[APP] AFV File Verifier for Android™

2nd November 2010, 12:08 AM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Indy
Thanks Meter: 88

266 posts
More
Introducing the AFV File Verifier for Android™ app, now available (free) in the Market (search for "AFV"; QR code and screenshots are also below in the attached thumbnails).

The AFV File Verifier for Android™ application is a tool for helping to verify and validate that files transferred to your Android device are whole and uncorrupted.

Developers are welcome and encouraged to include this app in their custom ROMs to assist end-users with checking the completeness and validation of their (your ) downloaded custom ROMs.

The AFV File Verifier for Android™ app does this by offering:

- MD5, SHA-1, SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, SHA-512 checksum calculation

- "jarsigner -verify"-type validation of signed jar-type files (.jar, .apk, .zip files)

- Nandroid backup directory verification via "md5sum -c"-type functionality

These functions are particularly useful for root users who want to verify/validate that their custom ROMs, themes, and installable .zip files are whole and uncorrupted. However, this app does not require that you be rooted and can also be useful for checking the validity of other non-root files such as application .apk files.

Features

- Includes function to calculate an MD5 or SHA1 checksum for a selected file

* Useful to verify completeness and integrity of files transferred to your Android device
* File size is also displayed
* Calculated checksum is copied to clipboard

- Includes function to perform jar file verification of signed jar-type files (true .jar files, .apk files, signed .zip files such as ROMs, installable .zips, etc.) via 'jarsigner -verify'-type functionality. This function will verify the SHA1 checksums of each file listed in the signed jar file's META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file.

- Includes function to verify Nandroid backup directories via "md5sum -c" type functionality. You navigate to the Nandroid backup directory that you'd like to check, long-press the nandroid.md5 file, and select the Verify Nandroid Backup option. The function will then calculate and verify the MD5 checksums of each file listed in the nandroid.md5 file against the files in the Nandroid backup directory. Additionally, I've added some special name audits for Nandroid backup directories to point-out any issues you might encounter should you attempt to restore a mis-named Nandroid backup.

How to use

- From main / home screen, press the "Select File" button to enter the file-selector

- Top row (folder icon with the green up arrow) always displays the currently selected directory (touch this row to navigate UP one directory level)

- Back key can also be used to navigate UP one directory level (will return to main screen when pressing back key at root directory)

- Navigate to other subdirectories by touching a directory row (folder icon)

- Touch screen and drag up and down to scroll through all files and directories in currently selected directory

- Long-press on a file to view the available functions:

* Calc MD5 Checksum
* Calc SHA1 Checksum
* Verify Jar-type file
* Verify Nandroid Backup (long-press nandroid.md5 file to use this function)
* Calc SHA224 Checksum
* Calc SHA256 Checksum
* Calc SHA384 Checksum
* Calc SHA512 Checksum

Miscellaneous

Works for any Android version 1.5 or higher; has been tested on:

* Motorola Droid X (v2.1, v2.2)
* Motorola Cliq (v1.5)
* HTC Droid Eris (v2.1)
* Samsung Epic 4G (v2.1)

Menu items supported (main screen only):

* Help
* Acknowledgements
* Change Log
* Filtering options (no filtering or show only zip/jar/apk/img-type files)
* Jar Verify options (normal / fast mode or beta / explicit SHA1 calculation mode)
* Current settings
* Exit App

More app details (additional screenshots, etc.) can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/scaryalienware

Acknowledgements

- jcase at XDA for allowing me to view an example project co-authored w/eclips3 and for the starter MD5 Java code

- XDA's bftb0 (Android Forums' erisuser1) for his encouragement, review, feedback and suggestions for helping me improve this app

- AF and XDA doogald for his very helpful reviews, feedback, and continued support

- Robert W. Harder for his Base64 encoding/decoding classes (http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/index.html)

Related threads:

- Verify your File's MD5 Checksums!

- On-phone ROM Checksum Verifier

- Devs - Please publish you MD5's - XDA

Please check out the app and let me know if you have any problems, questions, or comments. Cheers!

