Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 40,084 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally Garmin for Android!

Tip us?

ajape
Old
Thanks Meter 120

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahbah View Post
Maps are useless without proper routing.
I agree, which is why there is such a thing as this thread in the first place.
Quote:
"But you can try to generate the routing nodes manually (using Map Edit's menu Tools > Generate routing nodes) then after saving the map in Navitel format, it will be accepted by Navitel and the routing will be enabled."
***My RAZR HD WALLPAPERS collection and my RED and BLUE 720p HD Boot Animations for the RAZR HD***

laser21
Old
Thanks Meter 4
thanks for that! I will try how it works...

boki81
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Garmin announces software for iphone and android on the official website

laser21
Old
(Last edited by laser21; 4th January 2011 at 01:18 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by boki81 View Post
Really?? where?

found it: http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2011/01/g...nchId=newsroom

but its just for Iphone... for Android only other tracking software apps will be available.
The Following User Says Thank You to laser21 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Gh0stRider
Old
Thanks Meter 0
He can`t post links, just like me, but If you search for "GarminŽ Brings Turn-by-Turn Navigation to iPhone with New StreetPilot App" in google you will find out

ajape
Old
(Last edited by ajape; 4th January 2011 at 03:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 120

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
He can`t post links, just like me, but If you search for "GarminŽ Brings Turn-by-Turn Navigation to iPhone with New StreetPilot App" in google you will find out
Hmmm not really, I just read like 50 Webpages with the search term you gave and they all said the exact same thing: StreetPilot is now available for IPhones via the ITunes store for $39.99, Iphone and Android will get some other apps with different functions (translation: other than navigation) at some as yet undetermined future date. How exactly does this mean anything good for us, please, since I don't seem capable of understanting your meaning...

Quote:
OLATHE, Kan. - (BUSINESS WIRE) - Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ:GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, today announced its first turn-by-turn navigation app for iPhone, StreetPilot, as well as its full lineup of new smartphone applications for both iPhone and Android. Garmin's new mobile applications -- including StreetPilot for iPhone, Garmin Tracker, myMechanic, and My-Cast Lite -- will be on display in the Garmin booth (South Hall #35831) at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

"Providing consumers with mobile applications is yet another way they can experience the benefits of Garmin - be it our navigation expertise or bringing the capabilities of our niche market products to a smartphone. GPS is an extremely helpful tool, but we recognize it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. We decided to introduce a new line of smartphone applications so that we can give customers a quality Garmin experience in the format of their choosing," said Dan Bartel, Garmin's vice president of worldwide sales.

The StreetPilot App: Designed specifically for iPhone, the StreetPilot App gives iPhone owners unlimited use of Garmin's industry-leading navigation with traffic alerts. The intuitive interface greets users with two simple options: "Where to?" and "View Map." Customers can easily look up addresses and services and get voice-prompted, turn-by-turn directions that speak street names to their destination.

The StreetPilot App includes many of the same high-end features available on Garmin's standalone automotive GPS devices like free traffic alerts that enable drivers to steer clear of traffic accidents, road closures and construction; lane assist with junction view that directs drivers to the preferred lane and displays realistic images of upcoming complex junctions; and speed limit indicators that display speed limits for most major roads. It is an off-board navigation system so that customers always have the advantage of the most up-to-date mapping information available.

The StreetPilot App also integrates with a driver's iTunes music library so they can access and control their music while on the move; integrates with their address book so they can navigate directly from their contact list; and uses the multitasking ability of iOS 4 to allow them to take a phone call while the navigation continues to work in the background.

The StreetPilot App is available now for $39.99 from the App Store on iPhone or at www.itunes.com/appstore.

Garmin Tracker: Available soon for iPhone and Android, the free Garmin Tracker App works in conjunction with the Garmin GTU 10 tracking devices (also announced at CES 2011) allowing users to track the things that mean the most to them - a child, pet, boat, car and more - and see its location from the convenience of their smartphone.

myMechanic: Auto aficionados can now know their car's specific performance metrics including horsepower, torque, G-force, and more. Available for download from the Android Marketplace beginning in February 2011, myMechanic's information is available when paired via Bluetooth with Garmin's ecoRoute HD module.

My-Cast Lite: In addition to the lineup of My-Cast apps currently available for iPhone, a new, free My-Cast Lite application is available now for Android users which provides radar, current conditions, hourly and extended forecasts and more.

Since its inception in 1989, Garmin has delivered 72 million GPS enabled devices - far more than any other navigation provider. Garmin's market breadth in the GPS industry is second to none, having developed innovative products and established a leadership position in each of the markets it serves, including automotive, aviation, marine, fitness, outdoor recreation, tracking, and wireless applications.
***My RAZR HD WALLPAPERS collection and my RED and BLUE 720p HD Boot Animations for the RAZR HD***

trahbah
Old
Thanks Meter 0
OMG! I dont beleive Garmin made it for Iphone, not for Android

boki81
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Iphone OS and android are both linux based...
First IGO for android was ripped from iphone, so it's the matter of time when it will be done for garmin too...

ajape
Old
Thanks Meter 120

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Iphone OS and android are both linux based...
First IGO for android was ripped from iphone, so it's the matter of time when it will be done for garmin too...
There are lots of phones out there that are ALREADY running the Garmin Navigation app for Android, in fact every single Nuvifone A50 as well as all Garmin-Asus A10 phones that have been sold are already running it. So, if we haven't even been able to get the software when there are already versions of it that could just have been directly ripped out of the eclair 2.1 system image of these units, just how much easier could it be to get when those files are on a completely different OS this time????

rihok
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I just tried to separate some garminrelated files fromsystem image I uploaded before.
I havent tried yet but they should be copied to /system directory on android system.
I'm not android expert, just have some linux skills.

I also checked video from youtube of garminfone...
youtube.com/watch?v=EpipLPUa_pA
it explains a bit why it is not so easy to extract the application.

Anyway I hope that somebody could somehow extract it and make it work.

I upload the files I separated but I'mafraid that it isn't complete set.

test.itk-ib.ee/system.tar.gz

Anyway somebody who is smarter shoud check the system image.
I also have recovery image. If it is needed thenI can upload it as well.