Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,053 Members 46,116 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Debian on Wildfire

Tip us?

everend
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Talking Debian on Wildfire

Good evening, this is my first post and I'm really happy, I can finally boot a debian on my wildfire, for this I have been guided by manuals for the rest of htc.
As sure a lot of people wanting to play the first thing to do is upload it and explain how it starts, then we can go into details of how and why.
The startup script has a lot to improve and certainly there are some things that are no longer necessary, but I think the first thing is that everyone can enjoy, and after that I dedicate to improve them.
The only thing you need to modify in the phone is to get the root user, I personally used unrevoked for this, besides being very simple, makes available the backup utility nandroid among others, have not tried other methods but I think that any method that can get the root on the adb console, should work
The procedure is very easy and I give you everything you need:
- Compiled binary of busybox
- Start script
- Image file system for ARM Debian Lenny
- ADB download from the official website of android
- Unrevoked 3 there are many guides on how to do, practically only have to download and follow the instructions

Step 1
- Moving files to mobile
-Enter the abd console and create the folder /data/local/bin and /sdcard/debian
-Copy the image file on the sd folder (you can mount as massive storage mode)
-copy Busybox and boodeb.sh to the folder /data/local/bin, for this use
adb push busybox /data/local/bin
adb push bootdeb /data/local/bin
- Set the appropriate permissions, open adb shell and passed to root (in my case just do 'su' and accept the message I apacere on the mobile screen) and run
cd / data / local / bin
chmod 555. / busybox
chmod 555. / bootdeb.sh

Step 2
- Basically enjoy
- In a console as root run
cd /data/local/bin
./Busybox sh bootdeb.sh

and now you are in a debian shell ready to play and break, keep a clean copy of the image file this is the best rollback that I know.

to exit the chroot only do exit, and you can see a restart of the phone, this is to make everything fair, this probably is not necessary because I have noticed that everything was removed successfully, but for now better that way, and later i'll depurare the script to see what can i do.

I'll attach the files and if I have time I put a few catches, excuseme for errors, I will be watching the thread to respond to everything that Ican.

I'll put the filesystem image on mediafire, but is too slow, you can search for debian_aosp21_fisadev zip, it's the same image, i'll put the link when it end, now i go eat
Attached Files
File Type: zip debian-script.zip - [Click for QR Code] (875.9 KB, 302 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to everend For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lagalaga
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Nice hack! Do you have any need for this or did you just do it because it could be done?

everend
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Red face it's ok and running, later wil improve more eficient scripts

with this you can start playing, from this point you can start implementing the rest of guides for debian in G1, ect ... get X11 vnc I will try to bring my own apps server and mail server in my pocket
DeletedUser99284 Old
Thanks Meter
You stole my idea :P. Isn't it funny when two people think of the same thing at once and independently? I've also managed to run Debian on my wildfire. My method is much less sophisticated though. it wouldn't even need adb and soft root is perfectly sufficient.
What tool did you use to generate the image? I used debootstrap. Quite easy IMHO, once you have root and busybox binary. But that comes from Debian user.

As far as I can see, your method is more of a chroot than boot. IMHO, only loading your own kernel into the memory would constitute "booting".

everend
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc1024 View Post
You stole my idea :P. Isn't it funny when two people think of the same thing at once and independently? I've also managed to run Debian on my wildfire. My method is much less sophisticated though. it wouldn't even need adb and soft root is perfectly sufficient.
What tool did you use to generate the image? I used debootstrap. Quite easy IMHO, once you have root and busybox binary. But that comes from Debian user.

As far as I can see, your method is more of a chroot than boot. IMHO, only loading your own kernel into the memory would constitute "booting".
Well, it's normal, really starting in a chroot, but for me is a good starting point to playing. For me upload or not upload your own kernel is indifferent, with the current android kernel for now is sufficient, since it provides the necessary, currently i'm setting up a new image with debootstrap, initially I used the image posted in one of the G1 tutorial and the busybox binary too, if I find the url of the tutorial I put it.
Really is not necessary to use ADB, you can also do from a terminal on the phone, and as I said any method that allows root think it will be valid, but for me it is much more comfortable working on the pc and get rooted with ureboked.

My next steps are try to provide it with swap, graphical environment, ssh (done), vnc-server, webserver and mail server, refine the scripts and later, when get boring i try other things as dual boot, native filesystems etc ... and of course try to help some people to get running

For now I have enough to play a few days

everend
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
as I promised, here is the links to donw my initial image filesystem of debian lenny,

h t t p : / / w w w . me d i a f i r e . c o m / ? l 9 t 6 i 2 0 y z 4 g o 7 5 8
h t t p : / / w w w . m e d i a f i r e . c o m / ? l 9 t 6 i 2 0 y z 4 g o 7 5 8

later i'll post links for new images with more things, only need replace the file and go playing to next level

everend
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
sorry, but I can't post links, drop the espaces and go

Elbie
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by everend View Post
sorry, but I can't post links, drop the espaces and go
Here is the link made for you