[Q] AT&T will not give me an unlock code for the Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

panman91

Jan 20, 2009
I have been a customer with AT&T for well over a year.
Why will they not give me an unlock code for this phone.
Does anyone know of any reputable online unlock sources to use that might have the Focus as a unlockable phone?

Also would calling Samsung directly get me any further?

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
I have been a customer with AT&T for well over a year.
Why will they not give me an unlock code for this phone.
Does anyone know of any reputable online unlock sources to use that might have the Focus as a unlockable phone?

Also would calling Samsung directly get me any further?

Unlocking is totally up to AT&T. Samsung won't help you on that. Whether or not online vendors can help is up to specific vendor. I know Samsung Captivate can't be unlocked by any 3rd party vendor and AT&T claimed 10-month exclusivity and refuse to give out any unlock code. Looks like Focus will be the same.

Just to be sure, you have a post paid account with AT&T and paid all your bills on time, right? That were the only criteria in the past determine whether or not AT&T will give you the unlock code for a phone. Now Captivate is the first phone that didn't follow that policy (iPhone is the exception).

panman91

Jan 20, 2009
Yes post-paid account and paid all my bills on time. They better not screw me on this. I mean its a world phone and I'm gonna be traveling out of the country. It's not like I'm gonna cancel my service with them. And even if I did they would still charge for early termination fees.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Did they give you any reason why?

You can still use it as world phone. Just have to pay AT&T $$$ :)

idloco

Aug 21, 2007
La Ribera
Can we get this unlock codes outside of at&t? or probably something like HSPL or something with that sort of access to the focus?

panman91

Jan 20, 2009
Quick update on the unlock fiasco....
I called Samsung direct and was transferred to their Level 3 technical support hotline and they gave me the unlock code without any struggles.

Make sure you put in a foreign sim and enter the unlock code and your golden.
Confirmed working by putting in a tmobile sim and made a phone call.

Last edited:

rexian

Oct 22, 2006
That's good to know :)

I never had problems getting unlock codes from them in the past though I remember someone saying the a/c should be in good status and beyond 6 months into the contract.

markgamber

Apr 1, 2005
Nice! That IS good to know. Yet another reason why I'm starting to like this more than the iPhone where you get NO unlock code, ever, from anyone, for any reason.

arimozuki

Oct 24, 2009
Quick update on the unlock fiasco....
I called Samsung direct and was transferred to their Level 3 technical support hotline and they gave me the unlock code without any struggles.

Make sure you put in a foreign sim and enter the unlock code and your golden.
Confirmed working by putting in a tmobile sim and made a phone call.

Can i have that number? Please?? Thanks :)

kcasante

Jun 21, 2010
Tampa
culturalmutt.com
I called AT&T, then SAMSUNG, then had AT&T call SAMSUNG.

The verdict is:
Samsung can get you to the screen where the NCK code should be entered.
BUT only AT&T can give you that code.
THe AT&T agent went on to tell me that they see in their system that unlock codes will be made available but some time next year... :-(

Does anyone know of other methods to get this unlocked? I'm spending some time in Europe at the end of the month and if I can't get this unlocked I'm just going to return it and get something else...

panman91

Jan 20, 2009
All you need to do is just call Samsung directly and tell them you have the NCK code.
Tell them you need to speak with Level 3 support.
The NCK code AT&T gave me was 97884489, but Samsung didnt even need that number when I called them the second time.
They will tell you to follow the process like this w/o a sim but you dont need to:
#7465625*638*CODE#
This wont work. Just get a non-AT&T sim card and enter in the unlock code they give you and voila your unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Today I used fastgsm.com.
    20$, instantaneous, working.

If someone is interested and doesn't know exactly what to do there, feel free to ask.
    I can confirm this works great and you can use paypal.

yeah fastgsm worked for me too.
    samsung focus code will be on eBay this Sunday again :)
    Does that mean after wp7 update, the focus will be locked again using fastgsm?

once again so all can understand... once a phone is subsidary unlocked( that is what this is called) it cannot be relocked by any software updates or anything you do to it unless you go in thru the code process and enter that code again to relock it... period....... no ifs... no ands ... no buts......
    Your phone will be dead after update to new version (tampered sec-zone is not understand by new version).

We do not tamper security zone or firmware. Therefor it is impossible to kill the Focus phones.

Or you can NOT update to new version, because sec-zone was modified and updater can not understand the phone <~~~ chance is higher than first case.

This is non-sense. Our software recalculates security zone and it is 100% identical with factory calculated one. You can update your firmware in the future without any problem. Zone is NOT tampered.

Or it may be locked again, maybe to AT&T again, or maybe LOCKED to ALL network. Reason is new version may or may not fix the security hole that fastgsm use, and new version will not understand patched sec-zone lock table, so instead of locked back to AT&T, it will lock to ALL network.

I say it again. We do not use any hole or firmware patching on Focus phones. We just recalculate whole security zone. There is no difference between typing unlock code from your network or using our service. If phone gets relocked same would happen if you use factory/network code.

But since the moment you plug the cable and use fastgsm unlock method, your warranty had been VOID, and during unlock, if something bad happen then you have an absolutely dead phone.

I repeat again. Your phone can not be killed by unlocking. Warranty is not void as your phone is unlocked and nobody can see difference from unlocking by code (even Samsung service center). If they void your warranty because phone is unlocked then they would do same if you used unlock code instead of FastGSM.

Best Regards,

Mike
    FastGSM