Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Video] How to perm root your g2

Tip us?

android602
Old
(Last edited by Mikey; 12th November 2010 at 04:08 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Video] How to perm root your g2

Thanx to blackprince310 that posted a tutorial video on youtube on how to perm root your g2..so now there's a video for all of us.. Subscribe to his youtube channel.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU9zn_BEth4

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to android602 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Xionas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I spent a whole day learning ADB before I felt comfortable enough to go through and root my G2 lol. Wish I had seen this vid would have been a great help but I can send it to my friends who haven't taken the plunge yet.

Thanks for the heads up.

apollostees
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xionas View Post
I spent a whole day learning ADB before I felt comfortable enough to go through and root my G2 lol. Wish I had seen this vid would have been a great help but I can send it to my friends who haven't taken the plunge yet.

Thanks for the heads up.
Dude that was time well spent.

ADB is essential to android all together, there may be one click root options and other quick fix packages but if your seriouse with android you need to know ADB.
For Myself:
Sony Xperia Z2 D6503 Rooted with Stock Rom
N5100 Galaxy Note 8.0 (the one with a phone in it.) Rooted with Stock Rom

For the Wife:
Galaxy Note 3
Rooted with Stock Rom

''We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.''

stevencpoynter
Old
Thanks Meter 21
+1 for adb knowledge.

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

add3421
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Thank you for the video, i followed it what i thought was exactly. everything seemed to work fine, rebooted into recovery, it did say s-off but ever app i open says that the phones not rooted. any ideas?

Nexus 4

Galaxy Nexus

HTC Doubleshot A.K.A. T-Mobile TouchMe

T-Mobile G2

Samsung Vibrant - POS

Nexus One

HTC Dream G1

T-Mobile Wing

T-Mobile Dash

luis86dr
Old
Thanks Meter 1,591
Yeah adb is very usefull. Spending time to learn the commands will help you greatly in the future and also save you a lot of time.

[G2/HTC Vision]

add3421
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by aad4321 View Post
Thank you for the video, i followed it what i thought was exactly. everything seemed to work fine, rebooted into recovery, it did say s-off but ever app i open says that the phones not rooted. any ideas?
Quote:
aparently this is happening to several people. hope its an easy fix...
YAY I FIXED IT. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID.

1. reboot
2. Open and run visionary (with set system r/w after root) checked.
3. After root is complete, click root again (should say already rooted)
4. Open Terminal and sype "su" then enter
5. Type "sync" and wait about a min
6. POWER OFF THE PHONE the right way by holding down the power.
7. After reboot it should work! YAY!!

Nexus 4

Galaxy Nexus

HTC Doubleshot A.K.A. T-Mobile TouchMe

T-Mobile G2

Samsung Vibrant - POS

Nexus One

HTC Dream G1

T-Mobile Wing

T-Mobile Dash

sinistersai4d4d
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Quote:
aparently this is happening to several people. hope its an easy fix...

Quote:
YAY I FIXED IT. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID.

1. reboot
2. Open and run visionary (with set system r/w after root) checked.
3. After root is complete, click root again (should say already rooted)
4. Open Terminal and sype "su" then enter
5. Type "sync" and wait about a min
6. POWER OFF THE PHONE the right way by holding down the power.
7. After reboot it should work! YAY!!

I fixed it as well but I did differently.. maybe it will help those still having trouble.. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID.

1) The first problem I had was I had Visionary 11 AND 12 (+plus) installed and both were set to root on boot. This was just a left over quirk from after doing the perm root since I just assumed it had to be set to root on boot, and after installing Vis12 I forgot to uninstall Vis11. Apparently Vis12 doesn't overwrite Vis11 so having both apps root on boot was a bad thing.

2) So I deleted both visionary apps (When they tried to root on boot I backed out of them and just uninstalled them)

3) Then I rebooted and was still not permrooted (although S was off)!

4) Sooo I reinstalled Visionary 12(+Plus)... and checked root on boot AND the r/w partition setting. Then rebooted..

5) With the lone visionary now installed and working solo it rebooted and ran on root and I was rooted..

So now i"m like, ok.. it rooted with visionary, but I don't want visionary in order to root...

6) So I uninstalled visionary 12 (for the second time) and rebooted and now the root stuck.

I think that visionary 12 needs to run after the first reboot with those two settings checked... run on boot and the partition setting. After that happens once I think it makes the root stick.. or at least it did for me.

keele8
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I had same issue with S-off but no root. I did the manual method and got S-off but root never stuck. I tried the manual method again and again but when I rebooted the apps would say root access could not be gained. What ended up working was I went into Visionary 12 and pushed the temp root button. Once I had temp root I then pushed the perm root button. It did it's thing and rebooted. Once it rebooted I had root that stuck. Don't know if this will help anyone having this issue but it was the only thing that worked for me. As a side note, it was like seeing an old childhood friend when I flashed Cyanogens bacon bits.

CG05
Old
Thanks Meter 0
How are you guys downloading visionary, now that its been pulled from the market?