Change Log

[version 2.3 - 11-Jan-2014]:
- fix issue w/verifying TWRP Nandroid backups [thanks to Marc M. for the kind heads-up re. this]

[version 2.2 - 09-Nov-2013]:
- fix force-close (FC) issues for some devices (Google added new external storage read permission requirement in 4.1 and higher)

[apologies for the delay in fixing]

[version 2.1 - 24-Feb-2013]:
- support auto-verification of MD5 checksum in *.tar.md5 files (thanks for Mike D. for this excellent suggestion)
- better recognize .md5 file entries formatted by other md5sum utilities (i.e., other than busybox md5sum applet)

[version 2.0 - 18-Jul-2012]:
- support Nandroid backup verification for Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) custom recoveries
- moved two checksum comparison options to the main screen from the menu
- several other minor tweaks and enhancements

[version 1.9 - 26-Jun-2012]:
- minor update to fix crash when non-.md5 file is selected for a Nandroid verification

[version 1.9 - 23-Jun-2012 Android 2.3 and up]:
- support .md5 files w/spaces in file names in 'Verify Nandroid Backup' and 'md5sum -c Type Check' functions

[version 1.8 - 21-Jan-2012 Android 2.3 and up]:
- better display support for tablets and other phone screen densities
- can now also invoke Verify Nandroid Backup function by long-pressing Nandroid backup directory name
- support orientation changes (previous orientation locks have been removed)
- display full information in landscape mode just is done in portrait mode

[version 1.7 - 12-May-2011]:
- display file size after file name in file selector (with menu option to disable)
- add 'Return to Main' menu option in file selector (so you don't have to hit back key)
- tighten-up Nandroid-verification function so that non-'nandroid.md5' files do not cause FCs [note/reminder: the 'Nandroid Verify' function is done against the nandroid.md5 file in your Nandroid backup's directory]
- revise/enhance results pop-up display for the Nandroid Verify function

[version 1.6 - 02-May-2011]:
- thanks to all who have donated or purchased the donate version (very much appreciated!)
- fix FC issue when null/empty URI is received via Send function (please contact me if you experience an FC or other issue)
- several other minor fixes
- dynamically identify external storage directory instead of hardcoding /sdcard
- make pop-up dialogs cancelable via back button

[version 1.5 - 11-Apr-2011]:
- fixed FC issue when last remembered directory is no longer present (renamed / deleted) and
app is re-launched (thanks to Michael C. for bringing this to my attention)

[version 1.4 - 7-Apr-2011]:
- display elapsed time for long-running operations
- allow app to be invoked from other applications (tested with Astro File Manager, Estrongs File Explorer, OI File Manager)
- added donate button (donate version of app will be published soon)
- added 'md5sum -c Type Check' function for .md5 files (equivalent to 'Verify Nandroid Backup') to make it clear that functionality exists for non-Nandroid .md5 files too

[version 1.3 - 2-Feb-2011]:
- now supports SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512 digest/checksum calculation
- display checksum results in a pop-up to ensure viewing checksum results on all phones
- keep screen on while progress-bar is displayed in long-running calculations
- directory name is now remembered from last file selection
- added help menu function for file selection screen

[version 1.2 - 23-Jan-2011]:
- supported standard preferences / settings menu instead of individual menu items
- added SD card mounted check before allowing file selection
- added two methods for comparing MD5 or SHA1 checksums:
* auto-comparison of calculated checksums w/menu option to display comparison results
* manual input of checksum (or paste from clipboard) value to be compared w/next calculated checksum
- changed default sort order of file / directory names to ignore case
- added option to toggle ignoring of case when sorting file / directory names
- force all screens to portrait orientation to fix/prevent FCs (future version will handle orientation changes correctly)

[version 1.1 - 10-Nov-2010]:
- re-instituted checksum clipboard copy lost due to prior UI revamp
- locked orientation of main screen to portrait so checksum results are displayed on all phones (both issues kindly reported by AF's starflorida)

[version 1.0 - 25-Oct-2010]:
- initial Android Market release
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01-main-screen-with-menu.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	507296   Click image for larger version

Name:	02-prefs-settings.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	507297   Click image for larger version

Name:	03-file-select-with-help-menu.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	507298   Click image for larger version

Name:	04-long-press-context-menu.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	507299   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-file-select-help-menu.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	507300  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06-calc-md5.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	507301   Click image for larger version

Name:	07-result-pop-up.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	507302  
Attached Files
File Type: apk Android File Verifier-v2.0b.apk - [Click for QR Code] (110.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: apk Android File Verifier-Legacy-v19b.apk - [Click for QR Code] (101.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: apk Android File Verifier-v2.1-final.apk - [Click for QR Code] (111.8 KB, 317 views)
Last edited by scary alien; 9th September 2014 at 01:09 AM. Reason: update with v2.1 version and change log
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd November 2010, 02:45 PM   |  #2  
Flag Asiago
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
More
nice work....
pls post apk files here thx man
2nd November 2010, 03:58 PM   |  #3  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 38

163 posts
More
Wonderful dude... this helps a lot for frequent "flashers"
2nd November 2010, 06:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Indy

266 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by androgiallo

nice work....
pls post apk files here thx man

androgiallo, you are very welcome! I've got some minor tweaks that I'm working on, so I'm hoping to keep using the Market's ability to let people know about updates (it got a little cumbersome w/publishing the older versions of the app in different threads, etc., lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo.Collin

Wonderful dude... this helps a lot for frequent "flashers"

Neo.Collin, thank you for the kinds words and feedback--I very much appreciate it. I know there's a lot of frequent flashers () out that should be checking their downloaded ROMs and such...peace of mind, you know?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions and/or ideas for future improvements. Thanks!
24th January 2011, 01:09 AM   |  #5  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Indy

266 posts
More
v1.2 just uploaded to the Market
All,

Been awhile since I've updated this app and it was long overdue. Mostly minor fixes and updates. No real core functions changed other than upgrade the early (noobie-coded ) menu settings to the more professional and standard preferences and settings menu.

I've also made some changes that should eliminate any FCs you were getting (most related to orientation changes, I believe). I'll get the orientation handling properly done in a future version.

If you get any FCs, please email me at scary.alien@gmail.com and let me know the circumstances so I can make a fix (the crash reports don't often tell the whole story).

Here's the change log for v1.2:

version 1.2 - 23-Jan-2011:

- supported standard preferences / settings menu instead of individual menu items

- added SD card mounted check before allowing file selection

- added two methods for comparing MD5 or SHA1 checksums:

* auto-comparison of calculated checksums w/menu option to display comparison results

* manual input of checksum (or paste from clipboard) value to be compared w/next calculated checksum

- changed default sort order of file / directory names to ignore case

- added option to toggle ignoring of case when sorting file / directory names

- force all screens to portrait orientation to fix/prevent FCs (future version will handle orientation changes correctly)

Thanks again for using my app and for your support. As always, email me or post-up here for any comments, questions, issues, or suggestions.

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to scary alien For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th January 2011, 01:37 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

224 posts
Hey, great app. Not sure if I missed this feature, but it would be cool to copy paste a md5 before your app verifies the selected file, and simply says if it matches or not
24th January 2011, 02:34 AM   |  #7  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Indy

266 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by titans808

Hey, great app. Not sure if I missed this feature, but it would be cool to copy paste a md5 before your app verifies the selected file, and simply says if it matches or not

You are most welcome, thank you for the comments.

As a matter of fact, you can do this in this (new v1.2) version:

1. Press menu key
2. Select Preferences / Settings
3. Select Input Checksum (in the MD5 / SHA1 Comparison middle section)
4. Type (lol) or (more likely ) paste the checksum to be compared
5. Press back key to return to the main screen
6. Select your file and long-press the filename and select the appropriate checksum operation
7. After the checksum is computed, you'll get a pop-up indicating the status of the comparison of the newly-calculated checksum with the one you inputted in the menu

You can also check the Display Comparison Info checkbox to have the app display a pop-up message regarding the checksum comparison of the last two MD5 or SHA1 checksum comparisons that you perform. This would be helpful for checking two file successively.

Cheers and thanks again!
26th January 2011, 02:37 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 5

224 posts
No, thank you, you did a great job of making a multifunctional app. Job well done

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App
The Following User Says Thank You to titans808 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd February 2011, 12:12 AM   |  #9  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Indy

266 posts
More
v1.3 just published to the Market
All,

Just released version 1.3 to the Market. Nothing major--just some more things on the to-do list that I finally figured-out how to do.

version 1.3 - 2-Feb-2011:

- now supports SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384, and SHA-512 digest/checksum algorithms (along with the MD5 and SHA1 algorithms, these appear to be all functions that the MessageDigest API supports)

- will now also display checksum results in a pop-up to ensure viewing checksum results on all phones

- keep screen on while progress-bar is displayed in long-running calculations

- directory name is now remembered from last file selection

- added help menu function for file selection screen

Thanks and hope these changes are useful.

Cheers!
8th April 2011, 03:07 AM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Indy

266 posts
More
v1.4 of AFV (Android File Verifier) just uploaded
All,

I just uploaded my newest version of AFV to the Android Market.

Been working on this one for a while (sorry it took so long ).

Thanks again to bftb0 for suggesting the "launch / send" from other apps idea .

Hope you enjoy it!

Here's the change log:

version 1.4 - 7-Apr-2011:

- display elapsed time for long-running operations

- allow app to be invoked from other applications (tested with Astro File Manager, Estrongs File Explorer, OI File Manager); use the "Send" function

- added donate button (donate version of app will be published soon)

- added 'md5sum -c Type Check' function for .md5 files (equivalent to 'Verify Nandroid Backup') to make it clear that functionality exists for non-Nandroid
.md5 files too

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
afv, jar verify, md5, nandroid verify, sha1
Previous Thread Next Thread