Ask a question

No registration required

[MOD][UPDATED] Modified keymap files for G2

OP teferi

12th November 2010, 01:32 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

28 posts
After some quality time with the AOSP source and a hex editor today, I've come up with modified keymap files for the G2 that make the keyboard a bit more useful. It's gone through three iterations now, and I think it covers every key you can type on a normal keyboard now. Here it is.

Changes in version 0.3 (relative to the keymap in 0.1 below):

- left softkey is now "\"/"|"/"`"
- right softkeys are now "["/"{"/"<" and "]"/"}"/">"
- alt-z is now "^", since .com is tab now

Changes in version 0.2:
- modifications to the tools used in dumping keymaps and regenerating them

Changes in version 0.1:

- make ".com" a TAB key, as it ought to be
- make first right soft key "\" (shifted is "|")
- make second right soft key "<" (shifted is ">")

Installation instructions:

NOTE: I have not tested this on the Desire Z. I have no idea what its keycharmap and keylayout files look like.
FURTHER NOTE: Use at your own risk, etc, etc. I've included the original keymap files in the .zip as (filename).orig, but it can't hurt to take your own backups
FURTHER FURTHER NOTE: I've only tested version 0.3 on Cyanogenmod 6.1-RC1 on my G2, but there's no reason it shouldn't work on stock or an alternate ROM, since the keycodes I'm actually using should be the same.

PREREQUISITES: S-OFF G2, /system mounted read-write, root, busybox for 'cp'

- download file
- unzip g2-keymap-0.3.zip
- $ adb push vision-keypad.kl /sdcard
- $ adb push vision-keypad.kcm.bin /sdcard
- $ adb shell
- $ su # (if you don't have ro.secure turned off)
- # cp -f /sdcard/vision-keypad.kl /system/usr/keylayout/
- # cp -f /sdcard/vision-keypad.kcm.bin /system/usr/keychars/
- # reboot

To uninstall, just copy the .orig files back into place (so, copy vision-keypad.kl.orig to /system/usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl and vision-keypad.kcm.bin.orig to /system/usr/keychars/vision-keypad.kcm.bin

Hope you find this useful!

You can find the tools I used for dumping keymaps and the keymap files themselves with history on my github at https://github.com/aglasgall/g2-keymap
Attached Files
File Type: zip g2-keymap-0.3.zip - [Click for QR Code] (2.9 KB, 1226 views)
Last edited by teferi; 18th November 2010 at 06:18 PM. Reason: new version
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to teferi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2010, 01:49 AM   |  #2  
Flag philly
Thanks Meter: 7

85 posts
More
Just out of fear of screwing my phone up, on the cp I'm getting:
cp: can't create '/system/usr/keylayout/vision-keypad.kl': File exists

How should I proceed from here?
12th November 2010, 01:55 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

28 posts
Should have remembered that busybox cp refuses to overwrite files without -f. Use 'cp -f'; I'll update the instructions.

Thanks for the catch!
12th November 2010, 05:16 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 13

292 posts
So the soft keys are quick keys? I thought the Home, Menu, etc are soft keys.

I really felt like remapping the left-most quick key to alt, because that's where I'm used to having it.

I think each person may feel differently about the quick keys. Is it possible you could make a customizable version of your keymap? That would be superb. In the meantime I'll check this out, because I don't use those quick keys. Thanks.
12th November 2010, 06:41 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

28 posts
Yes, by "soft keys" I meant the shortcut keys. I could conceivably write a tool to generate customized keychar maps and keylayout maps, and maybe I will this weekend considering the long train rides I have ahead of me, but frankly it would be a lot of work and this particular itch is scratched for me, so I wouldn't get my hopes up were I you

If you're interested in editing these yourself, you'll need the following:

1) the tool 'evtest' to get keyboard scancodes
2) the Input Devices section of the Android porting guide at http://source.android.com/porting/index.html (though n.b. that a distressing amount of it is inaccurate)
3) base keylayout and keycharmap files (pull 'em off your device)
4) a keycode to keycode label translation table (there's one in the AOSP tree at frameworks/base/include/ui/KeycodeLabels.h; n.b. that it is INCOMPLETE and doesn't cover all the keycodes the G2's keylayout map generates!

Keyboard input on Android works like this:

scancodes from Linux input core (on the G2, the keyboard is /dev/input/event5) -> scancode to keycode translation (via the .kl keylayout map) -> keycode to character translation modified by any active modifiers (alt/shift/alt+shift)

You'll find the KeyLayoutMap and KeyCharacterMap classes in frameworks/base/libs/ui/ very helpful. I have a tool knocked up out of KCM to generate dumps of the compiled .kcm.bin files which I'm happy to share.

Happy hacking!
12th November 2010, 07:14 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

85 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teferi

Yes, by "soft keys" I meant the shortcut keys. I could conceivably write a tool to generate customized keychar maps and keylayout maps, and maybe I will this weekend considering the long train rides I have ahead of me, but frankly it would be a lot of work and this particular itch is scratched for me, so I wouldn't get my hopes up were I you

This also scratched my itch. I mean, how can you do anything without | ?

Thanks bunches, man!
12th November 2010, 08:04 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

47 posts
what we need is when you long press the number key on the physical keyboard it gives you the option for the number. Kinda like HTC_IME keyboard. I keep getting confused when i switch between the two.
12th November 2010, 09:09 AM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

24 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERYfan1988

what we need is when you long press the number key on the physical keyboard it gives you the option for the number. Kinda like HTC_IME keyboard. I keep getting confused when i switch between the two.

That would be a lot more complicated than a simple remapping. But I agree, if you use both the touch and physical keyboard, it is easy to get annoyed at the need to press alt key for numbers. They really should have had a number row, I used to love my sidekick's keyboard so much. Crappy phone though.
12th November 2010, 09:24 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 14

232 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teferi

After some quality time with the AOSP source and a hex editor today, I've come up with modified keymap files for the G2 that make the keyboard a bit more useful. Here it is.
Hope you find this useful!

Nice! I saw you on #g2root digging for this info, so I'm glad you pulled it together.

Will have to check out since the long presses don't work in a terminal, and slow the process down anyway. We really needed |, <, and >. Also dedicated tab versus alt-z is nice.

Hahaha, just hit my quick keys to see what I had programmed in (telnet, Notes Everywhere, and Shazam) since it had been so long. I seldom open the keyboard to actually use these.

-oldsk00lz
12th November 2010, 10:34 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 24

139 posts
What's the likelyhood of getting some kind of graphical remake of the virtual qwerty? I really just want the spacebar to be a tad bit bigger height wise. I keep hitting the damn b key when I want to space because of the wrap around case. Is this even possible to do?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
keylayout, patch
Previous Thread Next Thread