Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 45,296 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Ubuntu *Working On Epic!!* NOW UPDATED TO V1.2 (03/13/2011)

Tip us?

idkwhothatis123
Old
Thanks Meter 287
This sounds awesome. My only question is does the phone still work if someone calls? Total noob question I'm sure :-/

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

Djinn23
Old
(Last edited by Djinn23; 30th October 2010 at 06:27 PM.) Reason: update
Thanks Meter 29
Default WOOT more options!!

First of all thank you very much for your work here. I am very interested and will start playing shortly. I am a little timid as I am new to Android and just feeling out rom's and Kernels and such and fear branching to OSs will retard my progress. My apprehensions are not strong enough to stop me. . .I am typing while downloading all the stuff I need.

I have a couple of questions for this mod.
- From the instructions this appears to be something that you would not be booting into but would have to launch (at least with the instructions provided). Is this correct?
- Do you have typical functionality of the phone or does this covert the device to a UPMC?
- Uninstallation is as simple as removal of the files?

EDIT: I read the thread again after posting and saw someone saying it runs as a VM on top. . .I would assume that this address question 1, minimizes questions 2 and 3. . .but I am still curious.

This is really fascinating. I will likely press on with it knowing I can restore the puppy if I need some functionality lost or it is booting to this and I can figure out how to go back. a big thing is that it is annoying me that I cant print without some online service. . .but that is another story.

Now onto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkasick View Post
Because it legitimately detracts from the quality of an otherwise fine thread.
You know how they say that you should only say 20% of what you think. I thought the original person making comments was the same type of douchenozzle that corrects spelling errors in chats and stuff. . .not identifying that casual forms of computer mediated communication offers more allowances than . . .say an academic study. I have seen this before, and frankly did not want to call that guy out because he probably does not know better.

IMO - the people legitimizing his complaints, which were not constructive to the spirit of the thread, top him in douchnozzlism and are the reigning champions of douchebaggery. Are you really so spoiled that the deviation from "normal" grammatical rules (in a forum where the norm is more of a deviation really) so distracting that it reduces value from the content the OP was attempting to present. I would argue that all of your comments (and regrettably now mine as well) go a much greater distance in detracting from the quality of an otherwise fine thread then any style, font, color, or other PERSONAL PREFERENCE that the OP could have possibly done.

Sorry. . . grammar Nazis have always been somewhat of a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks OP for the effort of not only putting this together but sharing it with others to enjoy. Sorry for detracting from the quality of your posting with my slight rant above but I am sure that the quality of your posting will survive me and the remainder of the douche clan.

J
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Djinn23 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wjsmaggle
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkidd View Post
yeah it pretty much runs as a virtual machine on top of android...i only tested it and everything but android is always running...it grabs data and internet from the phones 3g/4g connection.
Thanks for the reply! Definitely going to try it out now!

tbparker09
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default sh ./ubuntu.sh error and bootubuntu

alright... so i thought it was a busybox thing that was stopping it but i used odin and did a complete wipe and reinstalled busybox and everything, only for this to keep happening. when i do sh ./ubuntu.sh i get
# sh ./ubuntu.sh
sh ./ubuntu.sh
modprobe: chdir(): No such file or directory
clear: not found
rm failed for -f, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/bin/fsrw, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/bin/bootubuntu, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/bin/unionfs, No such file or directory
rm failed for -/system/bin/mountonly, No such file or directory
Unable to chmod bootubuntu: Operation not permitted

Ubuntu Chroot Bootloader v0.1
Ubuntu Bootloader is now installed!
This process does NOT damage Android OS!

Original Installer by Charan Singh
Modified for Ubuntu Chroot by Max Lee at NexusOneHacks.net

To enter the Debian Linux console just type 'bootubuntu'

Then when i type bootubuntu..

# bootubuntu
bootubuntu
mknod: not found
losetup: not found
mount: Invalid argument
mount: No such file or directory
sysctl: not found
Setting /etc/resolv.conf to Google Open DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
bootubuntu: cannot create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexist
ent
bootubuntu: cannot create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/resolv.conf: directory nonexist
ent
Setting localhost on /etc/hosts
bootubuntu: cannot create /data/local/ubuntu/etc/hosts: directory nonexistent
READY TO ROCK AND ROLL BABY!
Brought to you by BThomas22x and KellyLewis3985 and the open source community!

chroot: can't execute '/bin/bash': No such file or directory

Shutting down Ubuntu
failed.
failed.
failed.
failed.

help please?

BThomas22x
Old
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 474

DONATE TO ME
Yeah it still works... because you're not actually running it on the phone, but rather a type of virtual machine like newkidd said... and I apologize to all the people who are more worried about how I type rather than the quality of work that's done here.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App
Help Me Make My Dropbox BIGGER!
Click Here To Register!

If You're Feeling Generous,Click Here To Buy Me A Cold One

And The Serpent Shall Rise Again...

Djinn23
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Default running but that is all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn23 View Post
- From the instructions this appears to be something that you would not be booting into but would have to launch (at least with the instructions provided). Is this correct?
- Do you have typical functionality of the phone or does this covert the device to a UPMC?

EDIT: I read the thread again after posting and saw someone saying it runs as a VM on top. . .I would assume that this address question 1, minimizes questions 2 and 3. . .but I am still curious.
So I am a fool. after running through this I can see what is going on . It appears that the phone is still on and you are just in the VNC application making a local ssh connection to display the GUI.

I did make some mistakes in the creation of the .bashrc file and will have to work to open it. I did get connected to my local ubuntu and can navigate the gui (hit start button, switch desktops).

I have yet to be able to launch any applications though. I did notice that a click and hold seems different to anything else and there are some input settings that let me use the mouse with the dpad and such.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something. I also had to set the use local mouse option in the VNC settings to be able to get this far. . .but I have yet to be able to actually launch an application. nonetheless. . .this is awesome and thanks. I look forward to the new hotness.

J

wjsmaggle
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
So I am a fool. after running through this I can see what is going on . It appears that the phone is still on and you are just in the VNC application making a local ssh connection to display the GUI.

I did make some mistakes in the creation of the .bashrc file and will have to work to open it. I did get connected to my local ubuntu and can navigate the gui (hit start button, switch desktops).

I have yet to be able to launch any applications though. I did notice that a click and hold seems different to anything else and there are some input settings that let me use the mouse with the dpad and such.

Am I doing something wrong or missing something. I also had to set the use local mouse option in the VNC settings to be able to get this far. . .but I have yet to be able to actually launch an application. nonetheless. . .this is awesome and thanks. I look forward to the new hotness.

J
I too have yet to be able to launch an application. Other than mines that is. I got that running but unfortunately I don't know how to right click so I can't play haha.

BThomas22x
Old
Retired Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 474

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

J
Yes, Ubuntu Runs Off A Virtual Box Basically, So You Still Have Full Functionality Of The Phone, Also To Remove The Files If You Don't Want Them, You Have To Plug Your Phone Back Into The Computer, Boot Ubuntu Through ADB Shell, Then Type These Commands "apt-get autoremove tightvncserver" As Well As "apt-get autoremove lxde" And "apt-get autoremove openssh-server" As Well As Deleting The Files From Your Phone ...If There's Anything Else I Can Help With?
Help Me Make My Dropbox BIGGER!
Click Here To Register!

If You're Feeling Generous,Click Here To Buy Me A Cold One

And The Serpent Shall Rise Again...

kangol69
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This is going straight onto my phone and I'm installing Code::Blocks. Mobile dev station! Thank you so much! Did you try and get the ubuntu netbook interface running? I read it was more geared to smaller screen sizes but I've never taken a look so... And Quit Hating On The UPPERCASE!

akijikan
Old
(Last edited by akijikan; 30th October 2010 at 09:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
I can't get ubuntu to boot after the install. I'm not sure the install completed correctly. Here's my command prompt interface output from the install process:

Code:
Select Code
# cd /sdcard/ubuntu
cd /sdcard/ubuntu
# sh ./ubuntu.sh
sh ./ubuntu.sh
./ubuntu.sh: modprobe: permission denied
./ubuntu.sh: clear: permission denied
rm failed for /system/bin/fsrw, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/bin/bootubuntu, No such file or directory
rm failed for /system/bin/unionfs, No such file or directory
rm failed for -/system/bin/mountonly, No such file or directory
./ubuntu.sh: cp: permission denied
Unable to chmod bootubuntu: Operation not permitted

Ubuntu Chroot Bootloader v0.1
Ubuntu Bootloader is now installed!
This process does NOT damage Android OS!

Original Installer by Charan Singh
Modified for Ubuntu Chroot by Max Lee at NexusOneHacks.net

To enter the Debian Linux console just type 'bootubuntu'
# bootubuntu
bootubuntu
bootubuntu: not found

Tags
epic ubuntu, samsung epic ubuntu, ubuntu
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe