Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,319 Members 51,253 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Turn off OTA notification? Possible?

Tip us?

konoplya
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Turn off OTA notification? Possible?

hi. i perma-rooted my phone and then got the OTA update. since im not sure whether i want to do the OTA (people reported their phone being sluggish afterwards) i would like it to stop bugging me about updating. is there a way to do it? i have looked everywhere on the phone, but couldn't find a setting for that.

thnx in advance.

also, if i do decide to do the OTA, would i have to re-root the phone?

thx

Sv3nt3k
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm a bit torn on this as well. Just recently rooted my phone before getting the announcement on my phone that the update is available. However, after actually trying it, it stops at the very beginning and Clockworks is telling me that some signature couldn't be validated and it interrupted the installation of the update.

No harm came to my phone and it's still in the same state as it was before attempting to apply the OTA update.

Would I need to do the round-about way by downloading and installing it another method?

mpmilestogo
Old
Thanks Meter 62
I'm interested in this as well. I have a second G2 arriving for a family friend. Its totally unlocked so I will most likely apply the update and then root the phone. Is it the consensus opinion that future updates after flashing with clockwork will just fail at some signature validation after rooting and S=OFF? I'm curious about future updates from HTC/Tmo and how this will work as well. I'm also assuming that applying the existing OTA and then rooting is the best way to go.

BTW, I'm truly enjoying this phone now. Thanks to the general, themes/apps, and QA forums sections!

Sv3nt3k
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Just to update, I went ahead and applied the OTA update. The only reason why mine couldn't update properly is because I had uninstalled Google Goggles, as it runs an app check. You WILL lose your root but still have S-OFF. I followed this guide step-by-step and I was able to get root again. As far as it being sluggish, there's no performance loss.