Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

OP andrewilley

27th November 2010, 01:33 PM   |  #81  
Flag Kuala Lumpur
Thanks Meter: 6

37 posts
More
Damn, watched the video and I thought it was a horror show. But that alone shows its quite capable of handling such abuse no?

Why the complains? I don't see it as much of an issue unless you are so used to ultra stiff sliders. Yes the annoying feeling of being loose is there, but its not like its going to break no?

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using Tapatalk
28th November 2010, 10:12 AM   |  #82  
Thanks Meter: 13

45 posts
Got my Desire Z yesterday at 930am. Opened up at 12. Used for about 4 hours - Keyboard opened about 8 times in the most gentle way. And its not super loose, just loose enough to get annoying. If i hold the phone screen down, the keyboard comes out. if its held at 45, it needs a tiny nudge to open. The phone is less than 24hrs old..When I first opened it, It was perfectly tight. Now, Its annoying. If the keyboard is annoying now, then wont it just be fluid one day soon?
28th November 2010, 10:32 AM   |  #83  
Flag Penguin land,way up north.
Thanks Meter: 1,186

1,218 posts
Donate to Me
My first HZ had very loose hinges (so i bricked it) Now comes my new HZ on Monday or Tuesday wondering how the hinges are on it?
29th November 2010, 12:16 PM   |  #84  
Thanks Meter: 15

165 posts
Damn, I have serious problems with the hinge of my (german) Desire Z. The screen will drop and close itself if I just lean the phone slightly towards myself. Even at angles of only 70-80 degrees the screen will drop. I couldn't even think of 45 degrees.

Until I received the phone last friday I always thought that the hinge issue would be hypothetical. Damn.

The phone will be sent back today.
29th November 2010, 12:22 PM   |  #85  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,655

6,091 posts
Donate to Me
More
You are all forgetting this is not a real issue, its just the way this phone has been designed, if you want a phone where the keyboard locks out and in then you need to go get a Moto MileStone2.

The hinge on the Z was never designed to lock into place, the phone was not designed to be used while laying on your back, or upside down or any other situation your all saying your screen closes.
29th November 2010, 02:21 PM   |  #86  
Thanks Meter: 17

426 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk

You are all forgetting this is not a real issue, its just the way this phone has been designed, if you want a phone where the keyboard locks out and in then you need to go get a Moto MileStone2.

The hinge on the Z was never designed to lock into place, the phone was not designed to be used while laying on your back, or upside down or any other situation your all saying your screen closes.

sorry to say, but you're wrong! before i unboxed mine, i had played with the one in local store and the difference between both is massive... so its designed to work in a better way than mine does now. you're right saying its no real issue in terms of functionality, but if you know a better build quality, you'll always want that one on your own too...
29th November 2010, 02:21 PM   |  #87  
Thanks Meter: 15

165 posts
Well, there are users who don't face this issue. This has been reported on several fora and you'll find youtube videos as well.

Obviously the spread within the production is pretty large and the firmness of the hinges varies a lot. I will try to get a model with a firm hinge, otherwise I'd have to back off the Desire Z.
29th November 2010, 02:45 PM   |  #88  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 6,439

3,912 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksman

Well, there are users who don't face this issue. This has been reported on several fora and you'll find youtube videos as well.

Obviously the spread within the production is pretty large and the firmness of the hinges varies a lot. I will try to get a model with a firm hinge, otherwise I'd have to back off the Desire Z.

any links to the FIRM HINGE version video? i would be really interested to see one, it seems a lot of video of the loose... I have one with quite loose and i love it how easily it opens, still im curious how a stiff one holds...
29th November 2010, 03:02 PM   |  #89  
Thanks Meter: 17

426 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalden

any links to the FIRM HINGE version video? i would be really interested to see one, it seems a lot of video of the loose... I have one with quite loose and i love it how easily it opens, still im curious how a stiff one holds...

believe me, really stiff!!! i'll get my second one today in the shop and i'm really excited if it will match their sample-unit. the hinge is really snapping on that one, no sign of getting loose anytime soon. i mean daily 100 people playing with this unit...
29th November 2010, 03:13 PM   |  #90  
Recognized Developer
Flag Essex, England
Thanks Meter: 1,655

6,091 posts
Donate to Me
More
Mine is firm, but I can't record myself.

I still see it as a non-issue, some people are just lucky. Maybe all your with a class 4 card have a bad hinge, everyone with a class 2 had a good hinge

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
htc desire z hinge
Previous Thread Next Thread