Fight the Heat and Conserve Battery with EaseUS Coolphone

Memory hungry Android applications are often responsible for making our device … more

Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

OP andrewilley

29th November 2010, 09:04 PM   |  #101  
Thanks Meter: 17

423 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexinc

believe me, really stiff!!! i'll get my second one today in the shop and i'm really excited if it will match their sample-unit. the hinge is really snapping on that one, no sign of getting loose anytime soon. i mean daily 100 people playing with this unit...

ok, my final statement: got my new phone with same hinge-condition! that one in store became as loose as my other two... so my conclusion sooner or later we'll all face the same hinge for sure! btw. didnt know there were different sdcards i'm sandisk class 4 at least!
29th November 2010, 09:13 PM   |  #102  
Flag Leeds, UK
Thanks Meter: 7

1,161 posts
More
Shizzle,.... class 4 card supplied,... floppy hinge!

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
30th November 2010, 03:18 AM   |  #103  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Lightbulb
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrcro

In this video it is explained how the hinge works. It answers on all of my questions.

EDIT: I had to remove the link, as I have just registered and can't post external links. It lead to the YouTube video in italian, explaining how the hinge works and showing some experiments with "every day use". The address is:
Code:
www (dot) youtube (dot) com/watch?v=IdHiLZlOnHY
I really like this video and it might actually make sense.

My feeling is, that the hinge was really intended to be loose. I think the tight hinges will become loose quite fast, because that's how they're supposed to be in the first place. So don't get used to them too much or you will be disappointed and you will feel like the quality of the phone is degrading.

You might agree with the idea of the designer, or not. You can either accept the loose hinges or look for a different phone. But looking for tight hinges seems like a waste of time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexinc

ok, my final statement: got my new phone with same hinge-condition! that one in store became as loose as my other two... so my conclusion sooner or later we'll all face the same hinge for sure! btw. didnt know there were different sdcards i'm sandisk class 4 at least!

And this would actually support my theory.
Last edited by red_forman; 30th November 2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: ediorial corrections
30th November 2010, 10:19 AM   |  #104  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,644

6,071 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please from now on, if your posting to say if your hinge is loose please also confirm what class sd card came with your phone.

It will either be a scandisc class 4 or a samsung class 2 (as far as I know)
30th November 2010, 08:54 PM   |  #105  
Thanks Meter: 13

45 posts
Mine came with a Samsung Class2 (UK one). And its loose...The one on display in the shop was niceley tight!...il put a video on later. Il see what HTC Have to say about it. Its a 405 phone..why make the hinges rubbish when the rest of the phone is so perfect? Id pay a good 50 for GOOD HINGES.
1st December 2010, 01:23 PM   |  #106  
Thanks Meter: 142

977 posts
More
I ordered my Z from Amazon UK last friday, arrived saturday.
My hinge is very firm, i can lean it over approx 30 degrees before it closes on me. My sdcard is an 8GB class 4 Sandisk.

Sent from my 'Zed, overclocked to 1.2ghz
1st December 2010, 07:00 PM   |  #107  
Flag Kaunas
Thanks Meter: 10

240 posts
More
Samsung sd 2class, it's loose as hell...
1st December 2010, 07:49 PM   |  #108  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,437

3,912 posts
Donate to Me
More
Then the theory has been dissolved. Later shipments can be just as loose with any class of mem card..also stiff ones can be come loose..by design. (?) That said i love loose hinge.

-- sent from htc z using xda app
2nd December 2010, 08:00 AM   |  #109  
Thanks Meter: 13

45 posts
Yep, Mine was stiff when it came, 24 hours later - medium loose, then another 24hrs later...its proper loose. HTC doesnt get back to me about the issue, suppose the only thing that can be done is get a replacement, if that hinge goes, then get the Desire HD (So, 80 on top) - I wonder if Carphone Warehouse will allow me to do that
5th December 2010, 05:06 AM   |  #110  
Flag Ontario
Thanks Meter: 24

337 posts
More
Out of curiosity (and I own the Epic), has anyone had a hinge break? I really think that HTC should have gone with a conventional slider or something like the TouchPro 2. I really would miss the 5-row keyboard 2, although the buttons are better on this phone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc desire z hinge
Previous Thread Next Thread