Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,072 Members 45,763 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Just for Vibrant user's, How many switched and why?

Tip us?

30Glock
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Talking Just for Vibrant user's, How many switched and why?

Just curious to know why you gave up on the Vibrant?
SG3

JWhipple
Old
(Last edited by JWhipple; 7th November 2010 at 12:09 AM.) Reason: Added more..
Thanks Meter 87

DONATE TO ME
I bought the Vibrant on launch day - LOVED IT....

Then.... the GPS problems started... and seemed to get worse over time, to the point where the phone was rebooting itself when I used the GPS for more than just a few minutes (regardless of the app).

I updated to JI6 when it was released by Samsung since it was supposed to fix the issues, or at least make them a little better. HA! I used GPS that night on the way home, had a strong GPS lock... I was about half way home and looked down and it showed me in the middle of a river. What was truely laughable was that it was saying accurate to within 30 feet - and ever better was that the river it showed me in the middle of was over a mile away!

I swapped the Vibrant for a Nexus One, but after having seen the performance of the MT4G and the fact that everything I ever had rooted for before on other phones was right there ready to go stock-out-of-the-box on the MyTouch, I made the leap.

Something else that sold me - the screen. I can actually read the screen in sunlight better than I could the Nexus... Sure, the Vibrant was a little better in that area than the Nexus, but still not as good as this.

Oh yes - the front facing camera was a selling point as well. A lot of my friends (I say that term loosely since I dont like being associated with crApple fans!) have iphones and use video chat a lot via Tango - I just wanted to be part of the crowd without further lining Job's pockets and no way in hell was I going to AT&T.

Mftek1
Old
Thanks Meter 28

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Glock View Post
Just curious to know why you gave up on the Vibrant?
Led notifications, ffc, samsung, and one of the main reasons... The horrible plastic feel

kamasi36
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Sam****ty, need I say more? Hardware not in sync with software does no good at all. Myt4G= Latest operating system, better processor/hardware, ffc, desk clock(best), FM radio, Sense (Love it) pinch to zoom email, best browser, better gaming, Genius button, no lag, less expensive,wifi calling, More ram (768), best battery to date, everything just works and is included. Unlike the predecessors, no need for make-shifts to get the stuff we want. It is more of a complete package then any Android phone to date.
HTC Nexus One CM7
HTC EVO MYN RLS5
XOOM 3G oc1.5Ghz Coolbho3000
Canyon Country, CA.

waiaung1
Old
(Last edited by waiaung1; 7th November 2010 at 01:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 4
I'm gonna keep using both but the mytouch is the superior phone. For me, the overall function of the mytouch is the reason. There are some things that the vibrant does do better though - 1. The samoled on the vibrant is definitely better (I love the true blacks and contrast ratio on this thing) 2. The speakers are also noticeably better with richer and fuller sound 3. The GPU is also more capable 4. Audio quality for media is better (mytouch and HTC phones in general have too much bass and not enough detail) 5. The camera while lacking flash is more capable 5. The multitouch, responsiveness, and feel of the screen is better 6. And the last thing is the notification bar is the best I've seen on an Android phone (the ability to have those toggle settings, change brightness by swiping, and change music tracks are amazing). Everything else, the mytouch does better. 1) GPS is much better 2) Solid feel while the vibrant felt plastic and creaked 3)FFC 3. Camera flash 4. Froyo 5. Optical trackpad 6. Much better battery life 7. The user experience is buttery smooth with little or no lag on this thing 8. The notification led
Wow sorry for the essay guys, got a little carried away haha.

JWhipple
Old
Thanks Meter 87

DONATE TO ME
When you say the plastic creaked, were you handling the white one? Only the white one has all that plastic - the rest have hard rubber - no creaking involved!

waiaung1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhipple View Post
When you say the plastic creaked, were you handling the white one? Only the white one has all that plastic - the rest have hard rubber - no creaking involved!
My bad man, I meant the vibrant felt plastic and creaked. I fixed it in my post. I have the black mytouch, feels really good with the rubberized plastic. You're right though, only the white has the plastic (main reason I chose the black over white, the other being a three-toned color setup for white which looks funny IMO).

SE7EN-
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I jumped ship tonight aswell. Main reason for me is because I love the widgets and the fact that I have a notification light after months of torture.

ryan562
Old
Thanks Meter 63
just picked up the mytouch 4g in plum color last night. will need to use this device for at least a few weeks to gauge whether i want to sell my vibrant or not. since i have two phone lines, as one phone is for my job, i will probably end up keeping both and just sell my hd2.

my opinion as it stands now, towards the vibrant, is that the vibrant can be the best android phone available if and when samsung fixes all the issues on the upcoming froyo 2.2 update. i.e., laggy rfs file system and persistent problems with gps even after the ji6 update.
Samsung Galaxy Note n7000
ClockworkMod-Based Recovery
Criskelo's ICS Touchwiz Rom v3
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
LPY Kernel

Apple iPad (3rd Gen)

Asus Transformer Prime Tablet
ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
Virtuous Prime Rom S Series 9.4.2.15 v1

http://www.youtube.com/boloe562

floepie
Old
Thanks Meter 341
I used the Vibrant from the first week's release. The Vibrant screen is way overrated. Sure, the blacks looks a thought they've been painted on the screen, but that's really how far I would go with its advantages. Readability on the MT4G is vastly better. And, the thing that made the Vibrant terrible was its color reproduction. White were blueish, and because the white balance was so off, all other colors were just completely off. This phone can show true whites. Another subtlety is the fact that varying brightness levels is oh so much smoother on the mt4g. You can't achieve that yet with SAMOLED, as brightness levels would go up or down in stages. I found it a little distracting.