Success with imei
Hope somebody might benefit from my experience and avoid stupidity.
After my attempt to do network unlock screwing the nv_data I've lost my original serial number as well as imei. This is a big deal because it is identification number of the phone that should be protected to avoid identity theft.
Luckily I saved a copy of nv_data.bin of SD card before screwing around.
My limited research showed that without such copy I would have only one choice to ask Samsung for repair or live with Wifi tablet.
I made a call to their technical support and tried honestly describe my problem. You will love this - the lady told me that I need to call Microsoft and was going to give a phone number. I stopped there :).
Today I did research of my Vibrant (younger Galaxy brother) and discovered that there is no way I can generate md5 hash for my nv_data. Samsung is using something else in addition to the .bin file. I also found product code for T-mobile US, that is TMB.
This code should be in two places
@ offset 0x18800F was SER changed to TMB
@ offset 0x188021 was SER changed to TMB
- saved modified nv_data.bin to sd card,
- using root explorer copied it to efs/ directory
- deleted md5 file existed in that directory
Now everything came back. T-mobile recognizes me as legitimate customer.
Conclusions: don't trust everything is said on forums and do your own research or be prepared to suffer.
Although this is not a complete picture you can get a point.