[Q] Implement Theme in Rom

Tip us?

-WP7User-
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Question [Q] Implement Theme in Rom

Hello!
I'm trying to make my own Rom right now. With dsixda's Kitchen it isn't very hard to do so I thought I'd just give it a try. I'm taking a rooted official Update (Version: 2.10.405.2) as my base. Adding busybox runparts, the /data/app functionality, a2sd+, the custom bootanimation functionality etc. isn't a problem. Removing some apps like Maps, Facebook, Teeter (and so on) and adding some like Rom Manager, Neocore or Quadrant isn't a problem, too. But if I want to implement a theme like the Carbon Espresso Mod or a theme I made with the UOT Kitchen I'm getting bootloops at booting the phone. Here's what I do: I unzip the folder (for example a theme made with the UOT Kitchen) and I copy over the framework-res.apk from the unzipped folder to my Working Folder of the Kitchen (to system/framework) and I overwrite the original framework-res.apk.
And NO: I didn't choose a battery mod or a bootanimation in the UOT Kitchen....

Hope you guys can help me
Device: Sony Xperia Z C6603 black 16GB with 64GB Sandisk microSDXC card
Rom: NamelessROM
Recovery: TWRP

husker91
Old
Thanks Meter 388

DONATE TO ME
I might be wrong but doesn't the new file have to be signed? I know there is a signing option in the kitchen.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
If you guys like my work and feel the need to donate, you can do so using the button below. All donations go straight into husker91's "when I turn 21 beer fund" which just happens to be about a month away!! Thanks all!!

Evo 4g LTE Rejuvenated Stock Rom

zHk3R
Old
Thanks Meter 1426

DONATE TO ME
It's a system .apk so it doesn't have to be signed.
I can't shed any light on the subject, but here's a bump.

mbobino
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Are you replacing the whole "framework-res.apk" file? If so then you will need to resign your entire ROM. Why? When you change a system file ("framework-res.apk", "com.htc.framework.apk", "twframework-res", "rosie.apk", etc.) it no longer has a matching "signature" for all the files it serves images to. Plug your phone into your computer and open up "ddms" in your android_sdk > tools folder to watch what happens when the phone boots up.

A workaround (The way I do it, it's more fun IMHO) is to open up your .apk files in 7zip (or if you're on a mac BetterZip) and add the images from the themed .apk to your stock .apk. This way makes it so your original .apk has the same signature as your other system files yet has the new images from the other files that you wanted. I've had a lot of luck with this method. I don't know if it will still work if you change any .xml files as I have not messed with those yet.

I've subscribed to this thread so if you have any questions post back here or you can PM me if you want. I'm on XDA all day, every day so I'll try to help as much as I can.
HTC Droid DNA - Stock 2.04.605.2 710RD
HTC Flyer - Stock 3.55.1114.31
HTC Rezound - Infected Bobino
HTC Droid Incredible 2 - Paranoid Android

-WP7User-
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Thanks for all the answers! Especially to you, mbobino. Is there a way to sign the whole Rom new? When I make my Rom at the End, the Kitchen signs it automatically, doesn't it? The idea with the images is very good, but if I want to implement a theme like Carbon Espresso it isn't that easy, 'cause Carbon Espresso isn't just a few images. There are several .xml's etc.

HeyItsLou
Old
Thanks Meter 126

DONATE TO ME
The reason you boot loop is mis matched resource ID's in the public.xml file. If you decompile the framework using apktool after adding your images using an archiver then recompile apktool will update the public file for you which saves you from pulling ID''s for every image. I have a video tutorial of how to set up apktool and decompile framework in my Rom thread. Changing images in app apk's won't cause you to boot loop just messing with the framework will.

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

mbobino
Old
Thanks Meter 324

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiKamp View Post
Thanks for all the answers! Especially to you, mbobino. Is there a way to sign the whole Rom new? When I make my Rom at the End, the Kitchen signs it automatically, doesn't it? The idea with the images is very good, but if I want to implement a theme like Carbon Espresso it isn't that easy, 'cause Carbon Espresso isn't just a few images. There are several .xml's etc.
The kitchen signs the .zip that you flash when you build it. It does not sign any .apks for you on its own. However, there is an option to sign .apks within the kitchen.

In my opinion, taking all of the images and figuring out how it all works is fun. I feel like I've already learned quite a bit from just digging around and moving files around.

As for the .xml files, you can decompile the .apk and edit them and then recompile the .apk. I'm actually looking into this today. It sounds like some work but hopefully I'll get it figured out.
HTC Droid DNA - Stock 2.04.605.2 710RD
HTC Flyer - Stock 3.55.1114.31
HTC Rezound - Infected Bobino
HTC Droid Incredible 2 - Paranoid Android

-WP7User-
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
Sounds like fun indeed So, I'll just have to try it. Where can I find the "Settings" for the Notification Bar? Thanks

bestialbub
Old
Thanks Meter 33
The variois status*.xml files in the res/layout folder of the framework-res.apk and the status*.smali files in the services.jar.

-WP7User-
Old
(Last edited by -WP7User-; 14th November 2010 at 11:35 AM.) Reason: Thanks and question :D
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 32
What? If I want to implement a Theme made with the UOT Kitchen (without battery) I should just copy over those files to my existing res-framework.apk OR copy over the whole res-framework.apk (the new one) and sign it?
EDIT: Just tried it with a theme from the UOT Kitchen and it worked perfectly. I've just signed the res-framework.apk and the htc.com.resources.apk (or whatever) in the Kitchen, flashed it on my Phone and it just worked like a Charm. But I have got a 50% Transparent Notification Bar and all the system icons (Battery and time/date) are still black and not transparent! Has anyone got a idea where to change this? (.xml or whatever)...And does anyone know where I can find the HTC Wallpapers? I want to change them a little bit

Tags
cooking, implement, kitchen, problem, rom