Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,846 Members 51,091 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: You won't update to the latest rom unless you see a compatible theme first!
True! I must have my Community Hero Mix! 139 44.13%
False! The Community Hero Mix is nice, but I'd rather have the newest rom. 131 41.59%
I don't have the Community Hero Mix because I prefer an alternate theme. 31 9.84%
I don't have the Community Hero Mix because I don't want a theme. 14 4.44%
Voters: 315. You may not vote on this poll

[Theme .zip and metamorph] Community Hero Mix

Tip us?

nabzilla1990
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary100100 View Post
Personally I don't like the H which was one of the reasons I started doing my own. I think it's stupid for it to be showing the symbol for HSPA+ when it's only using a 3G connection. It's easy to change but unfortunately it just takes resigning the framework-res.apk file and pushing it over. I suggest using Nabzilla's framework to get it.

Speaking of Nabzilla, where's your version man?
im sorry man got shipped out to phoenix super busy wit work when i get back home around the 28th expect somethin right now im just using my themed king 2.1 1.6.1

Binary100100
Old
Retired Forum Moderator - OP
Thanks Meter 1117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzilla1990 View Post
im sorry man got shipped out to phoenix super busy wit work when i get back home around the 28th expect somethin right now im just using my themed king 2.1 1.6.1
That sucks! Enjoy the weather man!
Device(s) Info:

HTC Amaze 4G :
Energy ICS | Rooted | SIM Unlocked | HBOOT-1.93.2222 JuopunutBear S-OFF | Recovery 4ext | Kernel: HTC Stock

HTC EVO View 4G:
[ACS]CleverNameHere Rom RLS 1 (HC) | hboot 6.14.5556 | Revolutionary S-OFF | TWRP 1.0.3 Port

Samsung SGH-T959 Vibrant (unlocked) :
FFC v2 Mod
| Bionix NextGen 2 | Kernel: OverStock 2.4.1 | KB5 Modem | ClockworkMod Recovery

TeeJay3800
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1603
Quote:
Personally I don't like the H which was one of the reasons I started doing my own. I think it's stupid for it to be showing the symbol for HSPA+ when it's only using a 3G connection.
I'm not sure what you mean. T-Mobile's network is currently HSDPA, with HSPA+ being released sometime in the near future. Either way, they both start with H, so why isn't an H appropriate?

ximmox
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Hello guys and first of all thanks binary for your steady and awesome work!

I have a request: Could you perhaps look into themeing the new "Donut-Launcher" by AnderWeb: .../showthread.php?t=645550 ?
(Sorry, not allowed to post direct links as a new user...)

I have to admit that i didn't yet got around to flash and test it, because of university tests tomorrow,
but as AnderWeb states it:

Quote:
Theme-related things
This thing is not "themed", it uses default highlight colours, etc, so if you're using a themed launcher or a themed rom, it will overwrite it and you'll loose those changes.
Solutions:

* Ask your themer/rom dev to change this launcher images.
* Try using metamorphs out there to change it yourself
Would be nice not to have orange highlights again etc.

Just a request, because the project looks quite promising so far.

Thanks & greetings from Germany, immo

sino8r
Old
Thanks Meter 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay3800 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. T-Mobile's network is currently HSDPA, with HSPA+ being released sometime in the near future. Either way, they both start with H, so why isn't an H appropriate?
I agree. My TP2 currently shows an H icon and I know I'm not connected to plain old UMTS (3G) anymore. In fact, it switches between G to E to 3G to H (GPRS,EDGE,UMTS,HSPA). So, in most cases, T-Mobile is using HSPA in well over half of it's 3G areas. If your downlink reaches pass 400, you're definitely on an HSPA network. 3.5G (aka HSPA+) is being tested by T-Mobile and is actually live in some larger cities in the US currently.
evolution
HTC Wizard G3
HTC Excalibur
HTC Dream
HTC Sapphire
HTC Rhodium
HTC Espresso
HTC Glacier
HTC Vision
HTC Doubleshot
Samsung Note 2

My recent works:
2G/3G/4G/H+ icons for CM7.1 and Nightly

How to defeat data throttling

2.1 with JIT enabled on MTS

boot animation (Nexus "X"/HTC "quietly brilliant") for MTS

TeeJay3800
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1603
Quote:
Originally Posted by sino8r View Post
I agree. My TP2 currently shows an H icon and I know I'm not connected to plain old UMTS (3G) anymore. In fact, it switches between G to E to 3G to H (GPRS,EDGE,UMTS,HSPA). So, in most cases, T-Mobile is using HSPA in well over half of it's 3G areas. If your downlink reaches pass 400, you're definitely on an HSPA network. 3.5G (aka HSPA+) is being tested by T-Mobile and is actually live in some larger cities in the US currently.
Yeah, none of T-Mobile's 3G network is straight UMTS anymore. It's all HSDPA, with HSPA+ in Philidelphia. Soon-ish, they'll have HSPA+ nationwide.

Android phones don't distinuish between HSDPA/HSPA 7.4/HSPA+, so no matter what type of 3G you're connected to, they all begin with H. That's why I think switching the "3G" to "H" would be a good idea. It's also more consistent with GPRS and EDGE (your phone doens't say "2G" when connected to them, it says G or E).

