Google Allows Search Queries To Interact With Apps

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings lots of new features that are quite useful for end users and … more

Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner of American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

[Q] Unlock driod 2 for sprint????

OP Nismo-b15

9th November 2010, 05:39 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

14 posts
hey just wondering if i could prehaphs unlock or reflash a droid 2 for sprint? i have an evo 4g getting board.... and kinda want a droid with a board thanks for your help
9th November 2010, 02:48 PM   |  #2  
Flag Greensboro, NC
Thanks Meter: 7

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo-b15

hey just wondering if i could prehaphs unlock or reflash a droid 2 for sprint? i have an evo 4g getting board.... and kinda want a droid with a board thanks for your help

Not sure you can do that since Verizon and Sprint have different types of networks. Maybe a Droid 2 Global?
9th November 2010, 05:03 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

57 posts
Verizon and Sprint actually do have the same type of network (they both use CDMA), but it would be next to impossible to get a phone from one network activated on the other. Unfortunately, it isn't like the SIM cards, where you can just unlock the phone and put in another carrier's SIM. From what I hear, Verizon won't activate an ESN (device identifier) that isn't from a device they have sold.

Not sure about Sprint, but I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing it in a LONG time.
9th November 2010, 05:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 0

62 posts
More
actually, they dont operate on different network types. sprint and verizon both definitely run on CDMA, and their phones can technically function on either network. the problem is that the IMEI's for each network are only valid on their respective network. If your IMEI is not on the particular network then it will not activate on that network.

the general rule of thumb with sprint and verizon phones: if it doesnt have the corresponding carrier branding on the phone in some fashion, then it will not activate on that particular network.

Also, carrier reps for both of these carriers will not add in your IMEI no matter how much money you say you will throw at them.
9th November 2010, 06:28 PM   |  #5  
Flag Greensboro, NC
Thanks Meter: 7

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoible

Verizon and Sprint actually do have the same type of network (they both use CDMA), but it would be next to impossible to get a phone from one network activated on the other. Unfortunately, it isn't like the SIM cards, where you can just unlock the phone and put in another carrier's SIM. From what I hear, Verizon won't activate an ESN (device identifier) that isn't from a device they have sold.

Not sure about Sprint, but I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing it in a LONG time.

My apologies for being misinformed.
9th November 2010, 07:07 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 2

28 posts
I use to have a BB storm and once you "unlocked" it you could use it on other networks. I seem to recall a lively discussion on crackberry.com regarding which networks with which it would work. Now perhaps that's because the storm had CDMA/GSM capabilities, but I'm not sure.
9th November 2010, 08:31 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

57 posts
I had a Storm as well. When you unlocked it, you could get it to work on AT&T and T-Mobile, because it was a global phone with a SIM card. You couldn't get 3G on any of the US Carriers, since the 3G frequencies are different in the US and in the rest of the world (so the data would be confined to slow 2G rates).

I did see a rumor recently that T-Mobile eventually did something to lock US Storms out of their networks.
http://crackberry.com/t-mobile-killi...-storm-devices

If you get the Droid 2 Global, you should be able to unlock it and run it on AT&T or T-Mobile with a SIM card. You most likely won't be able to get 3G, though. Probably not worth it.

Hopefully, when Verizon switches to LTE some time in the next year, the phones will be compatible across carriers. From what I understand, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T are all switching to LTE. It sounds like Sprint is investigating, and my guess is that they will go that direction (ditching WiMax in the long-term). However, I wouldn't put it past the carriers to lock other US devices out of their networks.

Regardless, this won't help much with getting a device to run on Sprint. I'm sure that there will be some more cool Android Devices coming out for Sprint in the future.
10th November 2010, 09:59 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 9

189 posts
More
A colleague of mine recently activated a DROID X on Sprint, but it was a hassle all around.

Programming the phone through QPST was annoying but doable, it was getting the phone's ESN added to the Sprint database that was a real hassle.

Eventually, my colleague had to work with somebody in Overland Park, KS. (Sprint's HQ) to get it done. After 11 phone calls to Sprint Customer Service (which were totally clueless), he finally sent a FedEx to Steve Elfman's office (President Network Operations) before anybody at Sprint was willing to even consider the addition. A few days after the Fedex was received, somebody from Mr. Elfman's office called my colleague back and worked with him to accomplish the addition.

After all is said and done, my colleague is happy that his DROID X is now on Sprint, but he has said a few times now that it really was not worth the effort that he had to put into it to get it accomplished.

Dan
Last edited by dan1431; 10th November 2010 at 10:03 PM.
10th November 2010, 10:02 PM   |  #9  
Retired Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Flag The Ninth Circle of Dante's Inferno
Thanks Meter: 2,674

21,289 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1431

A colleague of mine recently activated a DROID X on Sprint, but it was a hassle all around.

Programming the phone through QPST was annoying but doable, it was getting the phone's ESN added to the Sprint database that was a real hassle.

Eventually, my colleague had to work with somebody in Overland Park, KS. (Sprint's HQ) to get it done. After 11 phone calls to Sprint Customer Service (which were totally clueless), he finally sent a FedEx to Steve Elfman's office (President Network Operations) before anybody at Sprint was willing to even consider the addition. A few days after the Fedex was received, somebody from Mr. Elfman's office called my colleague back and worked with him to accomplish the addition.

After all is said and done, my colleague is happy that his DROID X is now on Sprint, but he has said a few times now that it really was not worth the effort that he had to put into it to get it accomplished.

Dan

Hmm, interesting that it can be done though!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread