Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,427 Members 41,271 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] US Tmobile Galaxy Tab flashed to make phone calls

Tip us?

adinis78
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtcee View Post
how long does it take to swap out the modem ?
just curious cause i asked the other day if it was easy to make a modem switch
i flashed the vibrant modem.bin on the tab and did not work with my Vibrant voice/data plan, every time i launched the browser it took me to the tmo website, flashed back to stock modem.bin....
Old: G1, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant; Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000

Current: Samsung Galaxy Tab P6800

rotohammer
Old
Thanks Meter 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtech View Post
That is very interesting as the euro ROM + euro modem.bin does work will on at&t with voice and 3g on the EURO model.
I wonder why the same does not work on the T-Mobile model (with euro ROM+ euro modem.bin)...
I figure you would not get 3G but you should at least get EDGE (data+voice) to work on at&t.
Its different hardware due to the different 3g frequencies T-mobile USA uses.
-Rotohammer
T879 Note on T-Mobile
Do not quote my entire first post in a reply!

clubtech
Old
Thanks Meter 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohammer View Post
Its different hardware due to the different 3g frequencies T-mobile USA uses.
But the people who flashed the euro firmware+modem on the t-mobile device were able to get EDGE data + voice on T-mobile (850Mhz/1900Mhz EDGE) so why would the same not work on at&t?
Or do i have my information all wrong here?
HARDWARE: AT&T 8285 > iPhone 3G > Toshiba TG01 > iPhone 3GS > HD2 > AT&T N1 > EVO 4G > Samsung Galaxy S > Samsung Galaxy Tab > Samsung Nexus S > Atrix 4G > Motorola Xoom > Thunderbolt > Galaxy S II > Galaxy Tab 10.1 > HTC Flyer > E4GT > Galaxy Note > Galaxy S 3 > Galaxy Note II > HTC One > Galaxy Note 8 > Galaxy S 4

rotohammer
Old
Thanks Meter 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtech View Post
But the people who flashed the euro firmware+modem on the t-mobile device were able to get EDGE data + voice on T-mobile (850Mhz/1900Mhz EDGE) so why would the same not work on at&t?
Or do i have my information all wrong here?
Ok, Ill elaborate. It does work, but with very low signal. Theres something odd about how it sets up the cellular radio. As soon as I flash a different one, the signal strength jumps from no bars to 5. I have a multi-band cellular repeater in my office, so its not a bad signal.

Now, since the Vibrant radio.bin didn't enable 3G, that leaves us with the /system/lib/lib*ril*.so files. They have everything to do with 3G enabling. I'm going to start swapping in the libs from the US firmware into the Euro one.

At this point, I feel phone + 3G is achievable. I'm not so sure T-mobiles proxy internet block is solvable. I've already ditched the idea of switching to T-Mobile for all my service. They can bite me!

In a nutshell, some of us will have it all. Its going to take either some libraries/software and/or a particular radio.bin.
-Rotohammer
T879 Note on T-Mobile

maxtcee
Old
Thanks Meter 68
so best bet is to return my tab to tmobile and gett att on black fri

rotohammer
Old
Thanks Meter 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtcee View Post
so best bet is to return my tab to tmobile and gett att on black fri
I'm not so sure yet. I just picked up a Simple Mobile SIM locally and its working better than the AT&T SIM in that on EDGE, AT&T in my area has a 450ms latency, whereas T-Mobile (the backbone of Simple Mobile) is only 220ms. Simple Mobile is a heck of a lot cheaper than anyone else and theres no bull**** Internet blocking going on. I think it may be the only winner in the short run.
-Rotohammer
T879 Note on T-Mobile

maxtcee
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Well that's good news

maxtcee
Old
Thanks Meter 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotohammer View Post
I'm not so sure yet. I just picked up a Simple Mobile SIM locally and its working better than the AT&T SIM in that on EDGE, AT&T in my area has a 450ms latency, whereas T-Mobile (the backbone of Simple Mobile) is only 220ms. Simple Mobile is a heck of a lot cheaper than anyone else and theres no bull**** Internet blocking going on. I think it may be the only winner in the short run.
anyway you can do a full write up as to what methods you did from start to finish all on one page so we can have easy access to it
right now im following 3 -4 different threads on all this

Adapt0r
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Default Success with imei

Hi guys
Hope somebody might benefit from my experience and avoid stupidity.
After my attempt to do network unlock screwing the nv_data I've lost my original serial number as well as imei. This is a big deal because it is identification number of the phone that should be protected to avoid identity theft.
Luckily I saved a copy of nv_data.bin of SD card before screwing around.
My limited research showed that without such copy I would have only one choice to ask Samsung for repair or live with Wifi tablet.
I made a call to their technical support and tried honestly describe my problem. You will love this - the lady told me that I need to call Microsoft and was going to give a phone number. I stopped there :).
Today I did research of my Vibrant (younger Galaxy brother) and discovered that there is no way I can generate md5 hash for my nv_data. Samsung is using something else in addition to the .bin file. I also found product code for T-mobile US, that is TMB.
This code should be in two places
@ offset 0x18800F was SER changed to TMB
@ offset 0x188021 was SER changed to TMB
Then I
- saved modified nv_data.bin to sd card,
- using root explorer copied it to efs/ directory
- deleted md5 file existed in that directory
- rebooted.
Now everything came back. T-mobile recognizes me as legitimate customer.
Conclusions: don't trust everything is said on forums and do your own research or be prepared to suffer.
Although this is not a complete picture you can get a point.
Cheers!

rotohammer
Old
Thanks Meter 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adapt0r View Post
After my attempt to do network unlock screwing the nv_data I've lost my original serial number as well as imei. This is a big deal because it is identification number of the phone that should be protected to avoid identity theft.
Luckily I saved a copy of nv_data.bin of SD card before screwing around.
Very interesting. Could you describe which technique you used that trashed the nv_data.bin file? We want folks to stay away from that. I just got word that my technique just worked for someone else, without trashing the IMEI or serial number.

Regardless, the process is totally reversible if you backup your files first.

Also, the carrier code in my original nv_data.bin is set to KOR, which I assume means KORea.
-Rotohammer
T879 Note on T-Mobile

The Following User Says Thank You to rotohammer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]