Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,815 Members 40,272 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tab's AllShare (DLNA client)

Tip us?

koven
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dliao View Post
I'm looking for a streaming solution too for the Tab. On the iPad I had the StreamToMe software running, and it would transcode the video on the fly, and stream to iPhone or iPad. Doesn't seem like there's similar solution on Android. I tried copying some of the movie file I have and it's just laggy to play even locally with vPlayer and RockPlayer. Anyone has a good solution?
In Rock layer turn on hardware decoding or use mPlayer
This is a story about memory,
and that's what can be
remembered...

agentdr8
Old
(Last edited by agentdr8; 3rd January 2011 at 04:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,038

DONATE TO ME
I think I've found a good combination for streaming to the Tab. I used to have an Archos 70IT, which had native smb and upnp support, which worked great with my upnp server. The software I am using is PS3 Media Server (java-based, so multiplatform capable: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/). At first, I tried using AllShare, which sucks as a renderer. I couldn't make it work with PMS, regardless of settings in the renderer config file snippet I had grabbed from their forums.

Not to be completely beaten, I took a recommendation from this thread to install UpnPlay from the Market, as well as VPlayer. UpnPlay has its own user-agent string, which is not entirely needed in PMS, as you use it only to browse the media. To actually stream something, it sends a different user-agent string, which I've captured and put into a renderer config file (below). PMS is pretty much set as default as far as transcoding options, and it seems to be able to stream pretty much anything to VPlayer. I also tried the most recent RockPlayer, and while it has a nicer interface, the performance is sub-par. You can't enable the hardware decoding in RP unless your transcoded files are of a format that the stock video player can decode.

Code:
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Samsung Galaxy Tab
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Samsung Galaxy Tab Vplayer
RendererIcon=bravia.png
UserAgentSearch=Lavf52.88.0
Video=true
Audio=false
Image=false
SeekByTime=true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
DefaultVBVBufSize=false
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
MimeTypesChanges=audio/wav=audio/L16|video/x-matroska=video/avi|video/x-ms-asf=video/x-msvideo
MediaInfo=true
Supported=f:avi|divx v:mp4|divx|mjpeg a:mp3|lpcm|mpa|ac3 m:video/x-msvideo  qpel:no gmc:0
EDIT: This same setup works great on my Captivate too
AT&T HTC One (m7)
ARHD'd

Check out my Xposed modules
Stock Sense 6 battery with percent
Xposed StatusBar Mods - Statusbar mods for HTC One-series
TD Fuzzer - Change Touchdown device provisioning data
GoogleCamX - Use Volume buttons to zoom in Google Camera
XFBSync - Restore native FB syncing in CM10+
XposedMTC - Mods for KGL/RM/KLD Android headunits
GCalMonthDetail - Enable/customize event text in GCal month view
SkypeX - Spoof Skype version sent to servers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to agentdr8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lasimo0
Old
Thanks Meter 9
@agentdr8
You did it! Works great for me following your instructions. I've been able to play back everything I've thrown at it so far (mkv, avi, 720p, ac3 audio, etc). Many thanks.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy SII
ROM: UnNamed 2.1.1
--------------------------
Tablet: VZW Galaxy Tab
ROM: ICS
--------------------------
Tablet: Galaxy Tab 8.9
ROM: Galaxian Soup ICS Alpha5

derfele
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The combination of UPnPlay and VPlayer also works flawless and out-of-the box with MediaTomb. Thanks agentdr8 for the tip!

roy8846
Old
Thanks Meter 92
uPnPlay and VPlayer works perfect here

seamonkey420
Old
(Last edited by seamonkey420; 9th January 2011 at 04:40 PM.) Reason: found by searching.. seems no one is porting due to the copyright factor..
Thanks Meter 45
Default related but a little off topic..

is there anyone working on trying to pull the AllShare DLNA client from the Tab/Galaxy roms and porting to other devices?

i really like the app personally and would love to be able to use it on my nexus one to then share content to the tab from the nexus one

i'm very new to trying to do anything related to porting and not even sure where to start but figure first things first, nandroid and then i'm rocking to start breaking my nexus one and trying to get it working.. *found by searching.. seems no one is porting due to the copyright factor..*

does DLNA use touchwiz related libraries? i'm thinking the divx libraries may be part of it too.
i'll start a new thread if i get anywhere..

also, PS3 Media Server is a great DLNA server!! been using it since day one on the PS3 and now w/AllShare, works pretty dang good. Win7 MCE is ok but won't stream my recorded HDTV shows (has issues w/the wtv format, drm) but does do my mp4s, music and photos pretty nicely.
Sony Xperia Z1 w/SW2 (T-Mobile, Stock ROM)
  • Google Glass v2 Explorer Edition
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 WiFi/4G (ATT, rooted)

tech-recipes
my tech blog

knightnz
Old
Thanks Meter 244

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey420 View Post
is there anyone working on trying to pull the AllShare DLNA client from the Tab/Galaxy roms and porting to other devices?
Why not mount your share as a local folder and just play directly from that? Pretty much any custom ROM on the N1 will have CIFS support to mount a SAMBA share.
---

Spelling essentials:
1) There is NO SUCH WORD as "alot" - It's "a lot"
2) The shortened form of You are is You're - NOT Your
3) Loosing & Loose have completely different meanings to Losing & Lose.

agentdr8
Old
Thanks Meter 1,038

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey420 View Post

i really like the app personally and would love to be able to use it on my nexus one to then share content to the tab from the nexus one
You can use Twonky on the N1 to have it share out media to your Tab.
AT&T HTC One (m7)
ARHD'd

Check out my Xposed modules
Stock Sense 6 battery with percent
Xposed StatusBar Mods - Statusbar mods for HTC One-series
TD Fuzzer - Change Touchdown device provisioning data
GoogleCamX - Use Volume buttons to zoom in Google Camera
XFBSync - Restore native FB syncing in CM10+
XposedMTC - Mods for KGL/RM/KLD Android headunits
GCalMonthDetail - Enable/customize event text in GCal month view
SkypeX - Spoof Skype version sent to servers

maxjivi05
Old
Thanks Meter 134

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritdaw View Post
Try twonky from the market, works quite well.
+1 twonky is awesome

Sent from my SPH-P100 using XDA App

Lucin
Old
Thanks Meter 1
hey guys,

I also bought a tab yesterday and couldnt get the streams running. I Tried the upnp of my nas (DNS 323) with Upnplay and Rockplayer /Vplayer.

Then i installed the Ps3 Media Server and I also created the galaxy tab conf from agentdr8 but i do not know what to do with it.

How can i force PSMS to use this galaxytab config renderer. I do not know where to put the conf file... can anybody help a noob on this? Do i need to put it somehow in a rootfolder from PS3 Mediaserver or where?