I'm very happy with my purchase of the HTC Desire back in April this year, but have always thought battery life could be better and believe it should be the main aspect to improve with custom software.
I've read and experienced good things in regards to battery life with 2.29.405, so decided to make myself a ROM that's based entirely on it, with only removing applications I don't use, adding undervolt for even more battery saving and adding AP2SD which is essential due to the low internal memory.
I thought I would share it in case others may wish to try it out, I highly recommend the new radio.
With thanks to:
- Paul - for rooting the HTC Desire
- UnrEVOked - for making the above easier and finding ways around the new bootloaders
- IEF and co - for the S-OFF hboot
- Cyanogen - His Wiki on compiling all things Android and guides on how Android works
- Richardtrip & snq- - helped a lot with questions I've had
- Teppic74 - Getting me interested in ROM cooking, his modified AP2SD and scaling scripts
- iscaela - Undervolt driver
- dsixda - for the Kitchen
What you get:
- ROM based on 2.29.405 WWE RUU posted here
- Busybox (1.17.3)
- Init.d support
- NOT deodexed
- AP2SD+ via EXT partition (Supports EXT2 and 3)
- Read ahead value changed to 128, improves reading speed from the SDCard
- Undervolt driver with -100mV on all freq's (Hex edited to support the Kernel from the RUU)
- Moved hosts to /data to allow updating via AdFree Android application without the need to have S-OFF (do not use the symlink in AdFree Android)
- Perflock disabled (Hex edited to support the Kernel from the RUU)
- Updated applications
- - REM GSD
- If you do not have an EXT2 or 3 partition on your SDCard, create one before going onto step 2
- Copy the ROM .zip file to your SDCard
- Reboot into recovery
- If you've come from a different ROM, wipe data, ext, cache and dalvik-cache
- Flash the .zip file
- If you downloaded the ROM Editor script and wish to use it - do not reboot and proceed to step 7. Otherwise reboot as normal
- Extract the contents of the ROM-Editor.zip
- Run the ROM-Editor.bat file
- Select option 1
- Read the warning
- Follow the prompts on screen
- Once applications have been removed, press 3 to exit and reboot
- If you've not already installed the recommended Radio, reboot into recovery and install the radio
Recommended Radio - one that comes with the RUU
Addons (Attached to this post)
- Reduce Undervolt - Reduces undervolt from 100mv to 75mv, flash if you're experiencing stability issues.
- ROM Editor - Run ROMEditor.bat as administrator and follow the on screen instructions. Recommended to run after first flash.