5,596,128 Members 33,402 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION] The Desire-Z keyboard hinge thread - how loose is yours?

Tip us?

Calex93
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Damn, watched the video and I thought it was a horror show. But that alone shows its quite capable of handling such abuse no?

Why the complains? I don't see it as much of an issue unless you are so used to ultra stiff sliders. Yes the annoying feeling of being loose is there, but its not like its going to break no?

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using Tapatalk

Amanha
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Got my Desire Z yesterday at 930am. Opened up at 12. Used for about 4 hours - Keyboard opened about 8 times in the most gentle way. And its not super loose, just loose enough to get annoying. If i hold the phone screen down, the keyboard comes out. if its held at 45, it needs a tiny nudge to open. The phone is less than 24hrs old..When I first opened it, It was perfectly tight. Now, Its annoying. If the keyboard is annoying now, then wont it just be fluid one day soon?

stian230
Old
Thanks Meter 1183

DONATE TO ME
My first HZ had very loose hinges (so i bricked it) Now comes my new HZ on Monday or Tuesday wondering how the hinges are on it?
Nexus 5 White 32g
Samsung galaxy S 4
samsung GALAXY SIII Lte I9305
Htc one X
samsung Galaxy S2
Htc vision x 2

Nexus one
Htc Magic x 2
Htc Diamond
Sony ericsson p1i
Htc TyTN II
Sony ericsson p800
Qtek 9000
Qtek 9090

Becksman
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Damn, I have serious problems with the hinge of my (german) Desire Z. The screen will drop and close itself if I just lean the phone slightly towards myself. Even at angles of only 70-80 degrees the screen will drop. I couldn't even think of 45 degrees.

Until I received the phone last friday I always thought that the hinge issue would be hypothetical. Damn.

The phone will be sent back today.

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1220

DONATE TO ME
You are all forgetting this is not a real issue, its just the way this phone has been designed, if you want a phone where the keyboard locks out and in then you need to go get a Moto MileStone2.

The hinge on the Z was never designed to lock into place, the phone was not designed to be used while laying on your back, or upside down or any other situation your all saying your screen closes.
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

HTC One
How to flash a firmware.zip? Thanks Makbil
How to find your product type i.e. M7_U or M7_UL?
Why has my files moved from /data/media to /data/media/0/?
UID Error? - Delete the Quadrant directory from /data/data and/or check /data/system/uiderrors.txt

Mods
Camera v5.1.620655 for Modaco.SWITCH - https://copy.com/VD4qKYFHM6F0
Fix for Google+ Locations Grey Map Issue

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

alexinc
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennyuk View Post
You are all forgetting this is not a real issue, its just the way this phone has been designed, if you want a phone where the keyboard locks out and in then you need to go get a Moto MileStone2.

The hinge on the Z was never designed to lock into place, the phone was not designed to be used while laying on your back, or upside down or any other situation your all saying your screen closes.
sorry to say, but you're wrong! before i unboxed mine, i had played with the one in local store and the difference between both is massive... so its designed to work in a better way than mine does now. you're right saying its no real issue in terms of functionality, but if you know a better build quality, you'll always want that one on your own too...
Device:
Google Nexus 4
HTC Vision aka Desire Z
HTC Touch Cruise aka Polaris aka Orbit2

Becksman
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Well, there are users who don't face this issue. This has been reported on several fora and you'll find youtube videos as well.

Obviously the spread within the production is pretty large and the firmness of the hinges varies a lot. I will try to get a model with a firm hinge, otherwise I'd have to back off the Desire Z.

tbalden
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 6351

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksman View Post
Well, there are users who don't face this issue. This has been reported on several fora and you'll find youtube videos as well.

Obviously the spread within the production is pretty large and the firmness of the hinges varies a lot. I will try to get a model with a firm hinge, otherwise I'd have to back off the Desire Z.
any links to the FIRM HINGE version video? i would be really interested to see one, it seems a lot of video of the loose... I have one with quite loose and i love it how easily it opens, still im curious how a stiff one holds...

alexinc
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalden View Post
any links to the FIRM HINGE version video? i would be really interested to see one, it seems a lot of video of the loose... I have one with quite loose and i love it how easily it opens, still im curious how a stiff one holds...
believe me, really stiff!!! i'll get my second one today in the shop and i'm really excited if it will match their sample-unit. the hinge is really snapping on that one, no sign of getting loose anytime soon. i mean daily 100 people playing with this unit...
Device:
Google Nexus 4
HTC Vision aka Desire Z
HTC Touch Cruise aka Polaris aka Orbit2

Lennyuk
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1220

DONATE TO ME
Mine is firm, but I can't record myself.

I still see it as a non-issue, some people are just lucky. Maybe all your with a class 4 card have a bad hinge, everyone with a class 2 had a good hinge
I am some sort of dev and a writer for LandofDroid. I am also a member of HTC Elevate. Was a member of the now defunct "Team Villain" aka VillainRom.

HTC One
How to flash a firmware.zip? Thanks Makbil
How to find your product type i.e. M7_U or M7_UL?
Why has my files moved from /data/media to /data/media/0/?
UID Error? - Delete the Quadrant directory from /data/data and/or check /data/system/uiderrors.txt

Mods
Camera v5.1.620655 for Modaco.SWITCH - https://copy.com/VD4qKYFHM6F0
Fix for Google+ Locations Grey Map Issue

http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic2315688_1.gif

Device info:

Current: HTC One, Google LG Nexus 4, Google Asus Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Galaxy Note II Samsung Galaxy S III, Advent Vega (Tablet), Samsung Galaxy S II, Samsung Galaxy S, HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, HTC Desire, HTC Hero

www.lennyuk.co.uk
Twitter | Google+
Like what I do? help me have a coffee<----- This is a link

Tags
htc desire z hinge