Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,457 Members 42,072 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] [REF] Get Download Mode without 3-button combo using homemade JIG

Tip us?

TheBeano
Old
(Last edited by TheBeano; 18th November 2012 at 08:45 PM.) Reason: Make it clear that you can buy pre-made jigs
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Thumbs up [HOWTO] [REF] Get Download Mode without 3-button combo using homemade JIG

This guide is for the situation where your phone is not booting and the three-button combo for getting into download mode is not working for some reason, and you have tried all the other solutions in the FAQ. It won't help you if you can already get into download mode but something else is going wrong with the flashing process, for example you can't get Odin to communicate with the phone.

If the phone's bootloader is still intact, that is you see at least the white Galaxy S/Samsung/AT&T logo or the "PC ! Phone" logo on the screen, you should be able to force it into download mode by connecting a homemade jig that simulates the Samsung "Anyway" field test jig. You can buy these jigs online, or make them using a micro USB plug and a resistor.

If your phone screen is always black, that is it does not display the white Galaxy S/Samsung/AT&T logo when you switch it on, then sorry, this jig will not help you.

If this helps you recover your bricked phone, please donate to the CyanogenMod developers: go to this thread and click the link under "SUPPORT US". Thanks.

If you don't want to buy a pre-made jig, you can build one yourself from a few parts. You will need:
1. a micro USB plug that you can solder onto. If you are not confident with soldering or you just want a tidy solution, buy this micro USB breakout board from Sparkfun.

Otherwise, get a cheap micro USB cable and cut the sleeving off the plug with a sharp knife. You cannot just wire onto the cable because this jig uses a normally-unused pin (pin 4) of the micro USB plug which will not be connected to the cable.

2. a 301k resistor. You can buy one from Digikey, or make one up by joining several resistors together in series, for example 3x100k and 1x1k. The resistor value does need to be fairly accurate (I would guess within 1% of 301k) to trigger download mode. 300K seems to work for everyone so far.

Procedure:
1. Solder the resistor across pins 4 and 5 of the micro USB plug. Do not do this with the plug plugged in to the phone as the heat could damage the phone's USB socket. The pins are shown in this diagram ("Micro-B"). On the Sparkfun micro USB breakout board they are labelled "ID" (pin 4) and "GND" (pin 5). When the plug is plugged in to the phone they will be the pins closest to the headphone socket.

2. Make sure the phone is fully switched off by pulling the battery, waiting 5 minutes, then replacing the battery. Do not switch the phone on.

3. Connect the rigged USB plug to the phone. Try not to touch the pins on the back of the plug or the resistor(s) as you are plugging it in, as your skin resistance could affect the resistor value seen by the phone. You do not need to press the power button. After a few seconds the phone should go into download mode.

4. Disconnect the rigged USB plug and connect a regular USB cable from your PC to the phone, then you should be able to flash using Odin.

For more information on how this works see this thread and this thread.
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to TheBeano For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kb909
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I knew you guys would figure it out - well done. I will build one before I attempt rooting and flashing

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App
HTC Kaiser - Doughnut , Eclair
Galaxy - S - Eclair,Froyo,GB,ICS,JB
Galaxy Tab 10.1 - GB,ICS,JB
Galaxy Note II - JB

d47
Old
Thanks Meter 1
If this works then thats amazing, I will have to make one!

TheBeano
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Well we only have one confirmation so far. If it does work for you please let us know what state your phone was in prior to using it as I'm interested to see what problems it can repair.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheBeano For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d47
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeano View Post
Well we only have one confirmation so far. If it does work for you please let us know what state your phone was in prior to using it as I'm interested to see what problems it can repair.
I would try but my phone is with samsung and I'm not all too handy with a soldering iron =)

sackofnoise
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Hi, anyone have pictures of the cable with the resistor soldered? I am just unsure where to solder it, is it on the micro usb cable side or the standard usb (on which end of the cable?) and which part of the cable do you need to cut open? (i heard there is a pin/wire that usually isn't used?)

Also, if i decided to go with the breakout board, i would only have to get the board+301k resistor plugged in the 4 and 5 pin and plug it in the galaxy and would boot in download mode?

Thank you very much!

mihalas
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeano View Post
you should be able to flash using Odin
Oh, man, You are cooool It works like a charm for Me. Thank You!

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1,577

DONATE TO ME
This is awesome!

added to the wiki

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

TheBeano
Old
(Last edited by TheBeano; 26th October 2010 at 08:47 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackofnoise View Post
I am just unsure where to solder it, is it on the micro usb cable side or the standard usb (on which end of the cable?) and which part of the cable do you need to cut open? (i heard there is a pin/wire that usually isn't used?)
Only the micro USB plug has 5 pins (regular USB plug has 4) so it has to be the micro USB plug. You have to cut the sleeving (insulation) right off the plug. You can disconnect the cable from the plug or leave it attached, but don't plug the other end (the regular USB end) into anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackofnoise View Post
Also, if i decided to go with the breakout board, i would only have to get the board+301k resistor plugged in the 4 and 5 pin and plug it in the galaxy and would boot in download mode?
Yes that's all there is to it.

MarkyG82
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Tried it, worked once. now phone not doing anything. no lights or boot screen......

Tags
usb download mode jig