work with SMS.. Does it support it?
    I have tried using tasker plugin, but it only works for static light, not blinking. Plus, tasker plugin is just another process, non effective and confusing.

Thank you very much

This is the froyo thread for bln, head over to the gingerbread thread to find your answers.