Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

Boost the Brightness of Your Sony Xperia Z1’s LED

I think the last time anyone has ever used a physical torch to find their earphones, … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Modify the Look of Your Volume Control – XDA TV

How many screenshots have you seen with a volume status bar in the … more

[GUIDE] PermaRoot using VISIONary r12

12th November 2010, 02:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 222

130 posts
Donate to Me
More
IF THIS GOES WRONG (which it shouldn't) then my guide is NOT responsible. The app that YOU used it NOT responsible. YOU are responsible! Use at YOUR OWN risk!

Ok well there are two threads giving excellent guides on how to permaroot your phone, however PaulOBrien recently updated VISIONary to give a two-click permaroot to the desire HD and so we can get an easy basic permaroot without messing around with adb, terminal and whatnot!

Obviously this just achieves root, but doesn't get S-OFF. It also doesn't rewrite your Hboot...

The noob guide (for people like me...)

Step 0.5: If you have already got temproot using VISIONary r11 or earlier, make sure you uncheck 'temproot on startup' and then reboot your phone. Then once your phone has rebooted, remove VISIONary, reboot, and proceed with the steps below! (To let you know why, if you have temprooted with previous versions of VISIONary, r12 conflicts with it - this is because r12 checks for root and thinks the device is already rooted if a previous version has temprooted it...)

UPDATE: If you are having problems with your device saying it is already rooted try VISIONary r13 which Paul released as a fix I believe:

http://content.modaco.net/dropzone/c...ryplus.r13.apk Original post on MoDaCo - http://android.modaco.com/content-pa...root/page/120/

After you are all prepared:

Step 1: Download VISIONary r14: http://android.modaco.com/content/ht...ne-click-root/ and install it on your DHD

Step 2: Temproot your phone using VISIONary

Step 3: Use the Permaroot option to Permaroot your phone!

This is just a guide to get basic Permaroot on your DHD. However, if you would like to get S-OFF then please go to the guide written by sfjuocekr. He has prepared and written an excellent and (relatively) easy way to get it.

FOLLOW HIS INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY TO AVOID YOUR DHD BECOMING A GORGEOUS ALBEIT USELESS BRICK

Here it is: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=835746

As a final note, I'm not sure whether this (VISIONary) works on all kernel versions, but give it a try anyway! There is also an option in the app to get a one-click unroot.

ALL credit goes to PaulOBrien for making and updating this fantastic app!
Last edited by willk22; 11th February 2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Make the post clearer...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willk22 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th November 2010, 02:55 PM   |  #2  
Flag Copenhagen, Denmark
Thanks Meter: 90

1,179 posts
More
It worked for me.

I have a not branded DHD with the latest update.
12th November 2010, 04:03 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 2

146 posts
More
I tried the unroot just to see and it worked.
Something I was wondering was is do we need to click on the options 1/ Run visionary.sh after root and 2/Set system r/w after root? And if we do what do these do?
12th November 2010, 04:12 PM   |  #4  
Flag Nicosia
Thanks Meter: 292

3,085 posts
Donate to Me
More
i think we need a tutorial that uses VISIONary for permanent root, and then the remaining instructions to get S-OFF.

imo that would be the most noob friendly tutorial.
12th November 2010, 04:33 PM   |  #5  
Flag Leicester
Thanks Meter: 1

104 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeBeaver

i think we need a tutorial that uses VISIONary for permanent root, and then the remaining instructions to get S-OFF.

Agreed that's the tricky part
12th November 2010, 04:36 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 5

23 posts
Talking
Hi all. Im a first time android user and the DHD is my first ever smart phone. I only got it because of the informed posts on this site which constituted a lot of my research over the last few months.

I initially ran the temp root (R12) to remove Amazon MP3, facebook etc however I became frustrated at having to re root the thing every reboot. Just completed the Perma-root and it did exactly what it said on the tin with no issues .

Paul is a very clever guy and deserves all the credit he gets for doing this. Cheers for all the help XDA. I wont post much but will keep watching
12th November 2010, 05:01 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 222

130 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Agreed! Except i'm not so clear on the process on getting S-OFF and I understand that it is quite risky. IMO as it stands at the moment we should wait until we have an easier method to obtain s-off before we encourage noobs (like me) to do it!
12th November 2010, 05:08 PM   |  #8  
Flag Nicosia
Thanks Meter: 292

3,085 posts
Donate to Me
More
is anybody out there willing to make another tutorial? Or perhaps alter the ones we have now to incorporate using this app.
12th November 2010, 05:08 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 72

608 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk22

Agreed! Except i'm not so clear on the process on getting S-OFF and I understand that it is quite risky. IMO as it stands at the moment we should wait until we have an easier method to obtain s-off before we encourage noobs (like me) to do it!

Flashing HBOOT is ALWAYS risky.

Refer to my guide on how to "easily" flash the engineering (S-OFF) HBOOT and you should be able todo it without much effort without a PC. So far I have done about seven or eight DHD's without problems.

Basicly if you make two dumps of the current HBOOT and they don't match, do not continue you will likely end up with a brick. My backup script will dump it twice and show you the MD5 sums, if they match reading and writing should go flawlessly.

Quote:

is anybody out there willing to make another tutorial? Or perhaps alter the ones we have now to incorporate using this app.

I had this already done two days ago

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=835746
12th November 2010, 05:11 PM   |  #10  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 38

189 posts
Sorry to ask, but what is S-OFF once the Desire HD is temp or perma-rooted ?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread