[APP][1.5+][2013/03/09] Bluetooth GPS for Android : BlueGPS4Droid (version 1.2.6)
I have a bluetooth GPS that I used to use some years ago with a GPS navigation application on my windows mobile phone (HTC BlueAngel, then HTC Elf).
When I switched for an Android phone (HTC Magic, then Acer Liquid), I was strangely unable to use it. It wasn't a big issue for me since both phones have an internal GPS. However, recently I bought a Samsung S galaxy, which GPS is barely usable...
I've searched something for using my bluetooth GPS, but I haven't found any open source application.
So I've developed one:
- it' free,
- it's open-source (you can verify what it's really doing and you can improve it!),
- it just asks for needed permissions.
The application allows to use an external bluetooth GPS on Android devices:
The application starts a service, then connects to a Bluetooth device (NMEA GPS) and creates a mock GPS provider which can be used to replace the internal GPS.
It's also possible to log the external GPS NMEA data in a file on the device.
The app needs the following permissions:
- bluetooth and bluetooth admin (connection to the GPS device),
- location and mock location (replace the GPS location provider by a new one using the bluetooth GPS device),
- write external storage (if you want to log the NMEA data into a file on the sdcard).
It should run on all android devices (2.0 and above
) and NMEA bluetooth devices
(there is now also a special version for Cupcake and Donuts - see below).
I have tested it with a GlobalSat BT-338 bluetooth GPS (SiRF III), a Galaxy S (I9000) and a HTC Sapphire (Froyo CM-6).
It works with Google Maps, Wikitude, GoPenS and my own personal navigation app. It should work with all applications that use Android official location API.
Note: in order to install the app:
- enable Settings/Applications/Unknown sources,
- enable Settings/Applications/Development/Allow mock locations,
- download and install the apk.
Project page: Bluetooth GPS for Android on SourceForge
BlueGPS4Droid apk: BlueGps4Droid_1.2.6.apk
for Eclair or newer
BlueGPS4Cupcake apk: BlueGps4Cupcake_1.2.6.apk
special version only for Cupcake
User guide an review (thanks to Leszek Pawlowicz): http://androgeoid.com/2010/09/androi...s-for-android/
I want to thank Globalsat U.S. which, kindly, has sent me, free of charge, a USB GPS and a replacement for my old bluetooth GPS, in order to support this work.