Portland
there are a number of problems with the recovery in the just leaked
Froyo ROM.

1. signature checking
2. passing API version 3 to the updater binary
3. forced wipe after installing an update.zip

the attached zip has a 3e recovery modified to disable signature checking
report API version 2 for backwards compatibility with clockwork mod recovery
and disable the forced wipe after installing any update.

I don't know of any reason to run this version over 2e but it
might be useful to someone.

Installing:

1. turn on USB debugging
2. plug into computer
3. run script and follow on screen prompts.

UPDATED 01/23/2011

fixed path error when space in user name

UPDATED 01/22/2011

compressed the rageagainstthecage resource to prevent anti-virus detection

new anti-virus report
http://virscan.org/report/8e83f338fd7b8631c6b0bc0679efbd29.html

the /system file system is full on the newer ROM's
use the attached update.zip to root then install clockwork

Attachments

• 3e_recovery_installer.zip
    493.8 KB · Views: 55,906
  • update.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 44,806
Last edited:

untermensch

Apr 4, 2009
Portland
you cant flash this you will have to put the files on the internal sdcard
then use root explorer or adb to move the files into place, recovery goes to
/system/bin and the keys to /efs, update.zip is the clockwork recovery and
stays on the sdcard.

when you boot into recovery and choose re-install packages clockwork will
be able to do its thing.

I do like the sig verification but it's a PITA and may disable it, this is a temp
fix until I can finish hacking on recovery there is very little clues as to where
the functions are so it may be a few days.

forgot to mention to you also have to remount /system rw

mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system

Last edited:
Reactions: papermakesplanes

untermensch

Apr 4, 2009
Portland
Not to sound like a total noob, but what benefit does this have over the current 2e recovery?

I haven't tried just replacing 3e with 2e, I doubt there is any advantage to
3e, to us anyway. but it is always worth while to find ways around these
things.

EDIT:

just replacing 3e with 2e did not work cant find the update.zip

Last edited:

TJD319

Aug 15, 2010
Allentown
Im suprised more people havent commented. I downloaded the first Stock version of JK2 and i tether so redownloading is not really what i wanted to do...plus i have a Mac so Id have to borrow my buddys pc again...anyway

This workedvgreat! For thise who might need it:
Place all files on the root of SD internal memory card
Copy keys file to /efs
Copy recovery file to /system/bin/ (backup old on first)
Leave all other files on SD internal
Reboot into stock recovery and select Reinstall Packages
itll do its thing and reboot into stock recovery again. From there youre set...just select reinstall packages each time.

Youre a life saver...thank you sir!

Reactions: gagb1967

untermensch

Apr 4, 2009
Portland
Im suprised more people havent commented. I downloaded the first Stock version of JK2 and i tether so redownloading is not really what i wanted to do...plus i have a Mac so Id have to borrow my buddys pc again...anyway

Copy keys file to /efs
itll do its thing and reboot into stock recovery again. From there youre set...just select reinstall packages each time.

thanks...

just updated the first post with a new version.

whats new

Code:
dissables forced post install wipe, dissables signature checking, and reports
API version 2 for backwards compatability with clockwork mod recovery.

TJD319

Aug 15, 2010
Allentown
Thanks man i rreally appreciate this like i said before. Working perfect snd no issues. Loving being able to CWM again ha. Anyway thank you again sir keep it up!

ertjep

Sep 1, 2010

Copy keys file to /efs

Thanks untermensch for your work and thanks to the TJD319 for the clear step by step instructions.

ellopr

Jul 22, 2009
Getting can't mount partition after I select a zip file to flash. I can get to cwr fine and it sees the sdcard (internal) fine since I can navigate and select the file I want. The error comes when I try flash. All the files in the zip are in the root of the sd internal, except for recovery and keys that are in the directory /system/bin and /efs respectively. Any advice?

eugene373

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 11, 2009
eb-productions.proboards.com
thanks...

just updated the first post with a new version.

whats new

Code:
dissables forced post install wipe, dissables signature checking, and reports
API version 2 for backwards compatability with clockwork mod recovery.

I personally want to say Thanks for Working on this... I Honestly like this version better than the 2e due to being able to wipe the SD-card now..

Thanks for everything.

untermensch

Apr 4, 2009
Portland
I personally want to say Thanks for Working on this... I Honestly like this version better than the 2e due to being able to wipe the SD-card now..

Thanks for everything.

Thanks for the support Eugene....

updated the no sig check version again, too fix the issue that even though the key
is never used, recovery still looked for the existence of the file and would error out if not found.

Reactions: ndhr3d

TJD319

Aug 15, 2010
Allentown
Thanks for the support Eugene....

updated the no sig check version again, too fix the issue that even though the key
is never used, recovery still looked for the existence of the file and would error out if not found.

Yo man i really appreciate your work. Froyos been great to me Stock 2.2 and this is perfect man. Working flawlessly for me and Im just happy to be able to nandroid.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    there are a number of problems with the recovery in the just leaked
    Froyo ROM.

