XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nook Color Root?

Tip us?

pokey9000
Old
Thanks Meter 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor1971 View Post
Oh good.. so I can stop trying to compile musb support into u-boot. My debian box was being utterly retarded anyway. Wish he'd post his u-boot though.
MLO and u-boot plus the patch to the omapzoom u-boot: http://www.mediafire.com/?rev9h7r27whe171 This is to get u-boot to spit out a serial console over the USB D+/D- pins. You need to build your own cable to make any use of it though.

TheDoctor1971
Old
Thanks Meter 5
lol, thanks for that. Didn't really want to build a cable though :eek:

boret
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey9000 View Post
MLO and u-boot plus the patch to the omapzoom u-boot: This is to get u-boot to spit out a serial console over the USB D+/D- pins. You need to build your own cable to make any use of it though.
Congrats Pokey9000!! Good job!

TheDoctor1971
Old
(Last edited by TheDoctor1971; 29th November 2010 at 01:22 PM.)
Thanks Meter 5
This will give you a root shell but there's not a whole lot else at this point until further developments are made.

Latest info:

[04:00:25] <[mbm]> http://www.multiupload.com/R6U2NEMXHI <- uImage
[04:02:27] <[mbm]> http://www.multiupload.com/MJY8SS8BAB .. there's the sdcard image
[04:03:10] <[mbm]> dd to an sdcard, wait for fastboot and then run 'fastboot boot uImage' with the previous file
[04:04:03] <[mbm]> when the kernel boots there will be a serial and ethernet device on usb
[04:04:29] <[mbm]> ethernet runs telnet and ssh
[04:04:37] <[mbm]> serial is a getty
[04:13:54] <[mbm]> usb ethernet on the nook is 192.168.2.2

So what you get is a new usb interface called usb0 (on both the nook and your linux box)

set the linux box's usb0 to 192.168.2.1 and you should be able to ssh to the nook on 192.168.2.2. root has no password. takes a long time to generate ssh keys so be patient. Also, its 5am here and I'm half asleep.. so hopefully this all makes some sort of sense.
sincere8 Old
Thanks Meter
So has anyone dd'ed the nook flash to file, so we can look thru it?

TheDoctor1971
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Yeah, pokey did. Although he's asleep now
I'm working on connecting to mine via ssh right now. I'll amend my post above with better instructions shortly.

Spookymonster
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Nice! May have to rethink putting off that NC purchase now...
just to jump back to soft buttons again, is this something that could be done on the system level, or would it require each app to be modified to show it?

stevetotheo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
We got any developers that are ready to make a rom or anyone with the knowledge to port something over?
Steve–O

clockworx
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookymonster View Post
Nice! May have to rethink putting off that NC purchase now...
just to jump back to soft buttons again, is this something that could be done on the system level, or would it require each app to be modified to show it?
Hah, I just ordered mine after putting it off.

Softbuttons generally end up in the notification bar (which can be tweaked in size to accommodate them if desired), so you don't have to add them to every app. The only issue that raises (that I am aware of) is that for some full-screen apps the notification bar isn't visible. If soft buttons are added, it might be possible to modify the Nook button to force the notification bar display.

madsquabbles
Old
Thanks Meter 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworx View Post
Hah, I just ordered mine after putting it off.

Softbuttons generally end up in the notification bar (which can be tweaked in size to accommodate them if desired), so you don't have to add them to every app. The only issue that raises (that I am aware of) is that for some full-screen apps the notification bar isn't visible. If soft buttons are added, it might be possible to modify the Nook button to force the notification bar display.
it would be just like the archos 70 and 101, but better since they would be so dang big and cover important parts of games and programs.