Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,383 Members 51,366 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Omnia 7 - microSD card expansion

Tip us?

VinceRothwell
Old
Thanks Meter 0
OK, I have got it apart, but haven't found the SD card yet.

Where the slider is for the USB charger, use a small screwdriver & gently prise the plasic up (with the slider open), gently work your way around to get the complete cover off.

There you will find three screws, once these are rmoved the end will come off, after which you can slide the metal case off. You can then access all the screws.

HTH, Vince

rlatarche
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceRothwell View Post
OK, I have got it apart, but haven't found the SD card yet.

Where the slider is for the USB charger, use a small screwdriver & gently prise the plasic up (with the slider open), gently work your way around to get the complete cover off.

There you will find three screws, once these are rmoved the end will come off, after which you can slide the metal case off. You can then access all the screws.

HTH, Vince
take photos and videos if you can would love to get a 32gb card in my omnia
Current Phone:
Samsung Omnia 7

Old Phone:

HTC Touch HD
HTC TYTN II

hboos
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Thanks Vince!

Taking it apart just now!

Just for clarity...to take the first bit off, open the usb slider and put a screw driver in to take off the plastic from the END of the phone... then everything is easy from there.

hboos
Old
(Last edited by hboos; 29th October 2010 at 05:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 29
is it possible for the microsd card to be underneath the sim card slot or inside the area with the antennae?

Update:

I've pretty much dismantled the whole thing...just need to get the screen off and I can't seem to locate teh sd card.....it might be underneath the samsung sticker?

I have two photos but don\t knoiw hwo to put them up...they are 1.5 mb in size

hboos
Old
(Last edited by hboos; 29th October 2010 at 05:42 PM.)
Thanks Meter 29
Right guys,

After faffing around with this...the microSD card must be located just beneath the screen..unfortunately, I am unable to check for sure because the board has connections glued on to the sides for the power, camera and volume buttons..

what a downer
\

foxbat121
Old
Thanks Meter 198
HTC, and maybe Motorola, is known to use microSD card for internal storage in various phones. Samsung, on the other hand, doesn't do that normally. All the Galaxy S phones have flash chips mounted directly on the circuit board. Samsung makes those flash chips, so it makes no sense for Samsung to use someone else's microSD cards.

digime
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Nice try and thanks for giving it a go.

Here's more info on the official position from MS:

http://windowsphonesecrets.com/2010/...age-expansion/

I said on an HD7 thread that I think they are just being really careful and making sure they minimise potential problems - they don't need the launch to collapse with any Apple-antenna type bad press.

I think I've decided to go for an HD7 and will probably upgrade the memory once I've used up the 16GB.

ali_alex
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Default there is no card in omnia7 :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by digime View Post
Has anyone taken their Omnnia 7 apart yet to see if you can replace the microSD card with a higher capacity one?

It's been done on the HD7 so we need a brave volunteer to try the same on the Omnia.
here's proof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omnia7.jpg
Views:	1453
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	430163  
Z Ultra & Z1 white

root beer
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Pity about that. I thought it would be upgradable but I was wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to root beer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

irdawood
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by root beer View Post
Pity about that. I thought it would be upgradable but I was wrong
Well on the bright side at least we wont have the memory failures prominent in SD-cards Charlie Kindel spoke about.