1. signature checking
    2. passing API version 3 to the updater binary
    3. forced wipe after installing an update.zip

the attached zip has a 3e recovery modified to disable signature checking
    report API version 2 for backwards compatibility with clockwork mod recovery
    and disable the forced wipe after installing any update.

I don't know of any reason to run this version over 2e but it
    might be useful to someone.

Installing:

1. turn on USB debugging
    2. plug into computer
    3. run script and follow on screen prompts.

UPDATED 01/23/2011

fixed path error when space in user name

UPDATED 01/22/2011

compressed the rageagainstthecage resource to prevent anti-virus detection

new anti-virus report
    http://virscan.org/report/8e83f338fd7b8631c6b0bc0679efbd29.html

the /system file system is full on the newer ROM's
    use the attached update.zip to root then install clockwork
    i too am a noob compared to others on this board and your advice helped me out a lot. i was banging my head on my desk when it told me i didnt have shell root. used superoneclick and now all is good. thanks again!

No problem, alot people helped me on here and Im just trying to return the favor.

Hi all,
    I'm a noob here and I need your help.

Could you explain on step by step? I have a rooted captivate 2.2.

Should I install SDK first? Or just set the phone on USB debug is enough? I really confused.

I hope this method works properly on my phone because I've tried many methods but I still got nothing. Thanks.

Ok Ill try to help you with this.

1. get superoneclick root application (its on the forums just search for it.)
    2. plug phone into computer then open superoneclick application
    3. click on shell root (i used psneuter method) in the application and let it do its thing
    4. Once you get a message that you have shell root, download the 3e recovery from OP and unzip to desktop. (DO NOT restart phone!!!)
    5. run the .BAT file in the unzipped folder.
    6. go through the steps and choose to restart when done (it will show as recommended)
    You are now done!
    Let me know how it goes
    you changed the recovery file in /system/bin correct?
    you might need to redownload CWM also

actually I just fixed it by trial and error. I used titanium to uninstall slacker radio and then reran the recover program from my pc and this time the file wrote was bigger then before. Now when I reboot into recovery and press reinstall twice I go into clockwork everytime. Funny though is that the first time I ran this it worked and I could get into clockwork but then it just stopped working all together, but I seem to be good to go now.

Thanks for the help and I'll do it manually in the future.
    So I gave this a try on stock JK6

Everytime I try to reinstall packages it says signature failed. I followed the instructions, maybe I got confused somewhere in the process with the fact that there are 4 files to dl and 2 versions etc.

can someone pease give a step-by-step from which to dl then what to do next?

I hate to ask like i need my hand held but it just flat out isnt working for me. Not to mention it is a massive pain to get files to my sd since everytime it says parameter incorrect. I could really use a hand here. I can get fies on the internal after copying to the externa then moving with root exporer, but I am just lost otherwise

If you are on stock JK6 - meaning you flashed JK6 via ODIN and do not have root:
    The 2 files you will need to download are update.zip and mod_jk6_recovery.zip
    1.) Place the update.zip in your internal sd card (i.e. /sdcard/update.zip). Sounds like you already have a method to do this by copying to external and using root explorer to move it to internal (you can also use adb push).
    2.) Boot in recovery and flash the update.zip file. This will root your phone.
    3.) Unzip mod_jk6_recovery.zip and rename the file 'mod_jk6_recovery' to 'recovery' and place this file on your external sd card.
    4.) Use adb shell to issue the following command
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system
    or use Root Explorer and browse to the /system folder and use the Mount r/w button
    5.) Using root explorer (or through adb shell) you will need to delete some bloatware from the /system/app partition to free some space. I got rid of slackerradio.
    6.) Use root explorer to rename the following file /system/bin/recover to /system/bin/recovery_jk6 to back up your original recovery file
    7.) Copy the recovery file from your external sd card to /system/bin

You can skip the first 2 steps if you are already rooted.
    I am a Learning noob and cant get into clockwork recovery. First off I have updated to Official Froyo through Kies. I rooted through superonclick, downloaded titanium, got busybox off market and then it updated through titanium. Backed up apps and system data. Downloaded Rom manager it says i have clockwork 2.5.1.2. When i click to reboot into recovery it takes me to the stock recovery 3e and when i reinstall Packages it gives me this error:

"E: failed to varifywhole-file signature"
    "E:signature verification failed"
    Installation aborted.

What is it that am doing wrong ? I did tons of research on forums but am getting the spin around about this Recovery3e. Can you guys lead me to the right direction how to fix this ?

Ok I was having the same problem a you, I'm also a noob. Go to the first post and download the 3e recovery and extract to desktop. Use super one click to achieve shell root. (i used the psneuter method) After that open the .bat file you just extracted and press 2 then enter.let it run. Restart as recommended. The end. Click thanks if I helped.