Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,892 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nook Color Root?

Tip us?

Zed Snardbody
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nook Color Root?

Ok this might be a stupid question but I was wondering if those more knowledgeable think the new Nook Color tablet/eReader might be rootable?

I'm only asking since it does seem to be running a heavily skinned version of android, and I doubt that they'll release a Kindle app for it

I wouldn't even bother asking really but the price point is tempting.

epakrat75
Old
Thanks Meter 107
Anything running android is more than likely rootable unless it has special hardware like the HTC G2 or Moto Droid2 to prevent such things. However...without any way of turning USB debugging on from the interface, even issuing commands through the ADB / SDK might not be of much use. The device may present its' own unique set of challenges.

cabbieBot
Old
Thanks Meter 50
im very much hoping to see whether XDA can root it. The original nook was extremely simple to root.

A rooted $250 tablet with a vividview screen with anti-glare laminant running cyanogen and android market access would be tremendous.

Mastiff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
It would be my son's Christmas present for sure! If I like it I'll get another one for myself... But it has to be rooted so I can install at least a real office suite (the one that comes with it only views M$ Office documents, you can't edit them. And of course I need a comic book reader for that nice monitor. It's almost the size of a good old Marvel or DC comic!
Mastiff

sprntrl
Old
Thanks Meter 0
From the look of the device, it appears to only have 1 'hard' button ('n') rather than the 4 standard android buttons (home, menu, search, back). How would this be addressed if the device is indeed rootable?

I guess there could be a UI overlay/modification for stock android (via launcher) that uses the 'n' button to activate an on-screen "drawer" that contains all 4 buttons.

Mastiff
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Anything's possible with the wiz kids (and older wiz dudes) on this board!
Mastiff

svet-am
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprntrl View Post
From the look of the device, it appears to only have 1 'hard' button ('n') rather than the 4 standard android buttons (home, menu, search, back). How would this be addressed if the device is indeed rootable?

I guess there could be a UI overlay/modification for stock android (via launcher) that uses the 'n' button to activate an on-screen "drawer" that contains all 4 buttons.
I saw a "dead" demo unit today and they appear to have four hard buttons (not all of which useful): power, vol+, vol-, nook.

I don't know if it will be possible on the NookColor, but other "single button" android tablets have been hacked to use the hard volume buttons as menu and back and simply ignore search.

cjthebest
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I agree! The Nook Color apparently has processor that is comparable to the Motorola X and Droid 2. I think that it would be amazing if it is rooted and could run Stock Android and the Market! Then it would be kind of like the Galaxy Tab, except for some hardware but they both have the same IPS screen resolution, and the Nook costs a lot less money. I already ordered mine. Can't wait to see what happens!

Uglyboyed
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
It would be my son's Christmas present for sure! If I like it I'll get another one for myself... But it has to be rooted so I can install at least a real office suite (the one that comes with it only views M$ Office documents, you can't edit them. And of course I need a comic book reader for that nice monitor. It's almost the size of a good old Marvel or DC comic!

This would be awesome if they can add in a nice comic book reader and subscription service like the newsstand they are pushing so hard. 75% of Ipad/Galaxy Tab Power for half the price. Preordered one for me and one for the wife

phattchumpy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
This would be awesome