Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 48,297 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PROGRAM] Heimdall - Cross-Platform Open-Source Flashing Software (1.0.0 Available)

Tip us?

oquinones
Old
(Last edited by krook6023; 9th November 2010 at 07:15 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up [PROGRAM] Heimdall - Cross-Platform Open-Source Flashing Software (1.0.0 Available)

Hey guys. I found this over in the I9000 forum. It's an alternative to Odin. For those of us who use Mac or don't have access to a Windows machine.

Link to program:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/products/heimdall/

Link to thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=755265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Dobell View Post
IMPORTANT: If you have a Heimdall alpha 5 or older do not run it.

What is Heimdall?
Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source utility to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S phones.

How does it work?
Heimdall uses the same protocol as Odin to interact with a device in download mode. USB communication in Heimdall is handled by the popular open-source USB library, libusb-1.0.

Why “Heimdall”?
The flashing software Odin is named after the king of gods in Norse mythology. Loke, the software component on the Galaxy S that provides functionality to flash, may also to be named after an important character in Norse mythology, often translated as Loki. As such I have named my flashing software Heimdall, after the Norse god, and guardian of the Bifrost Bridge.

What platforms does Heimdall run on?
Linux, OS X and Windows (XP, Vista, 7 etc.)

Why use Heimdall when we can use Odin?
Odin is generally unreliable and only runs on Windows systems. Furthermore, Odin is leaked Samsung software that is not freely available or well understood by the community.

Is Heimdall safe?
No matter what method you chose, flashing firmware onto your phone has a lot of potential for disaster. We have tested Heimdall with a variety of phones flashing several different firmware versions resulting in a 100% success rate. As such we believe that Heimdall is generally reliable. However keep in mind, just like any flashing software, Heimdall has the potential to brick your phone if not used correctly.

How do Galaxy S phones get bricked when flashing?
Besides the inherent risks like power outs, accidental removal of the USB cable etc. The Galaxy S appears to be running extremely unreliable USB control software.

A failure to flash does not automatically equate to a bricked phone. However if you're extremely unlucky and the flash fails whilst transferring the primary boot-loader, secondary boot-loader or params.lfs (all quite small) than you've got yourself a paper weight that you're hoping Samsung will replace.

Please be extremely careful mixing files from different firmware releases. Don't do so unless you're certain it will work!

What Galaxy S variants has Heimdall been tested with?
I've tested Heimdall with a Galaxy S GT-I9000 (8 GB) from the United Kingdom and Galaxy S GT-I9000 (16 GB) from Australia. I don't have access to any other devices to test with at present, but community members have confirmed it to also function correctly for the AT&T Captivate.

Enough talk, where can we get it?
The latest release is available here. Please read the instructions and README files included in the archives.

I love you, man. Will you have my baby?
No, but I will very gladly accept donations. If you appreciate my work and would like to support future development you can make a donation here. If you think you have something else to offer, then feel free to shoot me a PM or contact me via the contact form on the Glass Echidna website.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to oquinones For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

krook6023
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1269

DONATE TO ME
Edited title and first post to be more descriptive, it is true that this is already posted here @ XDA on another forum but I will keep this open in hopes that some Vibrant users find it valuable.

krook6023 (mod team)

TheSneakerWhore
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Awesome! Ty

Sent from my SGH-T959 using a chihuahua
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I'm probably trolling you.

scrizz
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 626

DONATE TO ME
sw33t thanks for this
PAST: T-mobile G1/iphone/N900/T-mobile HD2/BB 8520/Vibrant/T-mobile G2/Nokia N8/LG G2x/32GB HP Touchpad/Playbook/Vibrant/BB Z10
CURRENT: Nexus 7 /Moto G

Vibrant Modems Here!
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Y U NO BE SMARTER

strictlyrude27
Old
Thanks Meter 405

DONATE TO ME
NICE. I'll give it a try as soon as I need to use ODIN again.

(Running Ubuntu 10.10 x64 here.)

jmatic
Old
Thanks Meter 2
how do I install this in linux ubuntu... Please give us a HowTo

Thank You

the3dman
Old
Thanks Meter 103

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatic View Post

Thank You
1. Download and install the libusb-1.0 v1.0.8 developer package, please refer to http://www.libusb.org/.

2. Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you extracted Heimdall to.

3. Type the following:

./configure
make
sudo make install

db3
Old
(Last edited by db3; 9th November 2010 at 08:51 PM.) Reason: the the3dman beat me to it, and was much nicer than i was :)
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatic View Post

Thank You
its in the README.

JeremyNT
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3dman View Post
1. Download and install the libusb-1.0 v1.0.8 developer package, please refer to http://www.libusb.org/.

2. Open a terminal and navigate to the directory you extracted Heimdall to.

3. Type the following:

./configure
make
sudo make install
I haven't tested it yet, but presumably the Ubuntu package libusb-1.0-0-dev will satisfy this particular build dependency.

I'm really excited about this! I've been reluctant to run odin in a Windows VM, and having a native solution in Linux is a huge win.

oquinones
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNT View Post
I haven't tested it yet, but presumably the Ubuntu package libusb-1.0-0-dev will satisfy this particular build dependency.

I'm really excited about this! I've been reluctant to run odin in a Windows VM, and having a native solution in Linux is a huge win.
Yeah I had to Odin the new Froyo but I'm on a Mac and couldn't use Odin in Virtual Box. So I searched for alternatives and this is what I found. I only wish that it would have a GUI so it would be easier to use but I will take what I can get.