Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,760 Members 48,516 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

Tip us?

andrewilley
Old
(Last edited by andrewilley; 6th November 2010 at 10:59 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
Default [DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

I know there are plenty of threads about G2 hinge issues, but I'd like to know about your Desire-Z keyboard hinges now that it has shipped.

I've just received my second Desire-Z this morning and it's probably worse than the first one. If pick up the phone, absolutely horizontal, from a table just by holding the upper section, the keyboard just falls half-open. Surely it shouldn't be like this? Here's a quick youtube video I took of my first phone:

Just wondering if I've been really unlucky, or are they basically all like this? I really hope not...

Andre
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 32GB (Stock ROM/kernel; rooted ; Nova Launcher) 64GB SDHC card
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Wi-Fi, 32GB (Infamous AOKP JB 4.2.2 ROM; Nova Launcher)

Previous:
Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB; 32GB SD card
HTC Desire Z 16MB SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario III 8GB Sandisk SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario

p3eps
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Mine does exactly the same. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I'm not very happy with it.
My other concern is that the screen wobbles back and forth when I have the phone closed if I tap on the left and right edges.

I think this is probably a design flaw rather than a specific device problem. You'll probably find they're all the same

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

LickTheEnvelope
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cant quite tell what the angle is in the video.

If I pick up mine by just the top piece then it droops, but doesn't slide out.

If I hold it upside-down by the base it droops, but can't slide.

Whenever I pick up the phone though I hold it by the base, so in normal use it's perfectly fine.

andrewilley
Old
(Last edited by andrewilley; 6th November 2010 at 11:54 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 114
I'm basically assuming that the spring should be just strong enough for the phone to hold itself together (i.e. without the keyboard dropping away at all) when it is gently lifted up from a flat surface. That's the benchmark I would want to see anyway, and neither of mine will do that.

I might take this up with HTC and see what their view on it is - I just hope they don't do an Apple and patronisingly say "you're holding it the wrong way".

Andre
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 32GB (Stock ROM/kernel; rooted ; Nova Launcher) 64GB SDHC card
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Wi-Fi, 32GB (Infamous AOKP JB 4.2.2 ROM; Nova Launcher)

Previous:
Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB; 32GB SD card
HTC Desire Z 16MB SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario III 8GB Sandisk SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario

p3eps
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've just sent off an email to superEtrader asking for a refund as I'm not happy.
I hope they take it back without any hassle since their website says I can't return it if its been opened. Someone on here kindly pointed out the Distance Selling Regulations say I can open it and play with it (I have the PDF stored on my PC!), but I don't want to have that sort of hassle.

mk27
Old
Thanks Meter 0
my phone has the same problem as the video.

Also, the screen slides down when im lying down, holding the phone by the keyboard.
Device History
---------------------
XDA II, SPV M700 (HTC Trinity), HTC Touch Diamond, HTC Desire Z
Current: Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000)

- WM6 - [APP-DEV] RCAgent
- Android - RTResolver

john boot
Old
Thanks Meter 2
My phone isnt quite a loose as in the video, but it does droop if I pick it up by the top section rather than the base & also if I am lying down and hold by keyboard it will start to shut... I kinda expected to have a loose hinge based on reviews that I had seen for G2 & at this point its only a very minor niggle, so I wont do any return until I find out there are Desire Zs out there that actually have a firm hinge.

On another note, I noticed yesterday that the black backing of the keyboard is a bit bubbly.. Im hoping that the backing wont start coming away down the road... but I guess only time will tell.

schriss
Old
Thanks Meter 101
I found it hard to do what was shown on video, I never grabbed phone like this before. It never opened on its own even slightly. Also owned TP2 and never held it by the screen. I dont think people would actually ever hold it like that.
No offense to anyone, I just dont see any issues with my hinge. I know it opens when I hold it like on video or upside down, but If I havent read some posts, I would never try it.
This is just my personal opinion on the "hinges"
HTC One
Previous: Asus Padfone 2, HTC One X, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy S II, HTC Desire Z, HTC Touch Pro2, i-Mate Ultimate 9502, iPhone 3G
JupiterDroid Old
Thanks Meter 0
The design is for the way we hold and use our phones.. I feel for you bro, but noone holds their phone at the angle your showing this at..

I have had no problem at all yet with the everyday use of this beast)

JD

daft.71
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Honestly, at first it bothered, but really, it really starts to make sense for me now how it acts. If our hinge would be stronger, it'd be more difficult to open it and might have us actually break it.

Also, when I hold it while typing, I instinctively put my index fingers along the side of the keyboard/screen (once it is opened) and type with my thumbs. That way, it's impossible for the screen to fold back in closed position.

When I pick up my phone, I really don't pick it up by only one of the parts (screen/base). It's actually quite heavy at 180g and if I don't want to drop it, I rather pick up nicely and firmly.

So, really, after 4 days with my phone, the thing that bothers me more now isn't the screen, but the weight difference between my old Samsung Galaxy S (with gel back) and the Z.

Actually, funny anecdote, while playing Angry Birds, I actually opened the keyboard so I had a better grip on the phone.

Tags
htc desire z hinge