Binary100100
Old
Thanks Meter 1117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ximmox View Post
Hello guys and first of all thanks binary for your steady and awesome work!

I have a request: Could you perhaps look into themeing the new "Donut-Launcher" by AnderWeb: .../showthread.php?t=645550 ?
(Sorry, not allowed to post direct links as a new user...)

I have to admit that i didn't yet got around to flash and test it, because of university tests tomorrow,
but as AnderWeb states it:

Would be nice not to have orange highlights again etc.

Just a request, because the project looks quite promising so far.

Thanks & greetings from Germany, immo
I haven't even tried this Launcher because I've been working at least 12 hours a week on patching the MyTouch 1.2 to have a working touchscreen. I have a couple of developers helping me out though. Some BIG DOGS. I should have results soon because one of the elite devs is going to take a look at it and get back to me on Saturday (so excited!)
But as soon as I can flash CyanogenRoms onto my device I'll try it out. I am a bit hesitant though because it's still 5 screens, it goes against the HERO theme look and it's still in the development stages Which will mean that when he updates... so will I... which means more work... which means less free time... which means I get cranky. You won't like me when I'm cranky.

Quote:
Yeah, none of T-Mobile's 3G network is straight UMTS anymore. It's all HSDPA, with HSPA+ in Philidelphia. Soon-ish, they'll have HSPA+ nationwide.

Android phones don't distinuish between HSDPA/HSPA 7.4/HSPA+, so no matter what type of 3G you're connected to, they all begin with H. That's why I think switching the "3G" to "H" would be a good idea. It's also more consistent with GPRS and EDGE (your phone doens't say "2G" when connected to them, it says G or E).
So what speeds do you guys average? I only average about 800kb/s in the good areas. The fastest that I've ever clocked was 980 at 3 in the morning.

The way that I'm looking at it is like this...
The original Cyanogen roms .png icons contain the letters "3G" so I see no reason (yet) to replace that with a themed "H". Now if the roms had BOTH 3G and H icons then it wouldn't be a problem. But I'll be very dissappointed when I clock at 300 kb/s with an H in my status bar. That just isn't right to me. If it can be balanced out to show 3G when it's on a 3G network and an H when it's on HSPA+ then it wouldn't be a problem. I'm in Silicon Valley and as far as I can tell it's still just 3G.
Device(s) Info:

HTC Amaze 4G :
Energy ICS | Rooted | SIM Unlocked | HBOOT-1.93.2222 JuopunutBear S-OFF | Recovery 4ext | Kernel: HTC Stock

HTC EVO View 4G:
[ACS]CleverNameHere Rom RLS 1 (HC) | hboot 6.14.5556 | Revolutionary S-OFF | TWRP 1.0.3 Port

FFC v2 Mod
| Bionix NextGen 2 | Kernel: OverStock 2.4.1 | KB5 Modem | ClockworkMod Recovery

TeeJay3800
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1603
Quote:
The original Cyanogen roms .png icons contain the letters "3G" so I see no reason (yet) to replace that with a themed "H". Now if the roms had BOTH 3G and H icons then it wouldn't be a problem. But I'll be very dissappointed when I clock at 300 kb/s with an H in my status bar. That just isn't right to me. If it can be balanced out to show 3G when it's on a 3G network and an H when it's on HSPA+ then it wouldn't be a problem. I'm in Silicon Valley and as far as I can tell it's still just 3G.
I'm not sure what you mean by "just 3G." All the various types of connections being discussed are 3G. ALL types of T-Mobile 3G data begin with an H. Straight UMTS (maybe what you are referring to as 3G) no longer exists. Their entire 3G network is HSDPA. Even if you only see 300 kbps, it's still HSDPA. The local network is just heavily taxed at the time the test is run.

What I'm suggesting would show "H" whether you're on HSDPA (like currently) or HSPA+ (in the future), rather than "3G" for both. That seems fine to me, but it's up to you.

I've seen speeds range from as slow as 400 kbps all the way up to 1400 kbps...all on HSDPA. My average would be 600 kbps.

Binary100100
Old
Thanks Meter 1117

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
...Straight UMTS (maybe what you are referring to as 3G) no longer exists..

Maybe I am misunderstanding you...
Device(s) Info:

HTC Amaze 4G :

HTC EVO View 4G:

FFC v2 Mod

TeeJay3800
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1603
Notice that I said "straight UMTS"! Of course their GSM 3G is UMTS-based, but none of it is straight UMTS. At this point, their entire network has been upgraded to HSDPA. So you're phone is reporting correctly...you're on a UMTS-based network, but the specific type of UMTS data you're using is the "enhanced" type of UMTS called HSDPA.

Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSDPA. "HSDPA is an enhanced 3G mobile telephony communications protocol in the HSPA family, also coined 3.5G, 3G+ or turbo 3G, which allows networks based on UMTS to have higher data transfer speeds and capacity."

That's why I keep saying that "H" would be appropriate.

It's not a big deal though. If you prefer "3G", that's fine. I'll keep using CHM Binary release!

Tags
binary100100, community hero mix, nabzilla, nabzilla1990, theme