[GUIDE] Perma-root and S-OFF!! (Both manually or if you used VISONary r12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

TL24

Oct 2, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Quick questions-
Since I used Paul's method to delete a few of the bloatware apps, should I re-install the stock ROM first, manually install the OTA and then perma-ROOT it?

InGeNeTiCs

May 31, 2007
Quick questions-
Since I used Paul's method to delete a few of the bloatware apps, should I re-install the stock ROM first, manually install the OTA and then perma-ROOT it?

I think 'better safe than sorry' rules apply here. I'd rather have to reset all my settings than be stuck with a brick.

ellessidil

Sep 17, 2009
Madison, AL
Thanks, worked like a charm!

Started the process before the instructions had been updated past pushing the files, running the if/of command and then rebooting, but everything worked out fine in the end, and I have a happy S-OFF showing now.

Baba1472

Feb 3, 2008
FINALLY!!

WARNING: THIS COULD PERMENANTLY BRICK YOUR PHONE, INSTEAD OF ROOT IT IF YOU DO THE EVER-SO-SLIGHTEST THING WRONG. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY.

On that note, I would not recommend this on any phone other than the G2, as I have not personally tested it.

Credit goes out to scotty2, and all of the wonderful folks at #G2ROOT! WE LOVE YOU! <3

Firstly, run VISIONary to gain temp root.

You need these files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1738927/G2ROOT/hboot-eng.img
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1738927/G2ROOT/wpthis-OTA.ko
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1738927/G2ROOT/wpthis-pre-OTA.ko

MD5s:
Code:
4ed6ac813dbea0ee263ba0f6dc288693  wpthis-OTA.ko
8ac8e7a331a199a48001c691e59b1b33  wpthis-pre-OTA.ko
7669ae12dc2faa10ae555a164980efd0  hboot-eng.img

Push the .ko file appropriate for your phone, and hboot-eng.img to /data/local/, then go ahead and open a terminal or adb shell

Code:
$ su
# insmod wpthis-[YOURVER].ko

When you say push the .ko file for my phone, which is the correct .ko file for the G2? I figured the one you posted was correct but I want to make sure that you mean the wpthis-OTA.ko is for those who updated to the current G2 ota and that wpthis-pre-OTA.ko is for thos who have not updated to the G2 ota yet. I know how strict this root method is so I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks and great work devs....following dev work since the G2 just confirms my decision to study engineering and continue doing research...

-Baba

SlicedKuniva

Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis
Just rebooted now. Hoping it stuck since when I ran visionary it said already root. (was thinking it may have un-rooted soft root during the process) We will see.

edit: forgot to turn off Visionary

Arcadia310

Aug 13, 2010
Can someone explain to me very clearly how to "push" files in ADB and do this step by step? I've never quite used ADB so I don't know how to push files to data/local and stuff.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

InGeNeTiCs

May 31, 2007
Can someone explain to me very clearly how to "push" files in ADB and do this step by step? I've never quite used ADB so I don't know how to push files to data/local and stuff.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA App

This is NOT the thread for posts like this

Command: adb push 'filename' /data/local/'filename'

a-money

Dec 28, 2008
does this mean we get to flash any rom we want once we perma root as normal (update.zip)

also what about custom recovery images?

compuguy1088

Jun 17, 2010
NoVA
www.compuguy1088.com
Last edited:

Vandam500

Apr 7, 2010
For the people that don't know how to use ADB push. You can copy the files to your sdcard and then use Root Explorer to move them into /data/local and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FINALLY!!

IMG_20101109_095337.jpg

WARNING: THIS COULD PERMENANTLY BRICK YOUR PHONE, INSTEAD OF ROOT IT IF YOU DO THE EVER-SO-SLIGHTEST THING WRONG. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY. ALSO, THE HBOOT FILE LOCATED HERE SHOULD ONLY BE USED ON THE G2. IF YOU SO CHOOSE TO USE THIS ON YOUR DESIRE Z, DESIRE HD, MOTOROLA RAZR, WHATEVER, IT WILL PROBABLY SCREW THINGS UP. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED, ONCE AGAIN!

The next person to spam or hijack the thread with immature pics or comments will get a perm Ban!!!!

Whoa, where did that comment above come from?? =P Thanks mods, I appreciate it!

On that note, I would not recommend this on any phone other than the G2, as I have not personally tested it.

NOTES: This thread is not working in Tapatalk for some reason. Click here to open it in your browser. Also, this will not fix your phone's hinges, your nagging girlfriend, or world hunger. It is what it is.

If you perma-rooted with VISIONary r12, you only need to follow steps 5, and 7. All other steps can be omitted. If you would like to do this all manually, you can still use VISIONary r12, however, instead of using the "PERMANENT" option, use the "TEMPORARY" option, where applicable.

VISIONary r12 has been temporarily pulled.

Expect an update to work with VISIONary r14 soon!

Credit goes out to scotty2, and all of the wonderful folks at #G2ROOT! WE LOVE YOU! <3

Donate to scotty2 (for root): walker.scott@gmail.com (PayPal)
    Donate to me (for this guide): gerad.munsch@gmail.com (PayPal)

You need these files:
    hboot-eng.img
    wpthis-OTA.ko
    wpthis-pre-OTA.ko

MIRRORS:
    http://bt.microcozm.net/vision-perm-root.zip

MD5s:
    Code:
    4ed6ac813dbea0ee263ba0f6dc288693  wpthis-OTA.ko
    8ac8e7a331a199a48001c691e59b1b33  wpthis-pre-OTA.ko
    7669ae12dc2faa10ae555a164980efd0  hboot-eng.img

Step 1
    Firstly, run VISIONary to gain temp root

Step 2
    Push the .ko file appropriate for your phone, and hboot-eng.img to /data/local/

Step 3
    Open a terminal on your phone, or open an adb shell from your computer.

Step 4
    Code:
    $ su
    # insmod /data/local/wpthis-[YOUR_VER].ko
    It should return:

Code:
    init_module 'wpthis-OTA.ko' failed (Function not implemented)
    That is good.

Step 5
    FINAL WARNING: THIS STEP COULD SEVERELY DAMAGE YOUR PHONE. USING THE INCORRECT FILE COULD CAUSE IRREPARABLE DAMAGE, MAKING YOUR PHONE NOTHING MORE THAN A BRICK.

That noted, if you would like S-OFF, go ahead and run this command in your terminal.
    Code:
    # dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18

Step 6
    Note: This step is not required if you have used VISIONary r12 to perma-root.

If VISIONary gives you issues about already being rooted here, go ahead and skip this step. After you complete the guide and reboot, go ahead and run VISIONary, and hit "ROOT NOW", wait a minute or two, and reboot again. At this point, you will be fully rooted.

Close your terminal. If you are in adb shell, disregard :)
    Run VISIONary again, this will lock in root. But wait, you're not done yet.

Step 7
    This step will lock in your perma-root and S-OFF. If you are using adb shell, you should still have your shell open. If you have used VISIONary r12 to perma-root, and are just wanting to apply S-OFF, your terminal should still be open. If you have just completed step 6, go ahead and reopen your terminal, and type su and press enter to regain root access.

Code:
    # sync
    Wait a minute or two, and reboot. Congratulations, you are S-OFF!! Go ahead and power off your phone, and hold down VOL DOWN and press POWER to boot up into your bootloader. Check the top line to confirm you have S-OFF. Enjoy!!

Thanks again, everybody!
    For the people that don't know how to use ADB push. You can copy the files to your sdcard and then use Root Explorer to move them into /data/local and go from there.
    do u guys have Wi-Fi Calling app? if so, then post-OTA.. but its recommened to do gfree.. here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=855764
    I have rooted 17 G2's using this method with no issues. Last time i did this was a little over a month ago. We(business) upgraded, the other day, a bunch of our lines to G2's. I went to use this method like normal and can not get S-OFF. I tried two others thinking that there was something up with the first one. Could t-mobile be implementing something to block this on the newly distributed devices?
    Alright, so I just bought a G2 offline. I have no idea if this phone is rooted or if I need to root it. It did not have Superuser when I started it up. But, when I went to the bootloader, it looked exactly like the picture in the 1st post. It says ENG S-OFF & all that. It even has Clockwork Mod as a recovery. Now by the looks of it on here, that S-OFF os something that happens when you root it or when you're done rooting. So my question is, does anybody know if I'm already rooted?

I also have no idea if it got an OTA or not.

You are most likely rooted .
    U can flash custom roms and stuff now if u want .

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App