Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] semi-Bricked?? fix?

OP SoSicWiTiT

31st October 2010, 10:09 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

19 posts
hi, i recieved a eris from a friend of mine with the intentions on fixing it and using it. when i power it on there's just a black backlit screen.. no splash, nothing. if i plug usb in it goes to a htc screen with 4 triangles in the corners. i've tried the ruu update and it gives an 110 error at the end saying something about files not found, i unhooked the usb and it went to a white screen with hboot 1.49 , n s-on n all that stuff.. and it showed info from the ruu, and it showed that the system and boot(or recovery, i cant remember exactly) failed and they were red. i can connect with fastboot but not with adb.. is there anything i can do to atleast get the phone working.. fastboot oem boot doesnt work for me, it just gives a long list of errors
31st October 2010, 07:47 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 821

2,148 posts
fastboot will do nothing useful for you if you have the 1.49.0000 S-ON bootloader.

The basic definition of a brick for the Eris is this:

1.49.0000 S-ON bootloader + no recovery + non-booting OS = brick

So, let's review.

1) You have 1.49.0000 S-ON. There is no PB00IMG.zip available to you that can change that using Hboot (without performing some magic with a custom recovery first), and fastboot is worthless with S-ON. So, no go there.

2) You didn't mention (or your description was lacking detail) what happens when you try to go into the Hboot menu (cold start with Vol-Down+End). From there you might be able use the menu to try to launch the recovery boot, to see whether (a) it is the stock recovery, (b) it is a custom recovery, or (c) it fails to start. You should try that next.

If that doesn't work, try a cold start with Vol-Up + End. (You need to keep holding both the buttons down until the screen lights up). That is an alternate way to get to the recovery (when a 1.49.xxxx bootloader is on the phone).

If you have a "stock" recovery, you will see a splash screen with an image of the phone and a triangle with an exclamation point in it. (Pressing Vol-Up+End after you see that splash screen will show a blue menu). If you have Amon_RA's custom recovery, you will see a green menu.

3) If your kernel boots, but the OS is "hanging", there is a remote possibility that you can initiate a factory reset from the "hung" OS. This is a long shot, but you power up the phone normally and then press together Vol-Up+Send+End after waiting a couple of minutes. This might make it bootable. (As I said, "long shot". The fact that you have 1.49.0000 on the phone suggests that the prior owner tried some things - and apparently failed at it.)

bftb0
1st November 2010, 05:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
thanks for the response

i tried all of that just now and all i get is a black backlit screen unless i connect usb which gives me a black screen with HTC n four exclamation point triangles in the corners. and there isnt anything i can do from that screen and its bricked huh?
1st November 2010, 07:43 AM   |  #4  

2,148 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSicWiTiT

thanks for the response

i tried all of that just now and all i get is a black backlit screen unless i connect usb which gives me a black screen with HTC n four exclamation point triangles in the corners. and there isnt anything i can do from that screen and its bricked huh?

That's not a very good sign. I will say, however, that it is very strange that you can get the phone into RUU mode but not have a working bootloader - those two observations are mutually exclusive.

For grins, you could check to see if perhaps your Vol-Up/Vol-Down keys are broken by doing the following:

- Cold start the phone by pressing Send + End simultaneously (make sure to press Send first so that you are not initiating a normal boot; hold both keys down until the screen lights up). Make sure you pull the battery and have the USB cable disconnected when you pull the battery before you try this (to insure that the phone is "really" off).

If that works, the phone will be in Fastboot mode. You might be able to get into Hboot (but not recovery if your Vol-Up/Vol-down keys are broken) at that point with the command
Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader
from a USB-connected PC.

Under normal circumstances, you can navigate from Fastboot Mode to Hboot and then from there to the Recovery boot - but this requires working Vol-Up or Vol-Down keys.

There is a very, very slim chance that if you can get Hboot launched this way (that is "fastboot reboot-bootloader")... and try to apply the Leak-V3 "PB00IMG.zip" file. If I recall correctly, you don't need Vol-Up/Vol-Down to apply an HTC PB00IMG.zip file - just the trackball press.

I'm not optimistic though - I think that the Leak-V3 (and all other Leak PB00IMG.zip) files probably will just fail with "Main Version is Older Messages".

As for other avenues of approach, there are no publicly known exploits of the RUU mode (= oem-78 mode).

Good luck
1st November 2010, 10:53 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
well
actually after staying up n working at it for 48 hours, i'm halfway done with a solution...and maybe the first ruu exploit.

i decided to run the 2.1 RUU and after it does its install wizard thing, i navigated to the temp folder where it installed all the files. i took the root rom (pb00img.zip) n renamed it to "rom.zip" then over wrote the version in the temp folder and started the ruu (clicked next and what not).. it failed as usual with error 110.. but afterward i noticed my phone says

pb00100 xc ENG S-OFF
HBOOT-1.49.2000

and before i did the file swap and ruu it said

pb00100 XC ENG S-ON
HBOOT-1.49.0000

so now i might be able to flash a custom recovery thru fastboot since i have s-off now

if not.. still.. its progress
1st November 2010, 11:44 AM   |  #6  

2,148 posts
Hmmm, interesting.

Whether or not that qualifies as new behavior sort of depends on what your "friend" did to the phone prior to getting it into the nearly bricked state. If they had previously run the jcase "Flash any RUU" method, then the Root ROM would have "taken" with the Hboot method... although in your case, since you "couldn't get there from here", my hat's off to you for a clever way of making the best of what you have!

Since you have the S-off bootloader, you might be tempted to direct-boot Amon_Ra without even bothering to flash it:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery-RA-Eris-v1.6.2.img
to see if your phone springs to life... congrats if you see a menu!
1st November 2010, 12:09 PM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bftb0

Since you have the S-off bootloader, you might be tempted to direct-boot Amon_Ra without even bothering to flash it:

Code:
fastboot boot recovery-RA-Eris-v1.6.2.img
to see if your phone springs to life... congrats if you see a menu!

i did that right after i seen it say "S-OFF". i get to the menu but when i try to flash a rom it gives me an error after formatting system.
Code:
E:Can't symlink /system/xbin/arp
E:Failure at line 65:
symlink /system/xbin/busybox SYS
TEM:xbin/arp
and after hours or more reading, everything is pointing to the boot and system partitions being corrupted by a bad flash of some sort.

i think i might have hit the end of the road..

EDIT

i managed to somehow get all the regular hboot, fastboot, n recovery to work and flashed amon_ra and can get to it from volup+power.. even got the 3 skateboarding droids on normal power on..

but cant flash any roms , from amon's ( gives the error above )or pb00img from hboot (at the end has "failed-PU" next to system..)

any idea's?
Last edited by SoSicWiTiT; 1st November 2010 at 02:26 PM. Reason: made progress..
1st November 2010, 07:57 PM   |  #8  

2,148 posts
I have a couple ideas (still typing them up) ... in the meantime, if you boot Amon_RA and then open up a shell from the PC ("adb shell") and then

- check the output of "dmesg" to insure that the MTD partition table is still intact; you should see something like this towards the beginning of the boot log:

Code:
NAND_EBI2_ECC_BUF_CFG: 1ff
flash_id: 5501bcec size 20000000
Creating 6 MTD partitions on "msm_nand":
0x00001ff60000-0x000020000000 : "misc"
0x000002c60000-0x000003160000 : "recovery"
0x000003160000-0x0000033e0000 : "boot"
0x0000033e0000-0x00000dde0000 : "system"
0x00000dde0000-0x000015fe0000 : "cache"
0x000015fe0000-0x00001ff60000 : "userdata"
- try mounting (in turn) each of /system, /data, /sdcard, e.g.:
Code:
mount /sdcard
mount /data
mount /system
/cache should already be mounted.

Which mounts fail?

bftb0
1st November 2010, 08:14 PM   |  #9  

2,148 posts
The scenario you describe has come up before - or at least very similar symptoms.

Note that Nandroid restore will fail because it uses standard Unix tools such as "rm" to clear filesystems, so if a partition will not mount because of a corruption issue, nandroid will fail. I suppose that the same thing is true of the /sbin/recovery utility running underneath the booted recovery kernel (but I have not read the source code to verify that it is attempting to "mount" the filesystems first - if it didn't do that, it would need to understand the raw format details of yaffs2, and I think that is a stretch).

Unfortunately the filesystem formatting tools provided by Amon_RA do not include tools for repairing the mtd (NAND flash) - they are for the SD card/ extN filesystems. It is my impression, however, that the "yaffs2" filesystem is "format free" - meaning that a clean (Flash memory) "yaffs2" filesystem is simply a bunch of zero'ed pages - no superblocks, or Inode lists, - none of that. This suggests that the equivalent of "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mtd/mtdNNN bs=..." could "repair" a yaffs2 file system by simply wiping it... but let's try something a little less crude than that (see below).

I had one of the file systems in my phone in this state at one time and I was able to repair the problem by reflashing the Root ROM - otoh, XDA user "stick" tried this and it seemed to produce a permanent brick in his case, so I am reluctant to recommend you do that. (You might, however, want to perform the jcase "Flash any RUU" hack to the "misc" partition so that you have flexibility to apply any PB00IMG.zip file)

Because the "flash_image" tool (in /sbin/flash_image in Amon_RA) writes both boot images and yaffs2 image files to arbitrary mtd partitions (and raw binary files to "misc"!), there is a chance that it is merely the equivalent of "dd for the MTD device" - so that you could "repair" a corrupted yaffs2 filesystem by simply overwriting it with a valid yaffs2 image file. The repair strategy here would be to:

- Unpack any PB00IMG.zip file and move the contents to a folder on the SD card. (Verify the md5sums of the files on the SD card before you use them - use this reference)

- Use "flash_image" from Amon_RA to flash the corresponding image file for the offending ("won't mount") partition, e.g.

Code:
flash_image system /sdcard/unpacked-PB00IMG/system.img
If this succeeds, see if you can "mount /system".

bftb0

PS Don't try flashing "system.img" using fastboot. However it is engineered (by the HTC bootloader) it will fail due to space issues. It is possible that the HTC bootloader uses the /cache partition to temporarily stage the file, which is only 130 MB compared to 159.5 MB for the /system partition - but whatever the explanation, the experimental result is that that on the Eris, you can not flash /system from fastboot. All the other partitions, no problem - but not the /system partition.
Last edited by bftb0; 1st November 2010 at 08:34 PM.
1st November 2010, 09:22 PM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

19 posts
thanks,

i tried what you suggested and it let me mount all 3 of those partitions, and i tried using flash_image to flash the system.img i extracted and in return got a million and one errors..

starting with mtd: ECC error soft 0 hard 1 (continuing until about a hundred something)
then

mtd: not writing bad block at (basically the entire /system hex range)

then finally

error writing system: no space left on device

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
110, bricked, eris, error, failed
Previous Thread Next Thread