5,595,067 Members 39,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone else with a Huawei S7 tablet here?

Tip us?

grenness
Old
(Last edited by grenness; 29th October 2010 at 11:22 PM.) Reason: typo
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default Anyone else with a Huawei S7 tablet here?

I have had my Huawei S7 Android tablet for a week now, and I'm really longing for some Rom hacks - especially to move apps to SD since it apparently only has room for 128MB of apps according to SystemPanel and I'm getting "low space" notifications all the time and thus can't install updates, Gtalk won't run (I think it's related), etc.

Rooting was really simple, just download and run UniversalAndroot.apk but the next steps I'm a bit uncertain about; finding and installing the right Recovery image, then if I succeed installing some apps2sd solution (Darktremor?) or just some Froyo rom.

Another issue is that the SD card is almost not used for anything, seems like all my apps uses internal memory instead of external, maybe that's a 2.1 thing. I transfered a bunch of .avi movies to my microsd card, but Rockplayer can't find them unless I move them to internal memory.

~Christopher

manfly9884
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Hi. Just pre-ordered here in the States, hopefully this will ship by the 7th of Nov. One quick question is the screen in your device resistive or capacitive? As for your dilemma with storage I'm sure that soon a solution will be found by someone here.
OPPO Find 5
ROM: Asylum

Nexus 4
ROM: ParanoidAndroid

http://twitter.com/ChrisGaldames[/url]

Android: Setting you free.

grenness
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfly9884 View Post
One quick question is the screen in your device resistive or capacitive?
Resistive.

manfly9884
Old
Thanks Meter 14
From what I have seeing, the resistive screen is pretty responsive, so this is not a major problem. The small storage space is something that must be addressed if this device is going to last. The archos 7 had this problem in the beggining untill a custom ROM took care of this by doubling the storage size. I think that the HS7 will be fixed in this way first then a2sd might kick in later on.
OPPO Find 5

Nexus 4

grenness
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenness View Post
Another issue is that the SD card is almost not used for anything, seems like all my apps uses internal memory instead of external, maybe that's a 2.1 thing. I transfered a bunch of .avi movies to my microsd card, but Rockplayer can't find them unless I move them to internal memory.
Fixed.

The internal storage memory in the S7 is called "SDCARD" for some stupid reason (have they just bought a lot of cheap 8GB SD Cards and glued them to the motherboard, not bothering with formatting and giving them a different name like "STORAGE" or "DISK"?).
This apparently confuses several applications.
The name for the external Micro SD card, I found out by using Terminal Emulator, is "SDCARD2", so by specifying to RockPlayer that /this/ is where to look for files (SDCARD2 doesn't show up when browsing the directories, not in RockPlayer, not in Astro File Manager, not in stock Video player...) I am finally able to play .avi files from my MicroSD :)

manfly9884
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Good going!
OPPO Find 5

Nexus 4

kevinniven
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Thumbs up Wow

Ok so got mine yesterday at BestBuy and im very impressed with this tablet. Put my tmobile sim card in and works great for data and calls. GPS also works very well.
It would be great to root and put Froyo on this. Screen is very responsive and fit and finish is great. At $299 they have a home run.

tmacgarris6727
Old
Thanks Meter 5
the screen is good until you try to double tap its nice but mines is going back to bestbuy and i will be getting samsung tab

pbrauer
Old
Thanks Meter 160
Got mine over the weekend along with a Cruz Reader and a Cruz Tablet from Best Buy for comparison. Hands down the Huawei is far superior. The capacitive screen alone is just not enough to overcome the rest of the shortcomings of the Cruz Tablet. The S& screen is the best resistive screen I have used, add in BT and 2.1 and I am happy so far. Now we just need a chef to start cooking....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VZW Samsung Galaxy S4 (SGH-i545), Rooted, Stock 4.2.x | ASUS Transformer Infinity CROMi-X ROM(Unlocked/Rooted) | Pebble, Stock

amberelicious
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Got mine yesterday!

I just picked mine up for Best Buy yesterday and I am still playing with it to make my final decision. But for the most part I am liking it. The screen responsiveness it pretty good not as good and my HTC EVO which is what I am use too but it is far better than what I was expecting. A hugh plus is that it has the Android market and front and rear cameras. The only down side it that there is still not much to choose from as far as apps to use the cameras. I got this device to eliminate carrying my Mac from place to place and still be able to post to decision boards and work on my papers when I'm away from home. So far this device has exceeded my expectations.

What is everyone else feeling about their S7?

Tags
android, huawei, tablet