5,600,919 Members 42,635 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My review of the Galaxy Tab - updated 02/02/2011

Tip us?

AndyCr15
Old
Thanks Meter 135

DONATE TO ME
Well I've sent an e-mail. They certainly do look nice.
AndroidAndyUK - Android reviews
HTC Universal --> HTC TyTn II --> HTC Touch HD --> HTC Hero --> HTC Nexus One --> Samsung Galaxy S --> HTC Desire HD --> HTC G2 --> Samsung Nexus S --> Samsung Galaxy S2 --> Samsung Galaxy Note --> Galaxy Nexus --> HTC One X --> Samsung Galaxy S3 -> S3 LTE -> HTC One -> Samsung Galaxy S4 -> Moto G, Galaxy Note 3 & Nexus 5
Samsung Galaxy Tab --> Advent Vega --> Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 --> Nexus 7

Justin^Tan
Old
Thanks Meter 32
can they ship worldwide?

leoni1980
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Default A few goods, a few bads

I have to disagree about the speakers: I think they are very clear and resonant considering the size of the device. On the other hand I agree that the browser is unacceptably jerky and slow....I just can't understand why a device more powerful than the iPad can be so poor in comparison with regards to its web performance. Another gripe is that the browser defaults to mobile sites on any browser that uses the built in webkit. Whilst it might be true that a flash of an updated ROM will fix this, I still think it is ridiculous that I should have to void my warranty to get FULL web sites on the phone - it is after all a TABLET with more than enough power to view full sites. Mobile sites look downright ugly on such a high resolution, large screen anyway.
Another annoyance is that YouTube videos look pretty poor compared to the same ones on the iPad's built in YouTube app. It seems that Samsung were not allowed to tweak Google's app to allow HD streaming. The result is acceptable but certainly not stunning.

On the flip side, I do really enjoy using the device on the whole: I love the build quality, the gorgeous screen, the tactile quality which really makes using apps a dream. Most apps seem to scale excellently and the device fits nicely into a jacket pocket. I even like popping my SIM in and texting on the SGT - handcent is fantastic with such a large screen.

I just hope that Samsung treat this device as their baby and don't fob us off. I think there is developer interest in this device and I hope my enjoyment of the device increases month-by-month....

ConceptVBS
Old
(Last edited by ConceptVBS; 13th November 2010 at 05:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 6
^ There is a new Youtube App from Google. You should download it.

Also, use a different browser like Opera, Dolphin HD or Firefox Beta 2 for improved performance. Not only that it also has better features than the stock browser. Who wants STOCK anyway?

The mobile version does suck however. Hopefully there is a fix for that.

leoni1980
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConceptVBS View Post
^ There is a new Youtube App from Google. You should download it.

Also, use a different browser like Opera, Dolphin HD or Firefox Beta 2 for improved performance. Not only that it also has better features than the stock browser. Who wants STOCK anyway?

The mobile version does suck however. Hopefully there is a fix for that.
the firefox browser has an add on to enable full web browsing. Shame it doesnt support flash though.

Ive got the latest YouTube app but it still doesnt support HD streaming and now has the annoyance of completely restarting any video you might be watching if you exit the app. I swear the old one used to let you carry on where you left off!

pjcltd
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khisha View Post
I would suggest everyone will dial *#1234# and put in here all the info about firmware.
What I got is PDA and CSC are JJ2 and PHONE JJ1.
CSC is locally branded for my operator (Cellcom)
i have
PDA P10000XWJJ3
PHONE: P1000XXJID
CSC: P1000CPWJJ3
hope that helps you out
Mine is unlocked to all networks
Paul J

XDAII User

Did have a Ipaq 5450 with a P800
Did have a XDAII and i loved it.
Did have a XDAiis and loved it.
Did have a HW6515 and i and loved it.
Did have a EXEC and i am lovined it.
Now i have a XDA Orbit And its so Cool

TOMTOM 650 UK

ConceptVBS
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980 View Post
the firefox browser has an add on to enable full web browsing. Shame it doesnt support flash though.

Ive got the latest YouTube app but it still doesnt support HD streaming and now has the annoyance of completely restarting any video you might be watching if you exit the app. I swear the old one used to let you carry on where you left off!
Your one tough cookie to please!

leoni1980
Old
Thanks Meter 52
The YouTube thing IS annoying though - it definitely used to remember your position when you exited the app. Even the iPhone YouTube app remembers where you were when you exit to answer a text, iM, email etc.

ftgg99
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoni1980 View Post
I have to disagree about the speakers: I think they are very clear and resonant considering the size of the device.

I just hope that Samsung treat this device as their baby and don't fob us off. I think there is developer interest in this device and I hope my enjoyment of the device increases month-by-month....
Mine definitely vibrate when i watch things loud. And of course having them on one of the short sides is pointless since you will spend the majority of your time watching in landscape. They should be on the long end/ ends... though this would make them quieter.

Another thing ive found really annoying is the wrong number/ order of soft keys...

And i agree sammy has to come out with clear statements regarding their intent vis a vis future updates. Im going to start a thread about it

techdaring
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You mean you paid $1,200 for this tablet ? I think the price for the unlock version sim free is from $600 to $700 ? Why is it so high ?

Tags
galaxy tab, performance, review, specs, video