Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,576 Members 43,886 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] USB Internet passthrough from Linux

Tip us?

Learnincurve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Default [Q] USB Internet passthrough from Linux

Hi, I've googled and searched the forum for this and can't find anything that works for the Desire HD.

The phone comes with an option to use the PC's internet connection through the usb interface. When I enable this on the phone the usb0 interface pops up on the computer. I've tried various bridging and natting alternatives, but everything ends up with the phone complaining that htc sync isn't set up right. I've tried askimng HTC what the phone expects but they just say that they don't support Linux. Grrr!

Anybody succeeded in getting this working or can say exactly what the phone expects to see on the pc side?

phunkycow
Old
Thanks Meter 350
I thought it was the other way around (PC using the phone's connection) ?

Edit: Link.

Learnincurve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Both are possible. PC using phone's connection is called "Tethering" and Phone using PC's connection is called "Internet passthrough".

There are recipes for foolong a "Nexus One" into reversing the tethering solution so that it connects to the internet through the PC, but the HD seems to have blocked this.

We have a Wifi-Free home, so this really is the only way of connecting the phone to the internet without using valuable 3G data traffic.

phunkycow
Old
Thanks Meter 350
Apologies, I didn't know.
I took a look around, maybe you've tried this already but here it is (scroll down to post #53). Good luck!

Learnincurve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks. Looks promising. From Post #53 it looks as if I should be able to do this from adb, although earlier posts in the thread mention busybox and root, neither of which I have on the phone. Have in any case not used adb to connect before so may ask for help here if I can't find out how to do it.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

phunkycow
Old
Thanks Meter 350
For root you can search for the app "Visionary" in the market, I'm not sure if it installs busybox too though (but you can find that in the market as well).
Also make sure you have USB Debugging enabled in the settings.

You're most probably going to need the ADB drivers as well, but i think they're shipped with HTC Sync. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Learnincurve
Old
(Last edited by Learnincurve; 8th November 2010 at 02:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Thanks, now have adb access (with root :). Next problem is that my linux box always assigns an APIPA (zeroconf) address to the usb interface. Can't remove it or specify a static IP for the next connection.

phunkycow
Old
Thanks Meter 350
Unfortunately I can't help you or suggest anything else for the time being. I'll be switching to Archlinux tonight (for the 150th time) and will hopefully have my device within this week. So if you don't figure it out by then, I'll give it a shot.

dr.m0x
Old
Thanks Meter 714
I think it can be done quite easily using the Firestarter application. Too busy playing Black Ops to confirm that the method I have in mind works but I will try it out later and if I'm right I will post a how to.

Learnincurve
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on phunkycow. The APIPA problem seems to be debian sid related. On my wife's Ubuntu laptop I can configure both interfaces and ping between the phone and the pc. Didn't have time to figure out routing and dns.

Tags
internet passthrough, network, reverse tethering, usb