Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,757 Members 36,763 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]Smooth the edges

Tip us?

jakeneal22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Default [Q]Smooth the edges

Ok so I love android and all of it's openness and mods. I like to modify all electronics that I have. But the only problem I have with it is that it isn't smooth. I have had an iPhone in the past and it was smooth. It just confuses me how 1ghz can lag on a mobile os. I guess this rant is to ask how do I smooth the edges. I've tried many roms and some were better than others. One major thing I want is when I unlock it, when I slide homescreen, and when I open the app drawer to be smooth. Any ideas settings roms?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Jack_R1
Old
Thanks Meter 948
Read through a lot of threads, and understand that there isn't what you're looking for. You might try MIUI, people report it as smooth - never tried it personally. Also, for launcher use LauncherPro, it's smooth.
About the gigahertz stuff: CPU speed doesn't matter as much as SW does. And there is no "smoothness support" yet.
Android isn't smooth. It's powerful, though. Personally, I like the trade off.
Wiki on this forum exists for a reason. PLEASE READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.
Glacier (MyTouch 4G / Panache) Wiki
Nexus One Wiki
Nexus One FAQ.

[Lockscreen MOD] Trackball/trackpad wake-sleep toggle for Sense ROMs - [Nexus One], [MyTouch 4G]
[MOD]NoClock for Sense ROMs
[MOD] Change WiFi hostname

[MOD]Gallery3D with high-res patch, for stock and HTC cameras

ohgood
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeneal22 View Post
Ok so I love android and all of it's openness and mods. I like to modify all electronics that I have. But the only problem I have with it is that it isn't smooth. I have had an iPhone in the past and it was smooth. It just confuses me how 1ghz can lag on a mobile os. I guess this rant is to ask how do I smooth the edges. I've tried many roms and some were better than others. One major thing I want is when I unlock it, when I slide homescreen, and when I open the app drawer to be smooth. Any ideas settings roms?

delete all your apps, turn off all services, and it will run just like the iphone. kill every app after you use it. - that's what the iphone does.
U jealous of ice cream duuude ?

Everybody on here that's mad and complaining got smoked by a Windows Phone.

adambenjamin
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You can tweak the internal task killer to speed up your phone. It takes some work and testing. This thread has the directions and explanations.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666

Geo411m's ROM has these tweaks built in and they work really well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...er#post7008637
Nexus One - Stock Rooted FRG83 Blackbar

Jack_R1
Old
Thanks Meter 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambenjamin View Post
You can tweak the internal task killer to speed up your phone. It takes some work and testing. This thread has the directions and explanations.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=622666

Geo411m's ROM has these tweaks built in and they work really well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...er#post7008637
This has been useless since Froyo. As I once researched and posted, Froyo kills the processes much earlier than Eclair (OOM=12 instead of 16) and considering the amount of memory on Nexus - you never get anywhere below 100MB free unless you run a super-heavy app, and those never stay in background.
Now these tweaks don't do a thing.
Wiki on this forum exists for a reason. PLEASE READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS.
Nexus One Wiki
Nexus One FAQ.

[Lockscreen MOD] Trackball/trackpad wake-sleep toggle for Sense ROMs - [Nexus One], [MyTouch 4G]

jakeneal22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
does power mean smoothness? I just don't get the concept of having a fast processor and not being smooth. I mean it is almost the same speed as my netbook... on a phone. It seems like that should be smooth. Maybe I'm asking for to much. But another thing I have seen videos of people on cyanogen and it is running smoothly with a live wallpaper. I have never got cyanogen to run smoothly for me even with a still wallpaper. Is there some magical setting everyone but me knows about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_R1 View Post
Read through a lot of threads, and understand that there isn't what you're looking for. You might try MIUI, people report it as smooth - never tried it personally. Also, for launcher use LauncherPro, it's smooth.
About the gigahertz stuff: CPU speed doesn't matter as much as SW does. And there is no "smoothness support" yet.
Android isn't smooth. It's powerful, though. Personally, I like the trade off.

Jack_R1
Old
Thanks Meter 948
Power = ability to do things. Not CPU power, OS power.
Smoothness = frame rate of transitions between screens in UI. By most part, it's a result of heavy GPU utilization (which Android doesn't do stock) and programming that puts graphics as top priority (which isn't the case with Android). When CPU is made busy making beautiful graphics, it makes beautiful graphics. When it's not the main concern - it makes what it makes.

Again, you seem to be complaining about the launcher - otherwise you wouldn't bring this live wallpaper thing. So go download LauncherPro.
Nexus One Wiki
Nexus One FAQ.

tameracingdriver
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Folks go on about miui being smooth but personally I found it quite choppy at times, and this was most evident using the miui default launcher and comparing to say an iPhone 4, it looks very stuttery. Its better with launcherpro, but then you've lost half the reason for using it.

I am using cm6 and a theme (minimal matte fwiw ) and its very smooth and nice looking (and believe me I am very sensitive to, and loathe slow performance on a latest Gen phone).

Best compromise I've found yet on android.

SBS_
Old
Thanks Meter 19
I use the latest CM6 nightlies with Launcher Pro Plus and have a lot of widgets on my homescreen, smooth as butter.

I do remember the homescreen being a bit choppy when I ran 2.1 on my N1 though...

jakeneal22
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 27
Have you messed with the performance settings? I hear that switching the performance setting to 24 instead of 34 helps. I'm not on cyanogen right now so I don't remember the exact setting but it is cyan settings then performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS_ View Post
I use the latest CM6 nightlies with Launcher Pro Plus and have a lot of widgets on my homescreen, smooth as butter.

I do remember the homescreen being a bit choppy when I ran 2.1 on my N1 though...