How to Disable Data Encryption on Nexus 6

In late September, Google decided to step on NSA’s toes and turn on encryption by default in … more

DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Review – XDA TV

The holidays will be here in no time, so why not start thinking about gifts now? Youll be ahead … more

Mozilla Ditches Google, Makes Yahoo Default Search Engine

Mozilla and Google have had a long-standing relationship of about 10 years. Google … more

Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Notification LED

OP Dyonas

27th October 2010, 02:30 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20

692 posts
More
I'm noticing that the LED flashes only some of the time for things like Twitter and SMS. The notification bar has the update on it but the LED seems to not want to play ball.

Has anyone else experienced this or similar? I know the LED works because it shows when charging and when the battery was low it flashed. Specifically I use Touiteur and had the LED set to blue but even on the standard green it's hit and miss.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App
27th October 2010, 03:11 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

30 posts
More
Mine doesn't flash when I get email, but seems to work for SMS or missed calls.
28th October 2010, 10:44 AM   |  #3  
Flag Norfolk
Thanks Meter: 0

54 posts
More
I was hoping someone would make a thread about this, I never got around to making one!

Mine flashes for everything which is annoying!!! I get a lot of emails so is constantly flashing! I've tried going into Settings -> Display -> Notifications and deselecting everything except Missed Calls and SMS/MMS but made no difference!
28th October 2010, 12:09 PM   |  #4  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 45

407 posts
More
i'm so used to Magic 8 colors... shame DHD has only orange and green
also it somehow tends to turn it off after a while being on.
28th October 2010, 03:02 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

692 posts
More
I've sent an email to HTC to ask about it since it's a big issue to me. Notification sounds feel similarly hit and miss so I'm suspecting some trigger is being missed, possibly due to the new Sense UI. I'll post any reply I get.

28th October 2010, 05:30 PM   |  #6  
Flag LONDON
Thanks Meter: 21

164 posts
More
I've got two led's. One for the battery on the right of the speaker and one on the left behind the speaker. The left one is for notifications only n I must say I'm disappointed as its located being the speakers its not as visible as I would like it to be. Is there anyway to get the battery led to function as a notification led as its not covered so much more visible?
29th October 2010, 04:21 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

692 posts
More
I've got a reply but nothing helpful. So far it seems they're willing to blame app compatibility. I've asked for information regarding any changes that have been made to the LED notification system on the Desire HD and now I wait for another reply.

I told them I had no such issues on two other Android phones and they seem to be implying that the apps are coded for specific phones when we all know apps are coded for an SDK version. To quote the part of the reply...

"All the functions/programs you mean are made for Nexus and G1/Dream most of the times, Desire and some other are similar enough for it to work. Cannot help you with third party software."

Pretty clear the guy doesn't have a clue about this so I'm hoping if I nag long enough he'll pass me on to someone with more knowledge.

29th October 2010, 04:23 PM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

692 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty83

I've got two led's. One for the battery on the right of the speaker and one on the left behind the speaker. The left one is for notifications only n I must say I'm disappointed as its located being the speakers its not as visible as I would like it to be. Is there anyway to get the battery led to function as a notification led as its not covered so much more visible?

I see two LEDs up top but charging uses the same LED as the notification system. The left one behind the grill. I haven't seen the second one light so it's probably the proximity sensor.

29th October 2010, 04:53 PM   |  #9  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 45

407 posts
More
i only see one led too (with two colors).

Dyonas tel HTC that even GMail (2.2 app) acts like that... and gmail.apk 2.2 aint made for g1!
29th October 2010, 05:52 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

692 posts
More
Another really pointless reply from them.. in the initial contact I mentioned the camera being misaligned so that's what the first part is referring to. Here's the latest reply and below it is how I have just responded.

Quote:

Dear <me>,

Since receiving your e-mail i have looked for any more known cases and was unsuccessful if you are concerned that this may cause issues i recommend that you take the device back to the retailer.

Regarding the LED,
We do not give developer support so i cannot help you with this.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number <not important>.

Sincerely,

Adrian

Response to it from me..

Quote:

Hi,
With regards to the LED notifications, I'm not asking for developer support or any support in fact. I'm simply trying to find out if HTC have changed the method for using them with the Desire HD. You said that programs are coded for specific phones and I'm sorry but that's not true. They are made for SDK versions, most going as far back as Android 1.6 for widest compatibility, so any changes in the programs affecting the LED notifications would show in ALL versions, not just the version shipping with the Desire HD.

This again points to either HTC changing something with the Desire HD or a programming bug with the Sense UI in some way. I realise this isn't an easy issue to look into but it is a very important one and while I appreciate you're trying your best, I will not let this issue drop until I get a more satisfactory answer.

To me this is a very big deal because if you leave the phone for a few minutes and aren't close enough to hear an audio notification the LED is what I rely on. Missing notifications like this I might expect from a custom ROM but I haven't touched the phone in any way like that. I didn't see your reply in time to mention the GMail issue and I only have my experience to go on which is Twitter updates not always firing. You should raise a ticked too, the more we get raising the issue the better the chance they'll look into it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread