Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,888 Members 36,738 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

Tip us?

alexinc
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexinc View Post
believe me, really stiff!!! i'll get my second one today in the shop and i'm really excited if it will match their sample-unit. the hinge is really snapping on that one, no sign of getting loose anytime soon. i mean daily 100 people playing with this unit...
ok, my final statement: got my new phone with same hinge-condition! that one in store became as loose as my other two... so my conclusion sooner or later we'll all face the same hinge for sure! btw. didnt know there were different sdcards i'm sandisk class 4 at least!
Device:
Google Nexus 4
HTC Vision aka Desire Z
HTC Touch Cruise aka Polaris aka Orbit2

ddotpatel
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Shizzle,.... class 4 card supplied,... floppy hinge!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
Favourite Useful Links,...
BTDAG's [Guide] Complete Newbie Guide to Install a Custom Rom & Newbie FaQ
PHAELOX's [HOW TO] Make your own bootscreen and create signed zip
Some useful info from BONESY on adding apps to a base ROM here --> How to create "update.zip" for integrate apps?

Past to present,... Nokia 3330, 6120, 6820, 6600, 6630, N80, N73, 5800
Never again,... Now,... HTC HERO BABY!!!

red_forman
Old
(Last edited by red_forman; 30th November 2010 at 02:28 AM.) Reason: ediorial corrections
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcro View Post
In this video it is explained how the hinge works. It answers on all of my questions.
EDIT: I had to remove the link, as I have just registered and can't post external links. It lead to the YouTube video in italian, explaining how the hinge works and showing some experiments with "every day use". The address is:
Code:
www (dot) youtube (dot) com/watch?v=IdHiLZlOnHY
I really like this video and it might actually make sense.

My feeling is, that the hinge was really intended to be loose. I think the tight hinges will become loose quite fast, because that's how they're supposed to be in the first place. So don't get used to them too much or you will be disappointed and you will feel like the quality of the phone is degrading.

You might agree with the idea of the designer, or not. You can either accept the loose hinges or look for a different phone. But looking for tight hinges seems like a waste of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexinc View Post
ok, my final statement: got my new phone with same hinge-condition! that one in store became as loose as my other two... so my conclusion sooner or later we'll all face the same hinge for sure! btw. didnt know there were different sdcards i'm sandisk class 4 at least!
And this would actually support my theory.

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,427

DONATE TO ME
Please from now on, if your posting to say if your hinge is loose please also confirm what class sd card came with your phone.

It will either be a scandisc class 4 or a samsung class 2 (as far as I know)
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

Guide to Unroot LG G3 for OTA
Chromecast System UI Crash Fix

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: LG G3, Google LG Nexus 5, Chromecast, Acer C720 Chromebook
Retired: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7 Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

Amanha
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Mine came with a Samsung Class2 (UK one). And its loose...The one on display in the shop was niceley tight!...il put a video on later. Il see what HTC Have to say about it. Its a 405 phone..why make the hinges rubbish when the rest of the phone is so perfect? Id pay a good 50 for GOOD HINGES.

setspeed
Old
Thanks Meter 135
I ordered my Z from Amazon UK last friday, arrived saturday.
My hinge is very firm, i can lean it over approx 30 degrees before it closes on me. My sdcard is an 8GB class 4 Sandisk.

Sent from my 'Zed, overclocked to 1.2ghz
--------------------------------------
POSSIBLY MY NEXT
Moto X+1

CURRENT
Phone :: Google Nexus 5
ROM :: Mahdi-ROM 2.7
Kernel: ElementalX

RETIRED / SOLD / STOPPED WORKING
Phone :: Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire, TMobile G1

BRIEFLY FLIRTED WITH
Phone :: Google Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy S i9000, Google Nexus 1

Niiceg
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Samsung sd 2class, it's loose as hell...

tbalden
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6,428

DONATE TO ME
Then the theory has been dissolved. Later shipments can be just as loose with any class of mem card..also stiff ones can be come loose..by design. (?) That said i love loose hinge.

-- sent from htc z using xda app
htc one teaMSeven Sense/GPe Android 4.4 with Flick2Wake/Pick2Wake kernels here
Donate to me!

VirtuousROM member
Twitter @illespal http://twitter.com/illespal
gplus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/104117834086133689848/posts

Amanha
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Yep, Mine was stiff when it came, 24 hours later - medium loose, then another 24hrs later...its proper loose. HTC doesnt get back to me about the issue, suppose the only thing that can be done is get a replacement, if that hinge goes, then get the Desire HD (So, 80 on top) - I wonder if Carphone Warehouse will allow me to do that

sauron0101
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Out of curiosity (and I own the Epic), has anyone had a hinge break? I really think that HTC should have gone with a conventional slider or something like the TouchPro 2. I really would miss the 5-row keyboard 2, although the buttons are better on this phone.

Tags
htc desire z hinge