[Q] desire and heat - Anyone else getting hot

Tip us?

nitens
Old
(Last edited by nitens; 29th October 2010 at 11:39 AM.) Reason: error
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] desire and heat - Anyone else getting hot

Folks. Just upgraded to Telstra stock 2.2 and was curious if the excessive heat when taxing the device was a general 2.2 quirk or if the stock Rom is somehow dodgy.

Noticed this most on angry birds. Played for about 20 minutes the other night on 2.1 without any significant heat. 5 minutes tonight under 2.2 and boy did she heat up.

Anyone else noticed this? Thanks in advance.

feroz2u
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Unhappy Htc desire over heat a manufacturing defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitens View Post
Folks. Just upgraded to Telstra stock 2.2 and was curious if the excessive heat when taxing the device was a general 2.2 quirk or if the stock Rom is somehow dodgy.

Noticed this most on angry birds. Played for about 20 minutes the other night on 2.1 without any significant heat. 5 minutes tonight under 2.2 and boy did she heat up.

Anyone else noticed this? Thanks in advance.
i am also facing heat related problem.Mine is unbranded Asia version,while using youtube or any flash video my device get too hot near the charging port or we can say mother board is getting over heat. i think there is some problem with all htc desire bcos this is my second htc desire.I have sold the old one bcos of same reason.
its a shame for htc and they are expecting that desire could be the phone of the year.

Simultaneity
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have the same problem with my Telstra Desire, it always heats up when playing games :\. I called HTC but they said anything under 50 degrees Celsius is within reasonable limits.

I don't like burning my hands and face though....

JagSem
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Get a widget off the market and monitor the temps. Mine will range from around 15 - 35 degrees Celsius.

HTC ONE X PLUS SlimRoms UNOFFICIAL JB 4.3.1
HTC DS Stock
HTC HD2 PixelDroid Carbon 4.4.2

AndroHero
Old
Thanks Meter 890
This is not a issue, the desire has a powerful cpu and obviously no fan, when using complex games and apps, the cpu and gpu have to work hard, thus creating more heat, combine that with the high power drain of the task, the battery also heats up, i know it can be worrying but htc have been doing this for a long time, the desire is made to withstand this

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
------------------------------------------------------------
My Device
HTC Sensation XL
Rom Version - 3 Musketeers Insanely Cool Sense v2.2.1
Baseband - 10.10.12_M
Kernel - 2.6.35.13

mbc2010
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I think this is becoming a serious problem with the Desire, mine started to overheat and then one day just started going into a reboot loop. Never rooted or anything like that.

Unit went for repair and was replaced with a new one, unfortunatley the new one has the SLCD screen

Just a quick comparison now that I have owned both AMOLED and SLCD:

AMOLED = Better battery life
SLCD = Sharper text but poor battery life

Both screens unreadble outdoors on a bright day.

UpSpin
Old
Thanks Meter 21
The SLCD should have better battery life while browsing, worse while watching darker movies.

Heat:
It's normal. My old Nokia mobile phone (not smartphone) got hand-warm while playing simple games, too. Now, the Desire, is a smartphone with a very powerful CPU and GPU. It's no surprise that this thing heats up. The processor even has a heat spreader. The processor is located near the USB port, so this part will get warm while playing games, navigating or doing long web surfing sessions.

All smartphones, using the latest technology have this issue, because all smartphones use the same technology and get passively cooled.

It's nothing to worry about. You can reduce the heat and increase the battery life by rooting and flashing an undervolted kernel.

PS: The Desire never does get that hot that it will burn your skin. So it will get warm, maybe warmer than your skin temperature, but nothing to get worried about.

PPS: I haven't noticed a difference between 2.1 and 2.2. 2.1 cause temperatures above 40 Degree Celcius sometimes, 2.2 also. Since undervolting I never reached that high temperatures again.
Nexus 5

Cactus42
Old
Thanks Meter 76
Just to echo what the others said, the Desire gets hot, that in itself is not an issue. It's got a 1Ghz CPU and that needs to dissipate a hell of a lot of heat when under load but it's got nowhere to go except the casing and your hands.

The reboot loop issue is a known problem but this is a flaw with a number of Desire's out there (my first desire had this) and your Desire can get very hot and be fine. If it gets very hot and reboots you've got a problem.
Google LG Nexus 5 - 32Gb White

Google LG Nexus 4 - 8Gb
-- Donated to the Wife --

AndroHero
Old
Thanks Meter 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus42 View Post
Just to echo what the others said, the Desire gets hot, that in itself is not an issue. It's got a 1Ghz CPU and that needs to dissipate a hell of a lot of heat when under load but it's got nowhere to go except the casing and your hands.

The reboot loop issue is a known problem but this is a flaw with a number of Desire's out there (my first desire had this) and your Desire can get very hot and be fine. If it gets very hot and reboots you've got a problem.
thats a good point, not all cpu's are made the same! my desire gets very hot sometimes but never reboots, some people get lots of reboots when there device gets hot, its the same as overclocking, some people can overclock there cpu to alot higher clockspeeds than others
------------------------------------------------------------
My Device
HTC Sensation XL
Rom Version - 3 Musketeers Insanely Cool Sense v2.2.1
Baseband - 10.10.12_M
Kernel - 2.6.35.13

JMercha
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Mine gets hot after some heavy usage (especially Flash, videos, games etc). Around 40 degrees celsius. Doesn't concern me too much.